Summer Of Space - Progress Update - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by SGTalon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 01, 2008, 09:22 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

Summer Of Space - Progress Update

The Summer of Space continues!!!

I got my Enterprise D cut out and started putting it together tonight. Man does it look cool. I think it may be the best flyer yet. Can't wait to get it in the air.

I have an order on the way from United Hobbies with some new batteries and servos so i can keep more spacecraft in the air.

I was working in the plant today waiting for the electrician to run the conduit to a conveyor panel and decided to put together a new design. Of course it is a spacecraft. I refuse to build anything this summer that is not a spaceship of some type.

So here it is. The Imperial Star Destroyer. 4' long 30" wide. Same 23oz thrust motor i am using on all the others. I think it may be the coolest one yet.

Check it out!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887870
Last edited by SGTalon; May 26, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2008, 10:20 PM
SkyHi Aerial
Ok, these are pretty cool. I'm looking forward to a flight report!

A few months after I learned to fly (4 years ago) I attempted to scratch build Darth Vaders Tie Fighter. It looked great, but didn't fly worth a damn. I've learned quite a bit sense then, I should a try to build a new one. Btw, if you asked me what CG meant when I built this, I would have had no idea, lol.

Matt
Jul 01, 2008, 10:57 PM
new pic, same plane....
cool, why not mount 2 motors on the things on the back of the enterprise?
Jul 01, 2008, 11:55 PM
Rob

plans???

do you have any plans or measurements for the star destroyer? my starwars kids would love something like that. what are you using for your foam for all of these models, which, btw, are fantastic looking.

thanks
Rob
Jul 02, 2008, 08:27 PM
Daloaf, since i have been building so many crazy planes i was not surprised at all to find that the CG for my Tie Fighter was at the leading edge of the horizontal wing or pretty much as far forward as i could get it.

I bet if you took yours out and moved the CG way forward, and added a rudder or 2 it would fly. It IS very tricky to fly though. Wants to weathervane all the time.

Sketch, Similar to my other reply the CG on the Enterprise is probably going to be forward of the saucer center. So putting motors on the Engine nacelles is probably NOT doable. Once it is in the air and the prop is spinning you won't even notice the fact that it is in the middle of the saucer.

Rob, I will most certainly have plans for the SD once i get it in the air and flying. I have posted the plans for all my other flying ships and would love to see more people building my designs. It will be 46" Long. The same length as the Bundled Foam you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes - really any home improvement type store. Check out the Foamies - Scratchbuilt forum there are tons of posts about the foam we all use.

Thanks for all your interest!
Jul 19, 2008, 08:49 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Eagerly awaiting plans on the ISD. If you're looking for a beta builder I'd be happy to help!
Jul 21, 2008, 11:46 PM
That is the next plane on the drawing board!!!

Gotta get the Babylon 5 Fury done first