Jan 28, 2003, 03:34 AM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP

Small receivers - weight comparison - V2.0

Back in September, in the Parkflyer forum, I posted a group picture of several small receivers along with their measured, ready-to-use weights (that's with the antenna AND a crystal installed) here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=62462. Since I've several recent arrivals, I thought I'd do it again, but since there is now a Radio forum, here it is.

In the picture, starting at the top left corner:
Top row: Berg 4*DSP MicroStamp, Berg 5*DSP, HiTec Electron 6
Second row: Plantraco DSP4-SC receiver/speed control
Third row: GWS R6N, Hitec 555

The GWS 6 channel and the 555 are the same ones as in the prior pictures. The Berg 5*DSP is another example (I liked the first one so well I've the second, plus two MicroStamps).

The Plantraco just arrived Monday, so I can't comment on its performance yet. It is in a similar case to GWS receivers, but is said to be full range, and includes a license-built version of the Sirius GFS! speed control. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I expect nothing but exemplary performance from the Electron 6 based on prior experience with several 555s and 535s (and a Supreme 8).

Yes, I know I show 0.9 ounces for the 555 in the other thread, but upon re-weighing all of these tonight I think I was a little pessimistic about it before.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2003, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the update BEC. I have 3 of the Berg5*DSPs and I really like them. I have taken them all out the their cases though and used the included shrink wrap. Any particular reason why you keep yours in the case? I think it would be valid to weigh it without the case since they actually recommend it for some uses (I think mine weighed 10g? I don't remember...). Still not as light as the Berg4 though.
Jan 28, 2003, 04:09 PM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP
Mainly because I haven't gotten around to doing it yet...... the one that's in the Switchback fits in there with the case (and it's between the battery and the fuselage side so having a case is a good thing). We'll see where the other one (the one in this picture) winds up.
Jan 28, 2003, 10:28 PM
the electron fits perfectly in the switchback, butted against the servo tray, with the case on
Jan 29, 2003, 10:51 AM
Here are the weights of my Berg5 and M5. Both weights include the crystal.

10.4g (0.365oz) Berg5*DSP shrink-wrapped
10.9g (0.390oz) FMA M5
Feb 06, 2003, 07:40 PM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP

Tried a Berg MicroStamp - Impressive!

I finally got one of the MicroStamps in a plane - a Wing-E - and gave it a try. Wow! NO weight gain over the GWS R4P that came out of the airplane and over four times the antenna down ground rage. In the air it was solid as a rock even when flying over a spot this plane always glitches at - or did with the R4P! I even occasionally get a glitch in that spot in that park with my other Wing-E which has an FMA M5 in it.

I'll have no concerns flying the MicroStamp at a busy flying site in the future. I like it!
Feb 10, 2003, 12:39 PM
Does anybody know what the range is on the Berg-4? I'm thinking about maybe using it in a handlaunch glider.
Feb 15, 2003, 02:16 PM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP
It's advertised as a full-range receiver and based on my ground range checks, I believe it. It will be fine in your HLG.
Feb 15, 2003, 11:48 PM

berg 4 range

BEC,
I agree with you on the Berg 4 range. I collapsed my antenna , put the transmitter on the ground, and with the motor running about a quarter throttle started walking away from the TX. I got to about 175 feet before the motor started to surge a little. The servos were quiet as a mouse. I had a hitec 555 and did the same test. I got to only 50 ft . Then the servos were flapping around with the motor cutting in and out. I now have two Berg 4 microstamps and no hitecs, and today I was finally able to concentrate on my flying and having fun without worrying about equipment, glitches or interference. One more note on the range,...the designer mentioned they tested the RXs with only 4 inches of antenna wire and got to 1000 feet before slight glitching... Im not worried about range anymore either...
Happy flying what ever you use..
Jul 09, 2003, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the comparison, although you left out the GWS r-4P which weighs a mere 5 grams

Paul
Jul 09, 2003, 01:45 AM
Paul,

Look up at BEC's post re: R4P rx...

I can get my rx down to less than one gram if I simply use a piece of cheese.

Jason
Jul 09, 2003, 01:47 AM
D-o-h. Its too late, I need to get some sleep

Paul

Quick Reply