Jan 28, 2003, 11:00 AM
Thread OP

Master Airscrew or APC?

Im wondering what some of you think. I have been using APC thin E props and breaking them about every 3 flights. On a whim i bought some MAS wood E props. I have about 20 flights with the same prop. There lots stronger but there balance stinks some are almost perfect others need lotsa tape added to balance.

What type of non folder prop do you use?.

Thanks
Pat
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2003, 11:31 AM
Visitor from Reality
Hi Pat
I only tried an APC-E on a bellyflopper for three flights - guess what happened

My best results next to APC-E in the air have been with "Aeronaut" fixed blade props - doesn't seem to matter whether you go for the white, slightly cheaper, 'glass or the black, more expensive ones either! One lasted me three years and lots of flying on my bellyflopping Embat, before it succumbed to rough grass. Hobby Lobby sell them.

MAS wood/E, where it counts, suck juice hard once you get them above 6000 RPM. You'll find much higher current draws at higher RPM, for little gain. Wood, being a really variable kind of material, is more likely to lead to the imbalance you've seen than 'moulded' props.

Regards

Dereck
Jan 28, 2003, 12:22 PM
Hi Dirt Diver,

Check out the "Throw away you speed 400 motors" (or something like that) thread. Sal C did alot of testing and found in many cases the regular nylon Master Airscrew props out performed the APC E props.

He included lots of tables so you can compare the date for yourself.

Best Regards, Mickydee
Jan 28, 2003, 01:36 PM
Ah. The snapping APC syndrome.

Touch wood () I haven't broken one in a while. The secret is to not brake them Gosh those freudian slips...and kill the throttle just before touchdown.

Then they get flicked out of the way.
Jan 28, 2003, 08:14 PM
Single-task at best...
Quote:
Originally posted by vintage1
Ah. The snapping APC syndrome.

Touch wood () I haven't broken one in a while. The secret is to not brake them Gosh those freudian slips...and kill the throttle just before touchdown.

Then they get flicked out of the way.
So it's not just me then?

My little Minibat flies superbly on a 7x5 APC, except that it would be cheaper to run a glo-motor! (Did I really say that? )

I'm trying to find a comparable folder - the Aeronaut 7.5x4 comes closest so far - but it seems a shame that each flight can cost around £4 for a prop. It would be cheaper to fit those draggy wheel-things to it!

tim

Quick Reply