This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 09, 2008, 11:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The war on your lap

Hillary's prayers against Amazon finally overwhelmed us. In fact, this is the first laptop ever paid for out of the Jack Crossfire general fund. The days of corporate freebees R over.

Acer Extensa EX5620-4020 Intel Pentium dual-core T2370(1.73GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB Memory 250GB HDD DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X3100 NoteBook - Retail

$549.99 + $100 tax & shipping

Its screen is 3/4 the resolution of Amazon's 2005 resolution & much more faded. Its CPU is 670Mhz slower than Amazon 2005. It has no RS232 or parallel port. Its memory & hard drive R twice Amazon 2005. The combination of weight & inflation put historic screen & CPU speed out of reach. Only memory got cheaper, thanks to Micron's daily writedowns.

Fortunately, the dual cores make it very responsive & Linux actually supports some OpenGL features on it. Forget about sleep mode & OpenGL shaders of course.

In 2005, we needed a powerful heavy desktop replacement for tradeshows & demos. Now we need a disposable, light ground station for VicaCopter. Laptops fall apart too quickly to justify spending the money to recover what we had in 2005.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2008, 05:37 AM
kalteisen.com
Nice laptop.

I also run Linux, though currently it's not on my laptop. I'm a Linux sys admin at my day job. My biggest system is a PACS system (digital CT, ultrasounds, etc) with 2 nodes using Veritas HA and Veritas LVM. Got about 35 terabytes of fibre attached SAN storage on it and each node has 16 CPUs with 32GB RAM.

My desktop at work is Linux, but my laptop has XP on it. I'd love to switch back to Fedora on it, but I do too much video capture and CAD. I've tried all the Linux based CAD packages and just can't find one I like as well as TurboCAD. I've also tried all the video editing stuff and can't find a good one. The other big deal is my iPod. I LOVE iTunes and my family buys a lot of video off the iTunes store. I have not been able to make it sync up inside a VMWare session. If I could get that to work I'd run the an XP session inside Linux on the laptop.

Q

Quick Reply