Jun 22, 2008, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Earl Stahl's Howard HG-1 build / Howard DGA-15

I have been contemplating building an electric model of Earl Stahl’s rubber powered Howard HG-1 for some time. I guess the time has arrived so here goes.

Earl’s plans appeared in the August 1942 issue of Model Airplane News. The plans are available on the web at The Plan Page http://www.theplanpage.com/. The original spans about 25”, I increased the span to about 31”.

The basic fuselage is 1/8” sticks and the stringers are 3/32”.
Last edited by EdLokken; Jul 07, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2008, 02:29 PM

Cool!!!!

I am watching, Love the light weight jobs. Looking forward to more pics and progress!!

Jeff
Jun 22, 2008, 02:39 PM
150% version worked out nice for me, real floater and no need for ailerons. Perhaps you might pick up a little more info on this seldomly modeled aircraft from my thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=Howard+GH+1

However at the scale you are building I think you'd be way ahead of the game to do either the Tritle or Dumas versions of the Mr. Mulligan and have a very similar model. (that's just my thoughts on having built mine!)

Rube
Jun 22, 2008, 02:55 PM
Two left thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube Goldberg
However at the scale you are building I think you'd be way ahead of the game to do either the Tritle or Dumas versions of the Mr. Mulligan and have a very similar model. (that's just my thoughts on having built mine!)

Rube
Since I like Golden Age aircraft, this is of interest to me. Why not build from the Stahl plans? Sure, they're ancient, but so what!
Jun 23, 2008, 08:54 AM
Thread OP
Instead of using sheet pieces to for the fin, rudder, stab, and elevator that was on the on the plans I prefer to laminate the outlines. I used 3 pieces of 1/16” balsa soaked in water and glued around a form using Titebond wood glue.

Making more progress, have added the landing gear.
Jun 23, 2008, 10:37 AM
Or current resident
Nice! Another Golden Age ( and Stahl) fan signing in. What are you going to power it with?
I see we are practally neighbors,,,hows the weather up there???

Glenn
Jun 23, 2008, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
Glenn, I will power it with a XT 300. I had it in a Dumas Waco ARE. It is a fine motor and flew the Waco very well. The Howard will weigh a little more but this motor will provide plenty of power.

The weather here is great, we are finally geting our daily thunder showers, we need the rain very badly.
Jun 24, 2008, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Tail feathers are not my most favorite things to build so I got them out of the way. They are sanded down and hinged. Then on to the fuselage.
Jun 24, 2008, 09:07 AM
Or current resident
That power system looks like it will work fine. Like your tailwheel, is it hardwood? 3 or 4 channel?
Glenn
Jun 24, 2008, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Glenn, the tail is made up of 1/64" ply and 1/32" balsa glued to both sides. An aluminum tube is used for the bearing.
Jun 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
Hve made great progress on the cowel and fueslage. Starting to look like an airplane.
Jun 26, 2008, 05:57 PM
Thread OP
The wing is done. Changed the airfoil to one that is not quite as thick. It is a modified airfoil that Pat Tritle used on his Waco for Dumas. Pat is my hero, and when I grow up I want to be just like him. He designs some great models.
Jun 26, 2008, 09:16 PM
Two left thumbs
I take it you don't have to eat, sleep, or work! Excellent progress!
Jun 26, 2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for deciding to show how it's done Ed. I look forward to seeing how you do those excellent covering jobs. Charles
Jun 27, 2008, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Geoff, I have looked at the Howard plans for months just waiting for the right time to start. When a model motivates me like this one has I can build very fast. I do eat, sleep, but don’t work, retired. One reason I started this thread is so you guys can keep me motivated to complete it. I have a number of models started but not finished. So keep after me to complete this one.

Charles, good to hear from you again.

Quick Reply