Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 23, 2008, 08:09 PM
Discussion

Gasoline issues

I thought I have read where you do not have the same issues with 2.4 on gasoline set ups that you had with 72mh. On 72 they wanted you to separate the ignition electronics from the rc. & rc. battery by 12" if possible, does this hold true with the 2.4? I thought I read where the 2.4 was not effected by the gasoline set ups, in other words the components would not have to be separated like that. Would someone knowledgeable enlighten me on this. I am having aileron servo glitching and can't pin point the problem. It's a 26cc powered Sukhoi---------rick
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2008, 08:22 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
2.4Ghz is above the noise commonly associated with ignition engines. But, it is still possible to have noise injected directly into a servo lead if its long enough. Just use common sense and make sure you range test properly and it shouldnt be an issue.
Jun 23, 2008, 09:24 PM
Set it up like you would for a 72mhz plane and you will be fine.
Jun 24, 2008, 01:27 AM
very big misconception that all your RF issues that were on 72 will be gone on 2.4

While some of the low freq RF noise generated by your engines ignition will not be present on 2.4 there is still a possiblity of 2.4 noise on the freq.

But a greater threat is electrical noise sent back through the servo wires. This can be from metal to metal connections or RF feedback . It can play havoc with any type/brand/ Freq RX.

That is why the instruction to keep your installs clean and free of wiring....no metal to metal connections......"Just Like 72mhz" is the right thing.

Don't get lazy
Jun 24, 2008, 02:05 AM
Registered Independent!!
I agree 100%. Glitching on 2.4 is still a very real possibility, although my experience has been that the problem is usually an individual servo or servo set rather than the whole thing. You are less likely to get the noise through the receiver, but the noise can still travel through the wires to the servos, or in my case it was through the gyro when a noisy ESC was mounted too close to the gyro. Moving it solved the issue.
Jun 24, 2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys, don't know where I read what I did but I guess I will use the same rules as 72---------thanks again--------rick
Jun 24, 2008, 02:27 PM
Registered Independent!!
You read it all over the place, including in ads from the manufacturers... It just isn't completely accurate. Or, maybe you could just call it misleading. Notice how Spektrum/JR and Futaba have both described their systems as "bulletproof".
Jun 24, 2008, 06:10 PM
Metal to metal contact is not an issue with 2.4GHz. Our customers in the boating community has just learned this and are removing their teflon inner sleeves in the drive connection to the prop. This reduces the amount of drag. This was not possible before with 75MHz due to the metal on metal "noise".

Ignition systems are not an issue with 2.4GHz receivers, but care must be taken so you don't pass this noise to the servos directly through the wiring. Smart installations are still the key to a succesful model.
Jun 27, 2008, 04:24 PM
Look Up
I've got biiiig gasoline issues. It's just too darn expensive these days.
Jul 01, 2008, 01:01 AM
No Quarter given
Ah, we still have a ways to go before gasoline meets up to the expense of glow fuel per gallon. Not to mention Glow engines need a heck of a lot more of it to run than gas engines use gas.

But the airplane transporter... now that's another problem altogether.
Sep 07, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hey Guys, I just flew the gasoline engine today in a new replacement plane and all went great! I believe I found the problem that caused the glitching and eventual demise of the Sukhoi. While setting up the replacement I found that the plug in the rx. that came from the switch had the negative pin pushed out somewhat---the pin was not "snapped" into place in the housing. I could not see anything wrong with the pin and it slid onto a mating pin with the correct amount of resistance. Nothing I did would get it to lock into the housing and I finally traded the housing for one off a scrap servo and got the pin to lock in place. No way to know 100% but I now believe that that pin was only making a partial contact on the Sukhoi and eventually lost all contact causing the crash. Crashes are a terrible happening, but when you can't explain the cause it is much worse. I now have more faith than ever in what JD says because I read somewhere that he believed that the majority of crashes were due to faulty switches/ or related faulty wiring and that appears to be exactly what happened to me. The stupid thing is that I knew I had glitching and flew anyways----dumb, dumb, dumb!-------rick
PS---I have all the same equipment in the new Extra 260 that was in the Sukhoi, batteries and all with the exception of one servo that got destroyed in the crash---rgf
Aug 19, 2018, 12:17 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Metal to metal contact is not an issue with 2.4GHz. Our customers in the boating community has just learned this and are removing their teflon inner sleeves in the drive connection to the prop. This reduces the amount of drag. This was not possible before with 75MHz due to the metal on metal "noise".

Ignition systems are not an issue with 2.4GHz receivers.
That really depends on who you talk to
Last edited by RyanNX211; Aug 19, 2018 at 12:25 PM.
Aug 19, 2018, 02:43 PM
This can causes problems with a SERVO, not 2.4GHz RF. It's why I mentioned it.
Aug 19, 2018, 02:50 PM
Thermals, Tom
Unless there isn't a servo....sigh
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Aug 19, 2018, 07:10 PM
Is XJet back?

Quick Reply