*Official* Parkzone Ember mod thread. - Page 25 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jan 04, 2013, 02:31 PM
Registered User
karfrik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjW
Just the J3 motor. It slides in slick as snot. The motor leads are a little short. You can either splice in more wire, or bend the pins on the brick up to about a 45 degree angle.
As long as you're messing around up there, though, stick a short piece of the red tubing that comes with a can of WD-40 over the propeller shaft in between the propeller and the large gear.
You'll need a good battery to really get all the benefit. I use the MiniAviation 180. I understand the newer ones are 190s, but my 180s still work well enough I can't justify buying new ones.
Thanks!!...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2013, 04:55 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjW
You'll need a good battery to really get all the benefit. I use the MiniAviation 180. I understand the newer ones are 190s, but my 180s still work well enough I can't justify buying new ones.
If and when you go to replace the 180's, you will find the MiniAviation 190's are really very good. I have used them on my UM P-51 and Pole Cat. The Ember will haul the 190 w/o problems, and provide some decent flight times, well over 20 minutes at or near WOT. FWIW

RD
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Jan 17, 2013, 04:37 PM
Registered User
Has anyone run the vapor gearbox and prop on their Ember? I have the J-3 motor installed and would like more thrust, like my J-3 motored Vapor has. How does the Ember fly with the lesser down thrust of the Vapor gearbox assy? Has anyone tried this?
Jan 17, 2013, 09:41 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards
Has anyone run the vapor gearbox and prop on their Ember? I have the J-3 motor installed and would like more thrust, like my J-3 motored Vapor has. How does the Ember fly with the lesser down thrust of the Vapor gearbox assy? Has anyone tried this?
I cobbled a 4-Site gearbox and motor on mine and got vertical performance out of it. Weird seeing an Ember hover. I kept the downthrust when I attached it
Latest blog entry: BluFO-XL review by Tim...
Jan 17, 2013, 10:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
I cobbled a 4-Site gearbox and motor on mine and got vertical performance out of it. Weird seeing an Ember hover. I kept the downthrust when I attached it
Ember with just a J-3 motor doesn't have enough thrust to hover. Vapor, with it's different gearing, larger diameter prop, and the J-3 motor will.

I'm just wondering how the Ember flies with the Vapor gearboxes' lesser down thrust. The Ember gearbox has a bunch of down thrust.
Jan 18, 2013, 05:32 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards
Ember with just a J-3 motor doesn't have enough thrust to hover. Vapor, with it's different gearing, larger diameter prop, and the J-3 motor will.

I'm just wondering how the Ember flies with the Vapor gearboxes' lesser down thrust. The Ember gearbox has a bunch of down thrust.
I would think you would still want the Ember down thrust because that is more a function of the wing camber and AoA.
Latest blog entry: BluFO-XL review by Tim...
Jan 18, 2013, 07:48 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
I would think you would still want the Ember down thrust because that is more a function of the wing camber and AoA.
Maybe. We can both speculate, I was wondering if anyone had tried it. I could also replace the front wing mount with a rear mount to take the AOA out of the wing. I know my Slow Stick flies better that way and needs no down thrust.

The reason for wating to change was for the gearbox and prop, The down thrust change happens to be built into the gearbox.
Last edited by t.edwards; Jan 19, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Jan 19, 2013, 06:34 PM
Registered User
Bump. Anyone played with the Ember in terms of thrust angle and the wings' AOA? I still (I started with a slow stick) regularly fly a brushless motored slow stick with equal height front and rear wing mounts, 20 deg dihedral, and a "barn door" rudder that is really fun to fly. The Ember seems it could be a mini equivalent.
Jan 20, 2013, 11:01 AM
TjW
TjW
Registered User
Mine's fun to fly. But I didn't change the thrust angle or decalage or dihedral. And it's not brushless. And it's a reasonably large rudder, but I wouldn't call it a barn door.

But it's fun to fly.
Feb 03, 2013, 04:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjW
Mine's fun to fly.
Mine is too. Both my modded slow stick (great fun in the wind) and my modded Ember, calm or indoor only. I mostly fly bigger stuff but the Ember 2 with a Vapor/ Night Vapor gear box and prop, J-3 motor, is neat. Does require trimming down the Embers' CF fuse to accept the vapor gearbox.
Mar 29, 2013, 08:17 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
hey guys. I just acquired an ember 2 brick (found that out after digging around for about half the day) and I was wondering is it possible to add a third servo to the empty channel?
Mar 31, 2013, 07:35 AM
Registered User
CorvetteC5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
hey guys. I just acquired an ember 2 brick (found that out after digging around for about half the day) and I was wondering is it possible to add a third servo to the empty channel?
If you have the 'green dot' Brick then yes additional servos may be added because this is a 6-channel design. Makes for careful soldering onto the circuit board traces where the servo-connectors were left off.
Mar 31, 2013, 07:59 AM
Registered User
I R Irv's Avatar
The extra channels on the green dot brick have opposite polarity as the 6400 so be careful when hooking extra servos up.
TODD
Apr 08, 2013, 05:53 AM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
hey guys. I just acquired an ember 2 brick (found that out after digging around for about half the day) and I was wondering is it possible to add a third servo to the empty channel?
Here is the Thread with all you need to know.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Parkzone Vapor Mods thread !! glenn2626 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 1657 Jul 05, 2017 01:02 PM
Discussion Official Parkzone Ember Review Thread! obiwan22 Micro Ready-to-Fly 1563 Aug 02, 2016 11:51 AM
Discussion Official parkzone vapor review thread! lightspeeddud Micro Ready-to-Fly 1399 Jul 02, 2015 01:00 PM
Yippee! Official Parkzone P-51 Owner's Thread Part 2 Ferocious Franki Parkflyers 15 Apr 02, 2014 11:22 AM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread monitor Parkflyers 913 Oct 04, 2005 09:02 PM