Jul 12, 2008, 03:47 PM
treefinder
If I'd posted it last nite, you could have seen it then. Oh well, the offer still stands, Let me know, and we'll have to set a fly date. Weather supposed to be ok first part of next week.

The ships will look super in the air!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2008, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
So you are telling me that i need to get this done in the next week or so huh?

I have been thinking about going to Oshkosh this year. I haven't been since i was a kid living with my parents! They go every year and camp for the week.

Is there someplace that they allow RC planes to fly? If they do, and I go i would certainly have to bring some!!!

My Enterprise is nearly ready for flight. I will move the Fury up in the build que.
excerpt from EAA Airventure website

One of the more popular KidVenture activities is radio-controlled (RC) flying, but in years past it's been mostly a spectator sport. This year the kids get to try them out themselves thanks to the use of "buddy boxes." Students will be able to hold and operate RC transmitters and fly the airplanes, while instructors stand by with other boxes that can override the students' to prevent crashes.

I'll definitely be attending the airshow this year, arriving 27 July and departing mid-week. Taking every foamie I've got. Had not planned on volunteering at KidVenture, but I'll start a dialogue with someone at EAA and get the scoop. May start a separate thread on Airventure to see if other scratchbuilders are going and would be intereasted in volunteering.

KW
Jul 16, 2008, 07:29 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Thread OP
You are making it very difficult to resist going!

I think it would be pretty awesome to fly my Space vehicles out there.

Probably need to have an AMA membership to fly though... Maybe not.
Jul 16, 2008, 07:36 AM
Ken's CAD Models
I am pretty sure you will need AMA membership, as AMA and EAA have been working in close partnership in recent years. You could always opt for the Park Pilot membership, which gets you the insurance and 4 magazines a year. I think it is $29.95. Much cheaper than the full membership that I carry at $58 a year.

Ken
Jul 16, 2008, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
You are making it very difficult to resist going!

I think it would be pretty awesome to fly my Space vehicles out there.

Probably need to have an AMA membership to fly though... Maybe not.
Email sent to EAA. If this is the first year they are doing this, what an opportunity to give back! I'll bet a number of RCGroup folk are going anyway and have no idea they can participate. I was thinking of the opportunity to let young people 'get a taste' of rc. I have a trainer cord and buddy box...

You may be right on the AMA membership - we'll see what kind of reply I get from [email protected]

KW
Last edited by kwinters; Jul 17, 2008 at 11:15 AM.
Jul 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
EAA emailed me a 'volunteer letter' which I filled out and emailed back. Committed to Monday and Tuesday. Still no lead on who's the head RC guy...will post details ASAP. I am attaching the letter and contact info...

cschroeder at eaa.org.

This will be great. Electric foamies at OSH! So, Talon...you in or what?
Jul 17, 2008, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Looks like probably no. Just got a call and i may be heading to San Fransisco on Thursday and Friday then off to Alabama.

Sometimes work really is a hassle isn't it?

It appears that i will probably have a little time tonight to get some more progress on the Fury.

I split my wings and put in a tip to tip dowel in each wing.so it should be ready to assemble tonight.

Unfortunately i bought some pink Fanfold and it is CRAPPY!!!! terrible bubbles in the skinned surface, every sheet has a huge bow in it, overall i think pink fanfold sucks!

I may have to find someone that has the good stuff. =(
Jul 23, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
OK all assembled and ready for electronics.

The weight came out pretty heavy on this one... That dang Pink Fanfold crap.

The Airframe with nothing on it is 7oz!!! THat is WAY too much.

I weighed a sheet of the Blue Protection board and ti came out at about 4 oz., A sheet of the Pink was 6.5oz!!! That is crap. I wanted to have a 1.5:1 Thrust ratio or better. Now as it stands i am going to be just a bit over 1:1

I am going to strip off the covering on all of the foam and see how it looks. I hate to lose the strength that it adds but i think it will be better to be lighter.

Anyhow, here it is without the Ailerons on. I forgot to tape them on before i put it in the car this morning.

I took these pics at my office with my cell phone so they are kinda crappy.

Looks sweet though!

As you can see in the pics, i left the Engine verticals connected when i glued it. It really helped keep everything straight and evenly spaced.

GOing to paint the whole thing Gray and Black with a Tiger on the roof. My Bro-In-Law is a great airbrush artist
Jul 23, 2008, 01:59 PM
Sweet!
Jul 23, 2008, 02:05 PM
skumgummi dave
To Cool!

Dave-
Jul 24, 2008, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
Ok, so i spent the whole night peeling the damn skin off the Fury.

The more i use it the more i hate pink fanfold.

The skin is NOT the same thickness across the piece and the skin is what makes the finish on the foam so crappy. Some parts the skin was super thin, i mean like extremely thin tissue paper. Which of course made it nearly impossible to peel. Then other areas was thicker than a piece of paper!! Of course that area is super easy to peel.

Anyhow. Bare airframe weight before peel was 8.2 oz. now it is 7.0 oz. over an ounce just in crappy skin!

I am going to hunt down a new bundle of bluecore. I am so annoyed with this pink stuff.

Anyhow. I will be putting the motor and controls in tonight and should do a maiden either tonight or tomorrow.

Gonna be cool!
Jul 24, 2008, 09:38 AM
Really looking forward to how this one performs SGTalon, BAB5 was one of my favourite shows while it was on and the fury's were awesome, nice to see a Sci Fi show actually give a nod to inertia in the handling of a space craft. I was wondering if this design would work as a pusher as well as a tractor so will have to wait and see what your build performs like.

Good luck
Jul 24, 2008, 08:48 PM
Thread OP
The Fury is ready for paint!

Painting it tomorrow at work

That means Maiden tomorrow night.

I have to say that it is looking VERY nice.

I did have a small problem though. I started to cut the engine nacelles apart as the plans show and i noticed that they are VERY flimsy. So i glued it back together and just trimmed it to look a bit nicer.

I think that it is going to have to stay connected. I will update the drawings to make the connection look cooler for the plans that i release but they are just hanging out there too far to be strong enough.

It would be like having 4 extra, VERY LARGE ailerons going all over the place when you are trying to fly! Didn't look like a good idea.

So keep watching! Maiden tomorrow!
Jul 24, 2008, 09:49 PM
treefinder
Gonna be a wild looking "plane" especiallly with paint!

Allied Building products on Groesbeck about 13mi? High perf (double skin, layflat) was about $41/bundle 9 months ago. I had the same problem. started with pink, found blu and never went back. anyone need half a bundle of pink fff?
Jul 25, 2008, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
I painted it.

Quick Reply