ATHENA from a picture - Page 14 - RC Groups
Jan 15, 2009, 09:02 PM
Pete,

Most wire gauge is a integer number (12g, 16g,...), where smaller is larger. I think the numbers you listed, .032 and .040, are decimal inches, which is common for K&S Engineering music wire (found at most LHS and hardware stores). To get the right diameter wire you might have to experiment a bit and make up a couple of sample rails.

Matt
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2009, 05:10 AM
Retired for now
Thanks for that Matt. I always get confused with wire as it's backwards from everything else unless your an electrician and work with it.
A link was provided earlier for Harbor Models and they seem to have what I need. I'll probably order a few parts to see what they look like before I order enough for the whole boat. I was surprised when I measured up the length of railng that the Athena needs,almost ten feet. Railing adds up fast and stanchions even faster. Pete
Jan 16, 2009, 06:22 AM
Luckily for me, the Falcon does not have stanchions. I have to do is make a bunch of 90 degree bends in the wire, then get the hole lot chromed (maybe).

Matt
Jan 18, 2009, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
Selling flags at the local flea market has taken a lot of my time latly but I have managed to make a thingy to set on the rudder post and to install a servo for the steering. Just hooked it up and it runs smooth and true with the Tx. Only need the bats and the Rx cause there is no power in the boat. Nice and simple--if it works. Heres a couple of pics. Pete
Pete,
One quick question about your Rx antenna. Are you masts aluminum or some other type of metal? I wonder if this would cause and extra noise or interference and affect your range? Just thinking out loud.
Tom
Feb 25, 2009, 08:49 PM
Retired for now
metomwhou I've been down with a cold for a couple of weeks but am fine now and back to work on the Athena. To answer your question the masts are wood. Built up of several pieces and laminated and then shaped by sanding. I think they will be fine for what I have here.
Been working on the railings with some stuff I got from harbor Models and here is what I have so far. The railings need some intermedeate rails but I don't know how I'll get them on there now. I think I need smaller stancions but it doesn't look too bad. Added some hand rails along the walls on the first deck too. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Feb 25, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Feb 25, 2009, 09:41 PM
Pete, glad to hear you are over your cold, very unhappy to hear it took two weeks. I'm afraid I'm in for the same, has not been much fun. The Athena looks great, the handrails turned out very well. I'm not sure how you would add intermediate connections to the lower handrails once they are mounted, I'd probably make a little dodad and put it in with tweezers and some CA, but before the big cup of java. Cap
Feb 25, 2009, 09:58 PM
Retired for now
Hi Cap. Ya the cold thing is a pain but what can you do? I got past the cold in a week but the cough just kept up and although it's much better it is still with me. However I have to go to work this weekend like it or not. I'm losing way too much money sitting around waiting for this to get better and it's the very height of our season right now.
I'm thinking just like you on the intermedeate rail but it's gonna be a pain in the a-- job. Wish I could have found some smaller stancions. I'd do it all over if I could find the right parts. I drink decaf so the coffee is not a problem. Ha! Pete
Feb 25, 2009, 10:43 PM
Grumpa Tom
Pete, I had it recently too and it lasted me three and half weeks. Colds are getting tougher it seems!
Apr 15, 2009, 02:41 PM
Retired for now

Railings

Finally made a little headway on the railings. Added the third rail with solder and spent a ton of time filing the extra solder off the joints. Then put some spray paint on and here is what it looks like so far. There is supposed to be wood hand rails along the top but I'm not sure I want to bother with that. I'll have to grind down the top ball of each stancion and that's going to mess up the paint. I'm thinking about this for now but it would look nice.
Apr 15, 2009, 03:36 PM
Grumpa Tom
She looks fine so far!
Apr 15, 2009, 08:03 PM
Retired for now
Thanks Tom. I never would have thought that making all the detail would take me so long. The rails arn't that good a scale but they will have to do. I have about half of them made so now it's on to the other half and I havn't even thought about all the rigging and sails yet. Did add an inch to the keel and poured it full of lead.Hope it's heavy enough. Pete
Apr 16, 2009, 10:03 PM
Lookin good Pete, soldering rods together like that looks tough, seems like the solder doesn't want to do what you want it to, that's exactly what happens to me. A bit of filing and the end result looks just fine and it certainly looks great in place. Any progress on the sails, looking forward to seeing that too. Cap
May 12, 2009, 02:05 PM
Retired for now
Athena now has sufficient ballast in the keel to keep her upright.I let her float around for awhile and no leaks anywhere which is sort of a miracle in itself besides the fact that she floats. I think she is gonna work afterall. Pete

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...hewater001.flv

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...hewater002.flv
Last edited by norgale; May 12, 2009 at 02:10 PM.
May 12, 2009, 02:10 PM
That's great, Norgale!

She looks like she is in the Bahamas, with that clear water below!