Jul 02, 2008, 11:04 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
Discussion

Brushless Mr. Darby

In response to a question in a different thread, I am posting some details and a couple photos of my brushless upgrade for my Mr. Darby.

The basic hull and running hardware are bone stock Dumas setups. props, prop shafts, stuffing tubes, rudders, hull were bought back in 1984.

power setup is as follows:

2 mamba micro pro ESCs:
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...micro_pro.html

2 cyclon electronic model 60 size brushless outrunners:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=CYLOR60

and a now out of production 4:1 belt drive system originally purchased from subtech, modified with new pulleys to fit the new motors, bought at mcmaster/carr. the new ratio is more like 3.33:1

this is all setup with a futaba 9c radio with mixing on the left hand stick to give me tank style steering with the throttles.

I also programmed the throttle curves and other settings like timing and brake using the castle-link tool to give the boat better handling characteristics.

I haven't yet run it with my datalogger installed, so I don't know yet what kind of amp draw I am getting, but I will update this thread when that is done.

one photo of the radio layout, and one of the motor mounts. in the radio layout photo you can just barely makeout the pink and gold color of the motor cans in the upper corners of the deck hatch, just outboard of the ESCs
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2008, 11:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
Did you have brushed motors before? Was there something wrong with the brushed motors?
Jul 03, 2008, 07:23 AM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
kmot,

"Hello, my name is Tim, and I am a brushless-aholic."

I had the Dumas 12 volt motors and two vantech ESCs originally installed. One of the motors died, not sure exactly what happened, but I am thinking an armature came loose, seizing the motor. Rather than replacing the one motor, I saw this as an opportunity...

There was nothing really "wrong" with the brushed setup, other than the fact that it wasn't brushless.

the boat has also gone through several radio setups. It started with a simple futaba 5 channel fm setup back in 1984, then somewhere around 1995, I had an ACE nautical commander controlling it, which was replaced with the 9c during this upgrade.
Jul 05, 2008, 01:11 PM
Grumpa Tom
Tim, it makes complete sense to me. Sort of like tricking out your car, etc.
Jul 05, 2008, 02:11 PM
Did you leave enough room for all the lead and weight your going to need for that model?
Mine swallowed up 15 pounds of lead in the stern, 5 pounds of Steel in the bow...PLUS the 25 pound Wheelchair battery .......
Jul 05, 2008, 03:12 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
ThrustTugKeith,

no problems with the ballast, it actually works out well:

I use the first photo as the primary battery (and 35 pounds of ballast), and I have 10+ pounds of the second photo sitting in the stern.
Jul 05, 2008, 04:43 PM
Is that a sealed battery? Mines a Gel-Acid Wheelchair battery. So much reserve, I cant drain it.
I'll gather you know why the battery has to be sealed. Just curious.
Jul 05, 2008, 04:48 PM
ooops.....
Last edited by ThrustTugKeith; Jul 05, 2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Mis read
Jul 05, 2008, 06:04 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
Thrust..

the battery is a standard "zero maintenance" car battery.

it is not however a true "sealed" or gelcell type battery.

due to how the battery sits in the boat, and how I maintain the battery, there is no need for anything fancy.
Jul 05, 2008, 10:40 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Sweet,
I think that brushless will take over the boating world
Once the advantages are seen
Have you run her much, any performance differences?
Regards,
Nick
Jul 06, 2008, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal
Thrust..

the battery is a standard "zero maintenance" car battery.

it is not however a true "sealed" or gelcell type battery.

due to how the battery sits in the boat, and how I maintain the battery, there is no need for anything fancy.

Sorry, but you cant see acid eating at the wood.
Jul 06, 2008, 03:07 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
ThrustTugKeith,

Apparently you have had issues with these larger batteries that I haven't. As I said in the third post, this boat has been in the water for 24 years now, using the same basic battery setup, with no issues. I will state for the record however that you do need to treat them with kindness or you are asking for trouble.

nick_75au,

I haven't yet put my data logger on this version, so I don't yet have figures on how much she pulls now. I am very interested to see how it compares with the brushed setup.

I don't have any idea wether it will be better than the original dumas motors, they drew incredibly small amounts of amperage, like 3 amps under full load, so I am not expecting a huge change.

Tim
Jul 06, 2008, 08:20 PM
Mine pulls so hard when weeds at a Regatta became tangled in the props, it spun the mount right outta the bottom of the boat. I couldnt even tell it had happened.

Quick Reply