Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jun 10, 2009, 04:13 PM
Registered User
tubamike78's Avatar
looks like a nice little gyro. i see you have listed for the Transmitter as a futaba 10C and a receiver as ar6100e.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2009, 04:38 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
You all are setting the bar so high, I hope I can keep up!!
You'll be fine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubamike78
i see you have listed for the Transmitter as a futaba 10C and a receiver as ar6100e.

That is correct.. I am using a Futaba 10C with a Spektrum module and a AR6100E rx..
Jun 11, 2009, 10:22 AM
Registered User
Hello,

I receive my autogyro and ... at first I don't know how to attach the landinf gear ...

There are no screws ... no links ... nothing to attach it.
There are just small holes in the fuse plate

What can I do normaly with the landing gear ?

Thank you for your help

Remi - Belgium
Jun 11, 2009, 10:31 AM
RC Group therapist
Boneswamped's Avatar
The following prices are from the web-site:

Prices:

Autogyro - RAINBOW, preassembled kit: 159.00, intro special: 145.00U$
Autogyro RAINBOW combo, including motor, prop adapter and propeller
(MEGA RC 400/15/7, prop adapter , propeller APC 9x6E): 216.00, intro special: 195.00U$
Upgrade:
4-blade rotor head: 24.00
4 rotor blades (paired): 29.00

They are certainly proud of it! Bears and Bulls make money......Pigs loose.
-Mike
Jun 11, 2009, 11:04 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinflandres
Hello,

I receive my autogyro and ... at first I don't know how to attach the landinf gear ...

There are no screws ... no links ... nothing to attach it.
There are just small holes in the fuse plate

What can I do normaly with the landing gear ?

Thank you for your help

Remi - Belgium
When I first saw how the landing gear is installed, I was a little skeptical; The gear is simply sewn onto the former using needle and thread. I lashed the gear to the former and then hit the thread with some thin CA. I am very happy to report that to date, the gear is holding very, very well. Sew on!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Autogyro - RAINBOW, preassembled kit: 159.00, intro special: 145.00U$
Autogyro RAINBOW combo, including motor, prop adapter and propeller
(MEGA RC 400/15/7, prop adapter , propeller APC 9x6E): 216.00, intro special: 195.00U$
Upgrade:
4-blade rotor head: 24.00
4 rotor blades (paired): 29.00

They are certainly proud of it! Bears and Bulls make money......Pigs loose.
-Mike
This review is of the $145 ARC.. I apologize for neglecting to put it in the specs. I simply forgot to put it down.

The ARC is $145, it is a CNC routed pre-assembled kit out of some of the finest wood I have seen to date.. The assembly is beautifully done.. The entire aircraft is 95% assembled. The rotor blades are assembled - no sanding shaping required (those rotors are decently priced.) The rotor head comes with high quality hardware installed and ready to use, this is one of the first kits in a LONG time I didn't toss the hardware.

If you don't like the price, no one is holding your feet to the fire to buy one.. It is very much in line with other gyro's on the market in this state of preparedness. You could always go buy a depron kit for $75 and take your time to build it..
Jun 11, 2009, 11:15 AM
RC Group therapist
Boneswamped's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
When I first saw how the landing gear is installed, I was a little skeptical; The gear is simply sewn onto the former using needle and thread. I lashed the gear to the former and then hit the thread with some thin CA. I am very happy to report that to date, the gear is holding very, very well. Sew on!




This review is of the $145 ARC.. I apologize for neglecting to put it in the specs. I simply forgot to put it down.

The ARC is $145, it is a CNC routed pre-assembled kit out of some of the finest wood I have seen to date.. The assembly is beautifully done.. The entire aircraft is 95% assembled. The rotor blades are assembled - no sanding shaping required (those rotors are decently priced.) The rotor head comes with high quality hardware installed and ready to use, this is one of the first kits in a LONG time I didn't toss the hardware.

If you don't like the price, no one is holding your feet to the fire to buy one.. It is very much in line with other gyro's on the market in this state of preparedness. You could always go buy a depron kit for $75 and take your time to build it..
Thanks Tram, I'm fully aware that I won't be forced to purchase a Rainbow. The point I'm making is about the over pricing of the kits these days. The Depron kits you mentioned are a perfect example; $75 bucks for $10 of depron and $12 bucks of carbon. If you don't want to hear the positive, AND negative feedback without getting offended, I'd refrain from posting reviews.
Regards,
-Mike
Jun 11, 2009, 11:21 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
The point I'm making is about the over pricing of the kits these days. The Depron kits you mentioned are a perfect example; $75 bucks for $10 of depron and $12 bucks of carbon. If you don't want to hear the positive, AND negative feedback without getting offended, I'd refrain from posting reviews.
Regards,
-Mike
Did I say I don't want to hear negative? I appreciate the negative.. Often, the negative comments are the ones that drive me to change things I may be presenting in a review. If I am messing up, please, by all means, let me know.

I however, didn't take your comments as negative, nor was I offended. I guess I should have been?

I understand the point you are making. You feel the kits price is too high. Just out of curiosity, what would this kit rate as a "decent price" for you?
Jun 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
RC Group therapist
Boneswamped's Avatar
Let me be clear; your review of the kit is quite good. I'm not attacking your review. I am however sick of overpriced kits, which is why I am building more and more from plans these days. If you choose to defend prices like that, it only encourages manufactures to over charge. The blades in the kit seem to be priced fairly, but the remainder of the kit hardly justifies the total cost. I will stick with my original opinion that this kit, like most others is grossly overpriced. The argument that it is comparable to the others just confirms the pricing has gotten out of control. The manufacturers will continue to maximize thier profit margin because the market will bear it, not because the products are incredible.
-Mike
Last edited by Boneswamped; Jun 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM.
Jun 11, 2009, 11:54 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Let me be clear; your review of the kit is quite good. I'm not attacking your review.
I didn't feel attacked..

Quote:
If you choose to defend prices like that, it only encourages manufactures to over charge. The blades in the kit seem to be priced fairly, but the remainder of the kit hardly justifies the total cost.
I'm not defending the price as much as I can see the value in the price.. Had I not been able to see the value in the price, I would have no issues mentioning it..

There are tons of $120 foamies out there, that I just don't see the value of.

I would guess the kit has the following:

$25 worth of wood(at a minimum as the wood feel contest grade or very close.) I've mentioned several times, it is the nicest wood I've come across in 20 years of flying..
$25 worth of rotors
$30 worth of hardware (the carbon boom alone is close to $20)..
$10 worth of CNC cut time..

So.. We're at $90 for the "parts." The assembly time has to be worth something, and of course, that is a subjective amount..

For someone who has no time to build, that time is worth quite a bit.
For someone who has plenty of time to build, it means less..

How much did the company pay to have it assembled? Let's put a cheap value of say.. $15 to have it built for you..

$90 + $15 = $105

Let's put a value of our own time onto it.. Let's say it would take 2 hours to build.. I think you could probably, if the kit were not framed up, build it in around 2 hours without much trouble..

$90 + 2 hours of your time = X

X is totally subjective, as even in the state it arrives, it needs to be covered and final assembly needs to be finished.

For me, $90 + 2 hours of my time = ~$150.. However, my time is extremely lilmited.. So it would actually cost me a little more..

Quote:
I will stick with my original opinion that this kit, like most others is grossly overpriced.
Overpriced? Perhaps..
Grossly overprice? Not a chance..

Quote:
The manufacturers will continue to maximize thier profit margin because the market will bear it, not because the products are incredible.
-Mike
Well, we are all trying to make money with our professions.. The guys making airplane kits are trying to make money.. The plumbers laying pipe are trying to make money.. The guys driving the school busses are trying to make money..

What you do for a living, you are trying to maximize your profit margin.
I am trying to maximize my profit margin..

While it would be nice to have to spend no money on our hobbies (I could use some new golf clubs) I just don't see that happening..

Jeff
Jun 11, 2009, 12:04 PM
RC Group therapist
Boneswamped's Avatar
Pick up the marbles Jeff, you win. By the way, I am not interested in profit margin with my profession, I am in the Military making 1/3 of what my civilian counterparts make. Some of are not driven by money, nor do we have excess to spend on over priced kits.
-Mike
Jun 11, 2009, 12:06 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Pick up the marbles Jeff, you win.
I'm not trying to "win." <-- this isn't one of those sarcastic smiles.. Internet, no inflection, that sort of stuff..

Please don't think I'm trying to be argumentative, etc, etc, as I'm really not.. Just trying to have a simple discussion with someone and on the net, it often turns to look like a "who's got the bigger unit" contest..

It just grates me a little bit when people will come and shout "overpriced, overpriced" and yet, when the cost of the product is examined, it may actually not be overpriced..

I have no horses in the Rainbow Autogyro race.. If you buy one awesome. If you don't buy one, awesome.. However, to throw a blanket statement over it as "overpriced" without looking at the costs involved..

There are things I will willingly pay for, that other think is absurd.
There are things others will willingly pay for, that I think is absurd.

It just the way the world works..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
By the way, I am not interested in profit margin with my profession
Of course you are.. You must net a profit to pay bills and be able to afford RC in the first place..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Some of are not driven by money, nor do we have excess to spend on over priced kits.
LOL.. I'll give you a hint into who has excess.. I'm a regional airline FO.. It isn't me...
Last edited by Tram; Jun 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
Jun 11, 2009, 12:40 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Pick up the marbles Jeff, you win. By the way, I am not interested in profit margin with my profession, I am in the Military making 1/3 of what my civilian counterparts make. Some of are not driven by money, nor do we have excess to spend on over priced kits.
-Mike
But kit manufacturers can't all register as a charity along side Unicef and the World Wildlife Fund... they can't survive without charging something more than what it costs to make. And for niche products within a niche market even more so.
Jun 11, 2009, 01:03 PM
RC Group therapist
Boneswamped's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
But kit manufacturers can't all register as a charity along side Unicef and the World Wildlife Fund... they can't survive without charging something more than what it costs to make. And for niche products within a niche market even more so.
I appreciate you point of view, and Jeff's for that matter. It's just silly to say that because I would like to see better prices that I'm suggesting the manufacturers register as charity. I think the two of you have sufficiently beaten the dead horse. I for one will leave the conversation alone at this point.
Regards,
-Mike

p.s. I like some of your designs, very interesting. LOL I also saw your Dead Horse Picture......Irony is grand.
Jun 11, 2009, 01:47 PM
Stress Be Gone
GBR2's Avatar
Figuring if something is overpriced really is quite simple. If you don't want to buy something because you think it cost to much, it is overpriced. If you are willing to spend the money to buy it, it isn't overpriced. At least to you. It all comes down to the individual in the end.
Jun 11, 2009, 04:46 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
LOL I also saw your Dead Horse Picture......Irony is grand.
A wise man once said "If you don't want to hear the positive, AND negative feedback without getting offended, I'd refrain from posting.."



Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools