Mar 22, 2015, 11:35 PM
Read most of the pages of this - like some others my buddy and I break lots of motor mounts - looking for other interesting ways to reinforce them while they are new
I've seen, ca, gorilla glue and dental flops soaked w ca.... I was also thinking about a small blob of 30 min expoxy

Any other ideas ?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2015, 05:40 AM
FPV'r
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_2000 View Post
Read most of the pages of this - like some others my buddy and I break lots of motor mounts - looking for other interesting ways to reinforce them while they are new
I've seen, ca, gorilla glue and dental flops soaked w ca.... I was also thinking about a small blob of 30 min expoxy

Any other ideas ?
JB Weld add bead support under motor at rear to main carbon spar.
reinforce motor at front to main carbon spar by covering with JB weld.
Mar 23, 2015, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_2000 View Post
Read most of the pages of this - like some others my buddy and I break lots of motor mounts -
How? The only thing I've broken commonly with film wing ultramicros is the LG. So I leave those off and hand launch. The motor mount has to take a direct hit to hurt it and that's not easy.

Quote:
looking for other interesting ways to reinforce them while they are new
You can reinforce it a half a dozen different ways but all that does is transfer the energy down the structural food chain. The next weakest link will be to break the fuse, or maybe the wings mounts as they pitch forward on impact.

The other downside is that a blob of epoxy adds a ton of weight which costs speed, agility and flight time. Plus it will impact harder and break more stuff worse than if it didn't have the weight.

The real answer is to learn how to not faceplant it so hard. Maybe it's just me - motor mounts are my least broken item on any plane in any crash. Well, lately, because I tend to faceplant a LOT less that I used to.
Mar 23, 2015, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
How? The only thing I've broken commonly with film wing ultramicros is the LG. So I leave those off and hand launch. The motor mount has to take a direct hit to hurt it and that's not easy.

You can reinforce it a half a dozen different ways but all that does is transfer the energy down the structural food chain. The next weakest link will be to break the fuse, or maybe the wings mounts as they pitch forward on impact.

The other downside is that a blob of epoxy adds a ton of weight which costs speed, agility and flight time. Plus it will impact harder and break more stuff worse than if it didn't have the weight.

The real answer is to learn how to not faceplant it so hard. Maybe it's just me - motor mounts are my least broken item on any plane in any crash. Well, lately, because I tend to faceplant a LOT less that I used to.
these responses seem to be pretty common here

sounds like the guy on the nano 3d thread saying that "the flip button is for children and he can flip with out it" over and over and over

let me paraphrase

" if you could fly as good as me you wouldnt have this problem"

Im trying to get some more life out of the planes while I learn. I dont have time to go the hobby store every day and get more.

Ive modified everything from bicycles to chain saws to cars to trucks and now planes

You are right that strengthening one thing will transfer energy, and might break something else
- Its my preference that the larger CF back bone take some of the energy so I can keep flying longer and learn to fly as good as you ...

Ive tried the dental floss trick and I made 2 batteries with no breakage ...
And I managed to not damage the 4 million dollars worth of Helicopters that were sharing the hangar ..
Feb 10, 2016, 02:41 PM

Night Vapor experiences

OK, I bought an NV a few years ago to fly in our church's gym. Last year, the opportunity to fly in a huge dome came up so I took my trusty NV and now fly almost weekly. Here are some observations:
  • Even with the on-board lights, the NV is sometimes difficult to keep in sight. On New Year's Day, there was a fly-in with 91 pilots attending and, at one point, 17 planes in the air at once. Yes, it's a big dome. I do land my NV when there are more than 2 EDF MIGS and or Sabres racing.
  • The NV was struck by a 3D aerobatic plane severing the carbon rod and tearing one wingtip. I found that a length of 3/64" shrink tubing will reconnect the carbon rod nicely. As it was handy, I used Monokote Trimfilm to recover the tip but wound up recovering both tips for balance. Now I can readily identify my NV when it's in a gaggle of other NVs. No noticeable difference in flight characteristics.
  • As, outdoors, I am a sailplane pilot, endurance flying appeals to me. So, I set out to see how long I could stay aloft on a 150mAh battery. My record is 28 minutes & 40 seconds. And yes there is lift in our dome.
  • I find it interesting that some pilots in the dome who try the NV after flying one of the gyro-equipped models have a tough time. Is silicon replacing skill?
  • Lastly, I heartily suggest the HH Spacewalker as the next model after you've mastered the NV. No gyros and a treat to really fly.
Last edited by Jim Deck; Feb 10, 2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Feb 10, 2016, 05:13 PM
FPV'r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck View Post
OK, I bought an NV a few years ago to fly in our church's gym. Last year, the opportunity to fly in a huge dome came up so I took my trusty NV and now fly almost weekly. Here are some observations:
  • Even with the on-board lights, the NV is sometimes difficult to keep in sight. On New Year's Day, there was a fly-in with 91 pilots attending and, at one point, 17 planes in the air at once. Yes, it's a big dome. I do land my NV when there are more than 2 EDF MIGS and or Sabres racing.
  • The NV was struck by a 3D aerobatic plane severing the carbon rod and tearing one wingtip. I found that a length of 3/64" shrink tubing will reconnect the carbon rod nicely. As it was handy, I used Monokote Trimfilm to recover the tip but wound up recovering both tips for balance. Now I can readily identify my NV when it's in a gaggle of other NVs. No noticeable difference in flight characteristics.
  • As, outdoors, I am a sailplane pilot, endurance flying appeals to me. So, I set out to see how long I could stay aloft on a 150mAh battery. My record is 28 minutes & 40 seconds. And yes there is lift in our dome.
  • I find it interesting that some pilots in the dome who try the NV after flying one of the gyro-equipped models have a tough time. Is silicon replacing skill?
  • Lastly, I heartily suggest the HH Spacewalker as the next model after you've mastered the NV. No gyros and a treat to really fly.
All plane types should not fly together for that very reason.
We fly in a school gym using the following schedule.

7:30 - 7:40 Vapor
7:40 - 7:50 Heli, quad
7:50 - 8:00 Fly in Circuit; spacewalker, SportCub, etc
8:00 - 8:10 Wild things; IFO, nutball, etc
8:10 - 8:20 small/Large 3D type
Jul 05, 2017, 01:01 PM

Motor Mount Fix

I, too have broken a motor mount flying between obstacles. Broke between the spindle and motor. I had it reinforced with toothpicks and goop but it flexed enough to come apart again. I ordered another motor mount, then realized I didn't have acetone to get the old one off (lots of super glue had dripped down on it). I clipped it off with side cutters, then put the new mount on an appropriate length of toothpick. I glued the toothpick to the fuse and reinforced with more toothpick.
Jul 05, 2017, 01:02 PM

Motor Mount Fix 2

Finished pics.
Aug 20, 2017, 11:18 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Not sure which Vapor thread is active, but here is a video I shot this morning with my Night Vapor just as the sun was coming up. Turnigy 2K Black camera set to 1080 60FPS, and 4X zoom. The zoom makes it grainy unfortunately, but without it, the subject looks farther away than it really is.

Warning: Video has music, but it is very appropriate

Vapor at Sunrise (3 min 17 sec)
Aug 21, 2017, 12:46 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Not sure which Vapor thread is active, but here is a video I shot this morning with my Night Vapor just as the sun was coming up. Turnigy 2K Black camera set to 1080 60FPS, and 4X zoom. The zoom makes it grainy unfortunately, but without it, the subject looks farther away than it really is.

Warning: Video has music, but it is very appropriate

https://youtu.be/YzZxuCsOsm8
Beautiful!
Sep 04, 2018, 07:43 PM
Has anyone tried putting an AR6400 (or L) on one of the Vapor planes? I happen to have an AR6400L that's gathering dust...
Sep 05, 2018, 02:51 PM
Just a bored guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Has anyone tried putting an AR6400 (or L) on one of the Vapor planes? I happen to have an AR6400L that's gathering dust...
I did it back in 2010.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...!!-Video-Added
Sep 05, 2018, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Awesome!

How well did it work? Any caveats? Did it fit?
Sep 07, 2018, 06:34 PM
Just a bored guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Awesome!

How well did it work? Any caveats? Did it fit?
The only difference between the ar6400 and the later gen Vapor/Ember boards was that they changed the signal routing to make tapping the extra 2 channels easier. Otherwise, they are pretty much identical.

The channel mapping needs to be swapped though. The ar6400 has elevator/rudder while the Vapor has elevator/aileron.
Sep 07, 2018, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
The only difference between the ar6400 and the later gen Vapor/Ember boards was that they changed the signal routing to make tapping the extra 2 channels easier. Otherwise, they are pretty much identical.

The channel mapping needs to be swapped though. The ar6400 has elevator/rudder while the Vapor has elevator/aileron.
I could pretty much follow these instructions to do that? I'm thinking I'd maybe want to leave it so either stick could operate the rudder (so I wouldn't mess it up when my left thumb involuntarily goes to operate it).

Quick Reply