Jun 21, 2008, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Flying School Bus Build Thread

This is a partial build thread of the Flying School Bus by RcPowers.com. I was first interested in it as it seemed like an novelty to see an rc model roll on the ground as a bus and then transform into a flying model. My wife is a Children's director at a church in Arcadia, CA and I am always looking for different ways of catching the children's attention.
My goal was to build a bus that would advertise the Vacation Bible School at our church and then while the spectators are not expecting it, the model would transform into a plane and then take off!

The pictures following are self explanatory. Pictures only show up to the assembly of wing. I stopped at the fuse as Dave from RCPowers has better views of the fuselage in the video and I got distracted from taking pictures. My contribution is the hint about ink bleeding through the paint. Hope this helps others.

vincent
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2008, 03:34 PM
RC Guru
I've seen these fly, and while they fly slowly, they cn bea big pain to keep under controll,especially with someone who doesn't have traind thumbs. Tey tke a good combination of rudder, nd a bit of aileron to turn, they come don real hot. Also, theydon't fly without pwwer from the motor,so they turn into a ln dart.

Good luck. Clean build too
Jun 21, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
Xpress,
Yes it can be a "bear" initially. It is very boxy and has a lot of drag inducing square edges. It is not like my aerobatic gliders or my 3d foamy.
It is however a good attention getter for the kids and the transforming ability from car to plane is definitely a novelty. When I flew it yesterday, it was very squirelly and I had to keep my eyes on it. But, because I anticipated that beforehand, it was overall a fun flight! Not a handful but not a trainer.
Turns do require ailerons and rudder but are manageable. Landing was fast but I kept the power on. It was fun to be able to taxi and drive it around as a car.
This is NOT a trainer and Dave does make it clear on his site.
This was a fun plane to build and fly.

Thanks for your observations, Xpress!

Vincent
Last edited by vmaxmasonrya; Jun 21, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
Jan 19, 2020, 04:47 PM
Hi!

Sorry to reopen a VERY old thread..but..someone still have the flying bus plans?I know they are discontinued and rcpowers does not support or send it via mail.

Cheers
Jan 19, 2020, 10:23 PM

Flying bus

I have one almost ready except folding the wings. It needs a rod to flip and make the wings open. If You need a photo, I could send one to you. I need $100 dollars plus what ever the box and package is. It is very light. It is painted yellow and people painted inside it. I don't fly any more. It;s almost ready. I have some other planes also.

Larry Mossburg
Jan 19, 2020, 10:30 PM

Flying Buss

That is also shipping.
Larry Mossburg
Jan 20, 2020, 07:30 AM
thank you very much for your offer..but I live in italy and it's quite expensive to ship something..

I made one 10 years ago and then I sold it..now I would like to make another one but I've lost the plans..

The only thing I need are some measures and in sketchup I will redraw anything.

Quick Reply