May 19, 2009, 08:31 PM
What...me worry?

Mylar sheet

Hi All,
Been moving things around in the shop and actually found a pack of silver Mylar sheets. Says on the front: "The Da Vinchy Collection". I Googled it but come up with nothing...sorry.
Gotta' get back to the grind...setting up for the return of my foamcutter from a brief stay in the girlfriend's basement.
Regards,
Scott
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2009, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255
From what I've been reading 3M77 is most recommended.
Was this one that did not work for you?
John255
No, haven't tried that yet - off to the store!!
May 23, 2009, 06:36 PM

Recovering the Vapor Part One

Recovering the Vapor with Target bags.

The small Target bags are much thinner and lighter than their normal size bags. The material is light and strong. Probably a tad heavier than stock Vapor covering. Ten layers of the material measures .15MM so it's about .015mm thickness.

For part two, on the wings I'm going to try an open frame holder to see how it goes.

Regards,
John255
Last edited by John255; May 23, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
May 23, 2009, 06:41 PM
Excellent, John!!
The wing is tougher, I found it easier to do it in two pieces with the joint on the center rib.
May 23, 2009, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezemont
Excellent, John!!
Thank you Breeze.
It was your work that gave me the confidence to try it.
So thanks to you too.
John255
May 23, 2009, 07:18 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
Wonderful tips John. Great photos too.
May 23, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thank you guys for your comments.
Just took the Vapor outside and it flew without re-trimming, so the added weight must be insignificant. Now on to the wings.
John255
May 28, 2009, 12:06 AM
How did the wings turn out, John?

My BL Vape is sporting a new look.
May 28, 2009, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezemont
How did the wings turn out, John?
My BL Vape is sporting a new look.
Breeze,
Finished late last night.
Will be on with pictures later today.
What is that new covering?
Is this the ultra light version with no gear?
Weight?
Regards,
John255
May 28, 2009, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255
Breeze,
Finished late last night.
Will be on with pictures later today.
What is that new covering?
Is this the ultra light version with no gear?
Weight?
Regards,
John255
Cool, looking forward to the pics.

Yeah, that's the ex-Red Baron with the 2g BL conversion. The prop is a cut down CF 5030 and propsaver from BSDMicroRC.com. I also replaced the thread wing struts with CF and reinforced several spots with thread/CA which really solidifies the plane.

It's 15.8g without the battery.

It's pretty fast with the BL motor, but it really sucks the battery down quickly to a hard lvp cutoff at 3/4 to WOT. I'm not sure why, but since I have it on a vapor brick the ESC programming doesn't work so I can't change the lvp setttings. I guess I need to get a Watt meter put together and do some prop experiments.

The covering is the gift-basket prism cellophane from Hobby Lobby that I crinkled up first to get the dragonfly look. Very light, easy to work with. I'm gonna get after it with a sharpie to put the little geometric designs on it.

I got some flying in last night, hopefully you can tell how quick it is.
At 4:55 you can see a fly by that covers over 100' in about 3 seconds - it gets really small, really fast on a fresh battery.
At the very end is the plane landing in the tree due to a hard lvp cutoff.

http://crash.smugmug.com/gallery/804...5_ASWcC/Medium

If the wind settles down today I'll do some pure speed runs out in the open.
May 28, 2009, 11:04 AM
Breeze,
Man what a super flyer. Sure is fast.
How about some pic's of the strut and string mods?
Great video also!
Do you use a head mounted camera to get all the action?
Thanks.
John255
May 28, 2009, 03:00 PM

Vapor Re-Covering Part 2

I wish I could start out saying this was easy and fun.
Because of inexperience with micro weights I found it tedious, but it feels real good when done.

You guys that have been doing this for a while probably have easier methods. I pulled the covering off several times and cleaned the CF.
However, the frame idea seemed to work best for smoothness and providing the best airfoil shape.

Also tested several glues and found most to stick real well to the CF, but easily peel off the vinyl after overnight cure. The 2M77 was by far the best vinyl adhesive.

BTW, I used Wal-Mart produce bags for the wing covering. Strong and very light. Remove bananas first.

Tonight is fly-in night at local HS, so we'll see how she flies.
Regards,
John255
May 28, 2009, 03:46 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
John,
Great tutorial as always. I fear I will not be able to recover mine as I have used foam safe CA over time to patch and reglue the stock covering to the wing frame. Don't know how hard it would be to clean up. Also, my brick will no longer bind to my transmitter. I have tried all of the procedures and i fear that it is time for a new brick. Your covering tutorial has inspired me though. Love the Target Vapor.
May 28, 2009, 04:50 PM
rbrown3rd, this sounds a bit different, but you might want to try this (if you haven't already) if you can't get your tx to bind.

Vapor Calibration Thread
May 28, 2009, 05:11 PM
John, as usual that is a great pictorial. Nice work with the targets too - asymmetry is very cool.

The frame is a great idea!
I'll have to give that a shot next time since the wings are such a hassle.

We just had a major storm blow through. Looks like calm air for a bit!!!!

Quick Reply