Oct 11, 2015, 09:45 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Thread OP
You suggested it when we first started working on it Ken. I will keep the detachable option for a last resort. I think I am getting there. I will trim the cockpit vertical down a little and perhaps add a balancing feature on the opposite side.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2015, 01:06 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Maybe reducing the thickness of that vertical to 3mm ? That would cut the frontal area in half. I could do this at no additional cost.

Ken
Oct 12, 2015, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
I don't know if it is a frontal area thing. But that is something to try for sure.

I am going to be out of town the next couple days so no chance to work on it until I get back. I am going to start with replacing that piece with something smaller. Then add something on the opposite side to balance.

I think I am going to add some clear plastic fins to the back to assist with stability too.
Oct 12, 2015, 03:33 PM
Ken's CAD Models
If we get something the same distance from the centerline opposite it, it will work.

Ken
Oct 12, 2015, 04:07 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Maybe something like this taking advantage of the natural feature in the Millennium Falcon.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Oct 12, 2015 at 06:13 PM.
Oct 12, 2015, 04:31 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Same as with the Cylon Raider , reduce vertical profile area in front of the CG , and increase it behind .... No need for “plastic" cheater fins ... The Cylon Raider flew Super !!!
cylon raider (2 min 54 sec)
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 12, 2015, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
That is exactly what I was thinking with the balancing vertical Ken.
Oct 12, 2015, 06:48 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
That is exactly what I was thinking with the balancing vertical Ken.
Here's another view.

Ken
Oct 12, 2015, 08:02 PM
Could the new feature be on both sides or would that defeat the purpose?
Oct 12, 2015, 08:41 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterize
Could the new feature be on both sides or would that defeat the purpose?
We'll have to see what happens in test flights. Initially this is to counterbalance the cockpit drag.

Ken
Oct 12, 2015, 09:32 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Alternative Servo location

What do you think of this servo location. More forward and hidden below.

Ken
Oct 13, 2015, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
I like that. I am just way out of practice with building. Didn't even think of putting it there!!

I am out of town for most of the week but when I get back, I will probably try out the balance parts.

I think it will fly pretty good once it is balanced properly. The wing loading is nice. Should have no problem with the skins like I did on the D7!
Oct 14, 2015, 06:29 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
I like that. I am just way out of practice with building. Didn't even think of putting it there!!

I am out of town for most of the week but when I get back, I will probably try out the balance parts.

I think it will fly pretty good once it is balanced properly. The wing loading is nice. Should have no problem with the skins like I did on the D7!
Already got a new cut file done with new servo position and counterbalance fins if desired.

Ken
Oct 15, 2015, 10:47 AM
Can't wait guys!!! Already have a paint scheme picked out!
Oct 15, 2015, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
That's pretty funny Wartoy. But you are probably going to want the skins. It won't be as cool if it doesn't look lie the original.

Quick Reply