Jun 25, 2008, 05:11 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
Discussion

I need help with my canon settings.

I have been experimenting heavily and can't seem to find the right settings with my canon SD870IS to consistently give me good looking shots. With my old kodak I just set it to scenery mode and 9 out of 10 looked awesome. Using my canon I'm getting a lot of blurry, soft, washed out pictures such as these. Any suggestions?

to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2008, 06:11 PM
fast
if you expected much from IS you'd be happier w/Panasonic
my SD1100 IS anywhere near old Lumix LZ7 Image Stabilizer, it actually works esp. at night.
Jun 25, 2008, 06:46 PM
I always set my SD800IS to auto with high ISO selected. I've tried the "manual" options, but they really disappoint when it comes to AP. I usually do a good amount of post production work in Photoshop, but auto with high ISO delivers the best images directly from the camera in my experience...

I forgot to add that most of the AP photos I took with the sd800is (just on auto) looked a lot like the ones you have posted. Switching to high ISO really helped. Plus if you have Photoshop on your computer, you could probably help these out quite a bit with a smart sharpen, levels adjustment, and brightness/contrast adjustment. What is your AP setup BTW? These are really high up!
Last edited by doctor_what; Jun 25, 2008 at 06:54 PM.
Jun 25, 2008, 08:33 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Just a quick pass with some photo editing software ................
Jun 25, 2008, 08:43 PM
Boffin
It just looks like high humidity. It wouldn't matter what camera you used, but filters could help.

Rick.
Jun 25, 2008, 08:46 PM
bracky 72,
Are you getting smoke from the Virginia fires by any chance? It's thick nasty stuff that I know has gotten to Richmond, Va.
Looks like smoke/haze to me. Try a polarizing filter if you can.
Jun 25, 2008, 08:51 PM
SMILE
I use my 570IS this way.... set to Tv with a shutter speed of 1000 on sunny dys and 500 on cloudy days. Works out well. DWA taught me that one! It's worth a try. But haze is haze, you might try lower altitudes or more downward looking lense position?
Jun 25, 2008, 09:05 PM
Staying Frosty
*removed*
Last edited by Hellsiege; Jun 26, 2008 at 10:07 AM.
Jun 25, 2008, 09:29 PM
I tend to agree with others here that smog/haze is just that. Face it, our air is not as clear as it once was in this country. If your camera will accept filters over the lens, try a polarizer type. It should help eliminate some of the haze in your photos. Next, a good photo editing program such as Adobe Photoshop or the simpler (less features) version, Adobe Photoshop Elements should help you with post photography clean-up. If you have never used such a program, you will be surprised at the improvements that can be made to all your photos. Even the pros use such software to optimize their work! Adobe Photoshop Elements can be purchased on sale for as little as about $79. The "big daddy" version costs $500 or $600, but probably is an over-kill for what we model airplane aviators need.

Hope this helps.
Jim
Jun 25, 2008, 09:40 PM
I found the auto contrast in P-shop helps. Or manually adjusting contrast is a good place to start for helping haze.
$.02

Rob D.
Jun 25, 2008, 09:57 PM
those pics are not bad at all.....lots of haze in the air is all....only issue i found with the 870 was it would select too small a aperature..thats why i switched to a570is...MUCH happier now
Jun 25, 2008, 10:56 PM
I also get pretty good results with my A540 set to 1/1000 TV mode. Eliminates all vibration for my plane and I no longer have to glide around to take shots.

And haze can be a problem for sure!

I keep a couple of blue sky templates in Photoshop to change out the white hazy sky sometimes.

PS
Jun 25, 2008, 11:00 PM
AP-stick
the only problem i see in your pics is smog bracky72

the only solution: change people around you (SUV...PICKUP...coal power plant...)

unfortunatly, calm and good condition to fly get us more of these situation

if the sharpness seem bad, could be the plane stability ? flying speed ?
what is your AP setup ? side or front camera ? we need stable slow
flight for good stills shot with side camera....
Last edited by ggtronic; Jun 25, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
Jun 25, 2008, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRTECH
I use my 570IS this way.... set to Tv with a shutter speed of 1000 on sunny dys and 500 on cloudy days. Works out well. DWA taught me that one! It's worth a try. But haze is haze, you might try lower altitudes or more downward looking lense position?
I see a lot of advice coming from owners of "A" series Canons, but unfortunately the elph cameras don't have the same options of the "A" series cameras...
Jun 26, 2008, 01:42 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Can you turn IS off on this camera? IS may actually cause blur for some situations.

Adam

Quick Reply