Jun 23, 2008, 08:21 PM
what it do everybody?
Thread OP
Discussion

phase 3 f-16 with 68mm fan

I just got my f-16 and I was playing with this fan (I think it's a hoya), which I didn't buy for this or any particular jet, BUT it's a good fit! I'll have to find a proper motor to swing the 5 fat blades and go to a 40 or 50amp esc.

1. Since it's a snug fit, I don't think I'll need a thrust tube, but is it OK to hog out 6mm so the servos will clear the thrust line? I'll shave the bumps and close off the holes to get a smooth thrust line. You think the extra gouging will be ok for the fuse? I'll probably use thin servo wires and run them on the outside.

2. How far back should it be set? The fan has perpandicular mounting tabs and so I have to cut slots into the fuse to mount it. Should I just mount it at the edge b/c it will be heavier then stock.

I've just started with edf's so you'll have to speak slowly

to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2008, 10:19 PM
Classic jets rule
well you need to read the upgrade thread frist ...i know it's long but at least look at all the pics and read some of it ...or you will be sorry .EDF = must have a thrust tube and good ducting for inlet .....thats your frist lesson. this plane has enough proplems with the aft fuse ,that i would'nt recomend "hogging " out foam in the back. my 70mm fan is mounted 2" aft of the stock location ...but i'm running 4s batt and i have a rudder servo.start reading
Jun 24, 2008, 11:03 AM
You'll have to remove some foam to fit that large of a fan in there, looking at your pics the fuselage isn't coming all the way together. Also, if you use a heavier motor or a heavier battery, you may need to adjust the position of the fan. If you go 4S then you might need to move the fan back to balance the extra weight in the nose, but then if you use a 28mm motor it may be heavier than the stock motor so that may balance the weight of heavier 4S pack.

The thrust tube is important. It can be made out of clear mylar, acetate, lexan, or even posterboard. There's a program called Cone that will help you design the exhaust tube and lay it out in a flat pattern that you can use to cut.

Going to a larger fan isn't the only way to get more power nor does it mean you'll have more power generally, it depends more on the motor and battery setup. The larger fan does give you the 28mm motor mount so you have a wider choice in motors.

The 66mm SF (super flying) fan fits without any foam removal and is similar to the 65mm wattage fan.
Jun 24, 2008, 03:39 PM
for a sleek airframe like this F-16, small fan like
65-66mm fan would be a better choice.
... IMHO though.

Quick Reply