Jun 27, 2008, 08:17 PM
Lee Estingoy
Thread OP
Alert

New PHOENIX FIRMWARE POSTED

Geez, guess you guys gave up looking for this.

Features are here - http://www.castlecreations.com/downl..._software.html

Download is here - follow the links, hit the one that says DOWNLOAD NOW, it's a good place to start.
http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads.html

Here's the poop: The heli stuff is described at the bottom.

Improved startup for some out-runner style motors

Added audible error codes to help trouble-shoot in flight problems

After you land, simply go to zero-throttle and wait for the controller to beep out the error code.
1 Beep - Start Failure (The motor was jammed or locked)

2 Beeps - Low Voltage Cutoff (Your batteries are likely discharged. Check that batteries are fully charged and that your Phoenix detects the proper number of cells at power-up)

3 Beeps - Over Current (Current draw exceeded the safe capacity of the controller)

4 Beeps - Prop Strike Detected (Your motor stopped spinning freely. Check for proper operation of motor)

5 Beeps - Poor Radio Signal (Signal from your receiver is corrupt or non-existent, check transmitter and receiver)
Added 'Powered Up' beep to warn the ESC is armed and powered

Added an 8KHz pwm mode

Added support for control-line governor mode WITH braking enabled. All standard brake options apply.

Added new setting 'Head Speed Change Rate' to control how quickly the governor modes change between set points

Added new setting 'Auto-Rotate Enabled' to allow faster exits from auto-rotations maneuvers

Added two new governor modes, 'Simple Mode' and 'Set RPM Mode'

Simple Mode
Allows a normal startup, 75% throttle equals 75% max power.

Once the throttle input is constant for 1.5s governor mode will LOCK on that speed. Further changed to the throttle input (after lock) will result in corresponding head-speed changes.
Set RPM Mode
Allows three distinct head-speeds to be entered into Castle-Link and will govern at those head speeds.
Requires input for motor kv, motor magnetic poles, gearing, and battery

Head Speed 1 is chosen by throttle inputs less than 50%

Head Speed 2 is chosen by throttle inputs between 50% and 99%

Head Speed 3 is chosen by throttle inputs greater than 99%
Changed 'Spool Up' to have a more linear speed

Changed gain settings to be consistent at different RPMs. Also changed the range of gain setting to be 1 to 32.

Sorry it took so long, there's a lot going on here. We feel that the whole team has done a great job.

This breaks new ground for the heli guys, hopefully you won't be breaking that ground with your heli. This is BETA software, so be careful. Test it thoroughly before committing your ships to the air!

Hope this exceeds your expectations. From all of us here at the Castle, have a great weekend!

Lee
Last edited by lestingoy; Jun 27, 2008 at 08:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
Well I will "try" to load it tomorrow. I say try because I just downloaded it and installed it over V3.051 and during the install I get this error message.

"A more recent version of Castle Link is already installed on this computer"

It went on to say Castle Link ended prematurely because of an error and my system was not modified. How is that possible loading 3.10 over 3.051?
Jun 27, 2008, 09:20 PM
Arrrg this is so frustrating. The CastleLinkInstall_310 is not installing over V3.051 for me. Do I need to uninstall the 3.051 first?

While you are at it the download page has many bad links. Click on the "Click to Enlarge" button for all 4 of the screen shots and no picture just a page loop.
Last edited by Ohio AV8TOR; Jun 27, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Jun 27, 2008, 09:46 PM
Lee Estingoy
Thread OP
Right.

Uninstall the previous version and install this one on your computer. Takes 30 seconds.

Yes, I had noticed the 2 links to the same document that are broken. They will be fixed.

Now you can be frustrated and complain and grouse or you can try and understand that I probably pulled the trigger on this a bit early so you guys could have the weekend to use the software which IS there and we think does work.

Lee
Jun 27, 2008, 09:47 PM
VE7FM
Looks like the version checking for the install isn't quite working right, just uninstall the old version first.
Jun 27, 2008, 11:10 PM
OH BOY..... can't wait till tomorrow...
chuck
Jun 28, 2008, 05:53 AM
Lee Estingoy
Thread OP
OK, 5:45 AM. Looks like Nick fixed the wonky links on the page sometime last night.

My apologies for the consterfrusternation -- but consider that it all got done after 5 on a Friday evening. I am part of the team and I am still impressed by how hard these people work to try and please our customers. Good or (occasionally) bad, we put it all out there.

Lee
Last edited by lestingoy; Jun 28, 2008 at 06:06 AM.
Jun 28, 2008, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestingoy
OK, 5:45 AM. Looks like Nick fixed the wonky links on the page sometime last night.

My apologies for the consterfrusternation -- but consider that it all got done after 5 on a Friday evening. I am part of the team and I am still impressed by how hard these people work to try and please our customers. Good or (occasionally) bad, we put it all out there.

Lee
Loading it now and will report back, EVENTUALLY WE GET AN UPGRADE, nearly one year later since first promised!!!!!!!

Yihaaaa, tried it with default settings in gov-mode with set rpm and it works soooooooooomuch better. Congrats CC, we eventually have an useable product. Will test further, but with gov gain low, all the stutter is gone, response to head loading is so much quicker as well, REAL GOVERNOR NOW

Only problem is the program hangs when I try to save settings to a file.
Last edited by Vinger; Jun 28, 2008 at 07:08 AM.
Jun 28, 2008, 06:35 AM
Update;
I did the un-install then install of 3.1 and that load went fine. I did not want to do that last night without hearing back from you because I did not have the 3.052 exe any longer. I am running a Thunderbird 36 and one thing that concerns me is that all 3.1 shows for available firmware is V1.05 and V1.04 for the Thunderbird. That is exactly the same firmware available from 3.052. Was anything done to this?
Jun 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
Looks good have loaded into my Phoenix 80 in my Protos will give it a go in the morning.
Jun 28, 2008, 08:47 AM
Electric Helis is my game
I tried the new software on a new CC110.
E-Stratus, 12s1p setup, Neu 1915/1.5Y H

"Set RPM" of 1700, 1850, 1940

Startup: Perfekt.
Change of HS: Perfekt.
Power of motor: Perfekt.
Governor: Really really crappy.

Low gov gain and it wouldnt hold HS at all, probably over-revving and dropping HS several hundred RPM's.
Medium gain I got oscilliation in plain hover (forth and back perhaps 1 time per second), still wouldnt hold RPM during hard transitions.

Edit: Tried high gain, same oscilliation just faster.

Tips are welcome.
Last edited by MrMel; Jun 28, 2008 at 09:05 AM.
Jun 28, 2008, 09:48 AM
Lee Estingoy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR
Update;
I did the un-install then install of 3.1 and that load went fine. I did not want to do that last night without hearing back from you because I did not have the 3.052 exe any longer. I am running a Thunderbird 36 and one thing that concerns me is that all 3.1 shows for available firmware is V1.05 and V1.04 for the Thunderbird. That is exactly the same firmware available from 3.052. Was anything done to this?
Nope. The release notes are very clear. The BETA only covers PHOENIX at this point. The code will be extended to the TBIRD line in the near future.

Sorry.
Jun 28, 2008, 09:52 AM
Lee Estingoy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel
I tried the new software on a new CC110.
E-Stratus, 12s1p setup, Neu 1915/1.5Y H

"Set RPM" of 1700, 1850, 1940

Startup: Perfekt.
Change of HS: Perfekt.
Power of motor: Perfekt.
Governor: Really really crappy.

Low gov gain and it wouldnt hold HS at all, probably over-revving and dropping HS several hundred RPM's.
Medium gain I got oscilliation in plain hover (forth and back perhaps 1 time per second), still wouldnt hold RPM during hard transitions.

Edit: Tried high gain, same oscilliation just faster.

Tips are welcome.
Tell us more about the setup. Batteries, etc...

Is the red LED going to MAX -- FULL ON -- during any of this?
Is the oscillation occurring due to motor speed changing?
Are you making any changes in your tail rotor gyro gain system? Can you be sure that this is the power system and not the tail rotor gyro?

Thanks,
Jun 28, 2008, 09:57 AM
Electric Helis is my game
Quote:
Tell us more about the setup. Batteries, etc...

Is the red LED going to MAX -- FULL ON -- during any of this?
Is the oscillation occurring due to motor speed changing?
Are you making any changes in your tail rotor gyro gain system? Can you be sure that this is the power system and not the tail rotor gyro?

Thanks,
Batteries: DesirePower 30C 12s1p 4500, holding really high voltage (alot more then FP/TP).
Cant really see the led during flight, dont want to be that close to a .90 sized heli but it shouldnt by any means, its geared "correctly" with some headroom.
Yes, motor is "surging" making the oscillation, even in Hover with no change of load.
No changes to Tail rotor (VBar)

Heli flies perfect with PowerJazz with exact same setup, only thing changed was the ESC.
Last edited by MrMel; Jun 28, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Jun 28, 2008, 10:27 AM
I am glad to hear those who have been waiting with Phoenix issues have had them solved.
Last edited by Ohio AV8TOR; Jun 30, 2008 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply