Jun 28, 2008, 10:18 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
Discussion

Help me outfit my Cox Lazy Bee

I dusted off my Cox Lazy Bee and would like to convert it to electric. It came with a Baby Bee .049 glow motor. I remember it being underpowered.

The plane weighs in at about 24oz/680grams.

She kinda looks like a school bus, doesn't she? It should be fun getting her back in the air.

Anyway, what size motor, kv, prop, esc, and battery would you recommend?

Thanks
Rob
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2008, 02:55 PM
Visitor from Reality
Andy Clancy fitted one with five geared 280-ish early toy market motors running off a single 7 cell 1200mA Nicad pack.

Okay, now you'd use a big 2S I'd suggest a search on the multitude of Lazy Bee postings around here, ignoring all of mine on account of I horrendously overpower all my Lazy Bees and the wood one is a lot stronger than this one.

Looking at the size and weight, I'd start with AXI's 2212/20, Kv of 1150, 2S Lipo - 9.5x5, though it supports 3S Lipo on an 8 x 4 - 18 Amp ESC, Hobby Lobby reckon it'll handle a 10-28 oz. Sport model. 2200mA-ish LiPo would have you flying around nicely for ages. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2212.htm is Hobby Lobby's website and AXI motors seem to go on for ages - I've one from before they were on sale in the US and it's still going as good as ever. If you want a cheap-O ripoff, take it's parameters and go shopping - BP Hobbies sells some cheapies and at least has a US based presence. Going shopping from downtown Peking - that's a little too risky for me, YMMV.

To be honest, if you just want this foamie to fly around mostly right side up, a cheapie motor - NOT pushed to its stated limits - will do fine.

I had one of these when they first came out, flew it some on the C*x squealer - it wasn't quite as lively as my other Lazy Bees (I've had six or seven!) but it is a good flier. For cruising around on nice days looking cute, it's got all you need.

Good luck

Dereck
Jun 29, 2008, 04:06 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
Nice. Thanks Dereck. That is where I was going (I already looked at Axi's motor tool).

You are right, this one is made out of foam...and I don't want to rip the wings off with too much power.

I am going to give it a go with the glo motor...and then I will most likely go on to an electric setup. The gas tank was part of the fuselage. If I remember correctly, it leaked horrendously.

perfect.
Jun 29, 2008, 04:41 PM
Visitor from Reality
Best I can remember, it didn't have the regular Cox motor with integral tank and mount. I didn't run it much - I hadn't had it long when some kind guy up at the site hauled over a hobby buyer and two obnoxious sons. HB had bought one of these to entertain the rugbugs, the guy who inflicted them on me knew I was more inclined to odd models and had the same as the HB had bought. Plus he wanted to go flying, not explain things to someone who'd had a hard time removing the shrinkwrap off the box...

Long story short, my day's flying time was down the tubes, HB had lost some of the parts of his model and ended up with the ones off mine, he went away promising to return them after buying more spares, was never seen again. Ever since then, I have tried to stay away from HBs - they keep hobby shops in business, which is good, to be nice.

My foamBee was pretty much trashed - spares were not readily available, or at least the ones I'd torn out to entertain the HB and kids for the day.

It is a cute little model, am surprised at any surviving this long. As you have guessed, don't fly it like some of us fly E-Bees - mine has a 10 x 7 three blader ahead of an Astro 020 BL - what Rolls Royce Motors would have described as 'adequate' power Here's the photos of mine - about my sixth regular sized LB - in case you have been hiding in the basement and missed them

Yours is much nicer at cruising around the patch with the wheels on the bottom on nice calm days. Be much better for quiet power than with that whiney little Cox though (Sez he, who once had a twin Cox 049 control line aerobatic model!)

Regards

Dereck
Last edited by Dereck; Jun 29, 2008 at 04:47 PM.
Sep 05, 2008, 09:45 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post10492868
Sep 07, 2008, 02:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I predict that the BP2212-10 with 1400Kv or the BP2212-13 with 1000Kv will work fine, with some prop size adjsutments for the variation in Kv.

The -10 would be fine on a 9x4.7 prop and 2 cells and the -13 would be fne on three cells and and a 9x6 prop.

Great little motors and a bargain at 15.95 from BP hobbies. I do not consider them cheap...I think they are pretty much middle of the road hobby grade at a really good price and are fine for sport models.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Sep 07, 2008, 04:55 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
Hi, Thomas. Actually, I already picked up a bm2410-o9. I believe it is in the 840kv range. I wanted a lower kv in order to pair it with a larger prop.

Do you have any recommendations on a prop size for this motor? It looks like they recommend the following:
Suggested Prop: 9*4.7 / Slow Fly 1047
Sep 08, 2008, 01:39 PM
Visitor from Reality
Bombay
Go with the maker's recommendations, but I suggest you test your set-up with a watt meter to ensure you aren't over-amping your motor. Many of these cheapies have very defined limits and if you go over them, buying another motor ruins the 'bargain' aspect.

A minor point - watch out for ground clearance on the 10" diameter, especially if you fly off grass short enough to take off from. Lazy Bees are short on ground clearance thanks to the straight wire UC and an over-long prop can soon develop raggy green tips. The 9" prop will do you fine, the originals flew fine on 6", remember.

Regards

Dereck
Sep 08, 2008, 01:45 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
Thanks, Dereck. I hear you loud and clear. I do have a Two-meter, so I will be sure to test and start with manufacturer's specs. I increased the ground clearance slightly by adding better looking foam wheels, but probably not much to make a difference.

I hope to finish her up and get her in a maiden flight this weekend if Hurricane Ike stays away.

Quick Reply