Jan 28, 2003, 05:31 AM
Thread OP

Using a computer power supply for 12V DC?

Hi,

I'm new to the field and was wondering whether I can use a PC power supply for a quick/cheap power source for a field charger at home. Is it possible?

Antec > 12V up to 20A == $60 (and also provides 5V & 3.3V)
http://www.directron.com/pp403x.html

Connector guide (the cord that connects to your hard-drive)
http://pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsDrive-c.html

Regards,
J.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2003, 08:46 AM
Just search the forums. This particular subject has been discussed to the point that it should be common knowledge

In a nutshell, yes you can use a PC power supply. Why you would go out and spend $60 on a new PC power supply when you can get PC power supplies for free, and there are many less expensive, purpose built power supplies, is beyond me.
Jan 28, 2003, 08:50 AM
Yes you can but if you are planning to buy once then I would buy a premade DC power supply rather than buying and converting a PC Power Supply.

I am and many others have been successfull getting free or really cheap computer power supplies at computer repair shops. You do need to pay attention to the amperage that the computer PS provides which depends on the charge and/or batteries that you are charging.

If you do a search on power supply or computer power supply or other similar combinations, you will find alot of information on this topic. You can also check out the battery and charger forum at www.rcuniverse.com

I have two now since I made one and bought one. Here is where I bought mine. I got the PS14KX
www.nowonsale.com
Jan 28, 2003, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
Thanks mgmoore7 ... I'm probably getting the PS15KX ($34.95) from nowonsale.com. Didn't know about the place before and was looking at towerhobbies.com which started at $120.. ouch.

re: the computer power supply..
There are extra power leads from the power supply (350W) I have that isn't in used and figured I could power up a field battery/charger while I'm on the computer. Looks cleaner to just spend the 35 bucks..

J.
Jan 28, 2003, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jchoong

re: the computer power supply..
There are extra power leads from the power supply (350W) I have that isn't in used and figured I could power up a field battery/charger while I'm on the computer. Looks cleaner to just spend the 35 bucks..

J.
Yeh, I don't think it would be a good idea to do that.
Jan 28, 2003, 03:35 PM
Yeah..bad things happen when your comp doesn't have enough power.

Quick Reply