EPParasol - Full fuse, Fun and Easy! - RC Groups
Jul 05, 2008, 11:00 AM
Planes are cool ;)
Build Log

EPParasol - Full fuse, Fun and Easy!

Introduction

Hey all, here’s my latest design’n’build. Since usually my designs turn out unflyable by anyone but me (most times even by me ) I thought I’d turn it around and build something stable, easy and fun to fly. This plane was really designed for my dad, who pretty much always comes flying with me as cameraman and moral support, but hasn’t yet got past a few flights on our pico-stick.

So design requirements; stable, full fuse, good EPP structure to make it prangtastic; but all in the style of an older aircraft. I chose a golden age parasol for a theme since that would fill a lot of the criteria.

The build was pretty slow, probably a total of ten hours or so, but I was designing as I built and I wanted to make a good job of it. I reckon I could probably build it again in much less time, now I know what I'm doing

Here’s some specs;
Wingspan 24”, Chord (Root/Tip) 9”/7”, Length 24” AUW 170g
Blue Wonder 1700kv, 8*3.8 slofly prop, 6A ESC, 2 cell 460mAh
GWS receiver with 2* 3.6g servos

Old Foamies' old timer version patterns - post 147

Edit: Plans now included. NOTE tiled plans are in A4, so check your print settings. If you want them in Letter, Daoldguy has very kindly posted some in Post 12 down the page. Thanks Ron!

I've tried to include a lot of pictures because everyone likes pictures, right?
Last edited by Hughbert; Feb 10, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2008, 11:00 AM
Planes are cool ;)

Maiden Report

We progressed from back-garden glide tests, to steet taxi-hop tests to maiden flight in the space of about an hour, with maybe 20mins daylight left for the maiden. It was pretty much all I hoped for, very slow, stable and easy to fly, and looked just great in the air. The BW gave easily enough pull for simple rudder-elevator aerobatics, loops, stall turns, e.t.c. and I felt confident enough to really throw it around… and each time it came back to a nice stable flight-line

After cajoling my dad that it was still light enough for him to have a go, I went back to the car to get another battery when he must’ve chucked it without me Anyway he buzzed around gently for what was left of the day and landed it in some gorse bushes. No damage, big smile!

A couple of days later we managed to squeeze another quick flight, taking a camera this time to got some flying shots (see first post )
Jul 05, 2008, 11:03 AM
Planes are cool ;)

Build log; The wing.

There isn’t really anything that makes you start with the wing, but I did because I already had a flat-plate wing from a ‘gutted’ aircraft that I wanted to mod (which also explains the 'servo holes' you can see, which I just taped over).

Basically I removed the CF rod that had been acting as a main spar, extend the slit to each wing tip and used it as a fold line to make a very simple, very strong undercambered wing.

After that I cut it in half and added a ‘rear triangle dihedral brace’ which should be explained pretty well from the pictures- basically pushes the backs of the wing out so the tips go up.
Jul 05, 2008, 11:06 AM
Planes are cool ;)

Build log; The Fuse

The fuse is a standard box section fuse, with square formers glued onto one side, the other side glued on, and the tail glued together to form the shape. I added a 2mm CF rod along the rear upper deck to prevent the tail from twisting.

Rear tail surfaces were just glued straight on, trying to keep everything square.
Jul 05, 2008, 11:10 AM
Planes are cool ;)

Build log; Everything Else

So putting the rest together turned out to be pretty easy. The cabanes were 'eyeballed' and modded until they fit. Afterwards I realised that the cabanes could easily have been part of the fuse sides. Each cabane was reinforced with a 2mm CF rod, and the wings were glued in place.

The undercarriage was made from 3mm CF, crossed over onto an EPP former. The motor, servos and pushrods were all fitted as usual. The lower decking was glued in place, and the equipment hatch was made from a rectangle of EPP with a tape hinge at one end and a velcro 'catch' at the other end.

I added a bit of down and right thrust to the motor, but then had to trim out the right thrust so maybe just down thrust would have done. The CG was about 30% of the chord, and seemed pretty spot on.
Jul 05, 2008, 11:49 AM
I'll have the roast duck

simple plans

Looks nice! I would be interested in simple drawing. What motor are you using? Thanks, Scott
Jul 05, 2008, 03:33 PM
Planes are cool ;)
I'm using a Blue Wonder with 6A speed control. The motors rated for more power, but I don't really need it on this one.

I'll do a drawing when I get the chance.

Hugh
Jul 06, 2008, 11:17 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Hugh.... Very nice little plane my friend, simple, stable,and friendly. That BW has got to be plenty of power for it. 170g AUW is great!

I would be interested in a rough draft if you get around to it. This could be the indoor bird I am looking for.

Ron
Jul 06, 2008, 01:25 PM
Planes are cool ;)
Well a quick sketch turned into a full plan pretty quickly Inkscape and Scale&Tile sure make it pretty easy!

Plans in first post; any feedback welcome I'm not able to print at home, so if someone who's interested could print for me and check all the scaling e.t.c. that would be much appreciated.

Hugh
Jul 07, 2008, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughbert
Well a quick sketch turned into a full plan pretty quickly Inkscape and Scale&Tile sure make it pretty easy!

Plans in first post; any feedback welcome I'm not able to print at home, so if someone who's interested could print for me and check all the scaling e.t.c. that would be much appreciated.

Hugh
Hey Hugh,

I printed the tiled version and your scale comes out dead on with my ruler. Give a guy and inch, he thinks he is a ruler. ok, that what cheesey.

Thanks for putting this together, I have heard of Scale and Tile but Inkscape is a new one. Looks like I need to order some foam.

Ron
Jul 07, 2008, 06:48 AM
Planes are cool ;)
Glad you like it Ron, and thanks for the scale check .
Inkscape is a free vector-based graphical program, vector-based meaning it saves lines not pixels - so you can zoom in as close as you want and it doesn't go pixelated. Also you can set a grid of say 1inch squares on the page and then draw a path snapping to the grid points, so my scrawled hand measurements become a nice, neat and accurate plan in no time

You're right about the blue wonder as well, it stooges around gently at about 1/3 throttle but WOT and it just points up. With 6A it doesn't really have the power for unlimited vertical, but it is a trainer after all

Thinking about flying indoors, you'd probably want quite big throws for those tight turns - I deliberately gave mine lower throws to make it 'smoother' to fly. When the indoor season comes around, I'll probably dial them up a bit

Hugh
Jul 08, 2008, 05:33 PM
Planes are cool ;)
Thanks to Ron spotting an error in the plans I had a quick look over and made a few changes. New plans are up.

Hugh
Jul 08, 2008, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Thanks to Ron spotting an error in the plans I had a quick look over and made a few changes. New plans are up.

Hugh
No worries, of course part of that error was mine.

I split the A0 with Acrobat, it doesn't have as nice of cut marks but it worked great.
Plans are taped together on the table, the much over rated need for sleep is kicked in. No playing with sharp objects while sleeping at foam table.....

Ron
Last edited by DaOldGuy; May 17, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Jul 09, 2008, 01:30 PM
Planes are cool ;)
Thanks Ron, those are great

Quote:
No playing with sharp objects while sleeping at foam table.....
Seems you have the much sought after 'common sense' so the build should be pretty easy for you

I think the only really important thing is to make sure the rear fuse is straight and not banana shaped I did this by gluing the formers to both sides of the fuse first (check they're square), gluing the upper rear decking to the top of the rear former (check it's square) and then gluing the rear sides of the fuse to the rear upper decking and each other. Oh and then check everything is square

Good luck!
Hugh
Jul 09, 2008, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Thanks Ron, those are great

Seems you have the much sought after 'common sense' so the build should be pretty easy for you

I think the only really important thing is to make sure the rear fuse is straight and not banana shaped I did this by gluing the formers to both sides of the fuse first (check they're square), gluing the upper rear decking to the top of the rear former (check it's square) and then gluing the rear sides of the fuse to the rear upper decking and each other. Oh and then check everything is square

Good luck!
Hugh
I got a bad case of banana tail on my first foamey build, FFF blue and the STS, I never let that fruit byte me again after that.

Ron