Jan 26, 2003, 10:40 PM
Inbox is almost full
Thread OP

Beaver on Floats Rescue boat!

I'm thinking of getting a RC boat for emergency rescues in the water.

If my Beaver lands on it's back in the middle of a pond, I can just drive out with a little boat a push it back.

Would GWS receiver equipment work on a boat???
This boat I was thinking - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS852&P=0

If so using my Current Eclipse TX would be very nice.

I'm sure I can use the same batteries, just modify the connectors..
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2003, 10:57 PM
Using 72mhz radio equipment for ground vehicles (boats qualify as ground vehicles) is illeagal - please don't do it. Although your plane receiver would work, you will need to use radio equipment made for ground use. Several companies offer complete sets that include transmitters and other radio equipment with the boat.

Also, if you intend on using the boat just for rescue work, I would choose one that had a less sharp bow and not a speed boat, as you will be pushing a low speeds.

Regards,
Don
Jan 27, 2003, 01:58 AM

Rescue Plane??

Hi,
You guys gave me an idea.
Been thinking the same thing.
But I'll just use my other plane (Stick FD) with my old home made floats that didn't work to well with my other channel Tx and Rx.
Leave off the wing while doing rescue work.
Add a bumper.
Have a tempoary tape on larger water rudder for better control.
Have swam for my Beaver a few weeks ago, it was cold.
Floats too far forward due to gear bent forward for land flying, causing stability prob. Have fixed. And ordering larger size, have 17 inch.
Beaver sure flys off water great!!
Good Flying,
John
Jan 27, 2003, 11:16 AM
Inbox is almost full
Thread OP
Swam for your Beaver??? Nice dude. How cold was the water?

That's RC sprit!!!!

I'm going to either have a RC rescue boat or a inflatable raft in my trunk.
Jan 27, 2003, 01:02 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02

Les

Right now all you need is a pair of ice skates. It is - 1 wind chill here just south of Poughkeepsie. I carry an old fishing pole with a 2 or 3 oz. rubber coated practice sinker on it. If the plane craps out or flips over out on the pond, I get the pole out and cast the line over the model. Then reel it in slowly untill the sinker catches on the model, and then reel her in the rest of the way. It works great, costs little, and takes up very little space in the car. I leave mine in the car all the time. Give it a try, but be sure to cast way over the model. Once, I cast a little short, and the heavy sinker went right through the wing. Got the plane back, but had to do some repairs. If you are flying off of salt water, beware. One dunk in that stuff and the electronics are shot. Fresh water is fine, just let the components air dry in the sun. Tom
Jan 27, 2003, 01:25 PM
Inbox is almost full
Thread OP
True ice skating would work, but ice skating on a pond is scary.

The fishing pole sounds like a good idea but there's no fishing allowed at my local pond that I plan on flying at.

The only thing allowed in the pond is electric boats. I'm the first to have a electric float plane in the water there.
Jan 27, 2003, 07:53 PM
Leslie:
I have a Dumas Little Swamp Buggy (Air Boat), that would probably work great with anything from a IPS to a Speed 400 Motor, it's super easy to build, just basically a balsa barge.
I also have a Dumas BIG Swamp Buggy that I put a .40 Glow engine on & BOY does that move, I also use Dual Electric motors swinging 10x6 Props & use power supplied by a big old 12V Gel Cell battery, runs forever. I like your Idea but you could also just wait till it drifts in.
I know it's illegal (But Why? ) to use aircraft frequencies for Ground RC or Visa-Versa but i tend to use what I have so I have have used both Ground & Aircraft frequencies in my boats since most people could care less or are so oblivious, they give you the blank stare with the inevitable "Uhh, is that thing like Remote controlled or something"?

-Mike-
Jan 27, 2003, 08:18 PM
Inbox is almost full
Thread OP
I just found a old challenger 200 radio and I checked and my car Tx and it's a Futaba.

Both are AM and operate at the surface 75Mhz.

I'm going to test the Challenger set in a bit.
Jan 27, 2003, 08:54 PM
plane crazy
Leslie lets call a spade a spade.

You just want an excuse to buy another RC toy

You are addicted my son, the first step is admitting you have a problem.
Jan 27, 2003, 08:56 PM
Inbox is almost full
Thread OP
I'm fine with being rc fanatic.

I'm going to crush your Beaver with my Savage RC truck.
Jan 27, 2003, 08:58 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02

Frequency

Mike, if someone near where you were running your boat illegally on 72 mz was flying, say, a 28 lb 1/3 scale model, you could, or would, shoot him down if he were on your frequency. Transmitters send out a signal that carries several miles. That is why the AMA has a 3 mile separation rule for all AMA sanctioned flying sites, unless tested and agreed upon by the two clubs involved. Can you immagine getting hit by that thing at 70mph. It could kill someone, and it has. And it doesn't have to be a Giant Scale model either, 40 size glow models have killed people. Plus, by Federal Law, it is illegal, and for just that reason. Please use the prescribed frequencies for boats and cars. Tom
Jan 27, 2003, 09:53 PM

Re: Frequency

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Smith
Mike, if someone near where you were running your boat illegally on 72 mz was flying, say, a 28 lb 1/3 scale model, you could, or would, shoot him down if he were on your frequency.
And just what would happen if he were FLYING his plane with this same transmitter? I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. There are good reasons for separating the air and ground frequencies, but your scenario of "death and distruction" isn't one of them. I say let him use his little boat.
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Jan 27, 2003, 10:25 PM
plane crazy
I agree what if I took my little foamie to the local HS and there happened to be a club nearby that I didnt know about...

How is that any different? Could I possibly be guilty of manslaughter as well?
Jan 27, 2003, 10:37 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
All I am saying is it is illegal and dangerous. You take it from there. I just tried to give you a worse case scenario, real or immagined. Tom
Jan 27, 2003, 10:51 PM
C'mon guys! There are different frequencies for a reason. Why not play by the rules, thats what they're there for. If you can afford to spend the dough on a boat for retrieval purposes, then another 30 or 40 bucks for a cheap two channel radio shouldn't kill you. Just my 2 cents

Chris

Quick Reply