Aug 06, 2008, 10:05 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Thread OP
Well i did some playing...

Turns out that if i build my Enterprise-F (Full Scale) out of Dow Protection Board it would weigh about 260 pounds....ovbiously i couldn't make it out of just foam but...

200 Sq. Feet of Surface Area, 14 foot span, 23 feet long.

Add 200 lbs for a motor, 400 lbs for passengers, 100 pounds for fuel... and we are at about 1000 pounds or so. Figure 5 pounds per square foot.

Nice wingloading!

Now i am not saying that this would just work but the possibilities are very interesting.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm a Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
Well i did some playing...

Turns out that if i build my Enterprise-F (Full Scale) out of Dow Protection Board it would weigh about 260 pounds....ovbiously i couldn't make it out of just foam but...

200 Sq. Feet of Surface Area, 14 foot span, 23 feet long.

Add 200 lbs for a motor, 400 lbs for passengers, 100 pounds for fuel... and we are at about 1000 pounds or so. Figure 5 pounds per square foot.

Nice wingloading!

Now i am not saying that this would just work but the possibilities are very interesting.
Interesting concept. It woudl definatly be neat If you kept it flat and just scaled it up, how would you get it strong enough to support all the weight? Think it would still fly if it were full fuse?
Aug 07, 2008, 04:25 AM
If it flys,I can crash it
Full scale would be cool.
However, based on your drawing, The prop blast would be a killer!

Tony
Aug 20, 2008, 11:26 PM
Fly Slow!
Hi SGTalon,

Great stuff! I've started a thread here in the Micro Indoor Forum called 'Star Trek Micros': https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910487

I wasn't aware of your work until researching and building a little 17g Enterprise for AeroAce gear. I'm very impressed with your models! There is mention of your blog in my thread and I hope you don't mind if I scale down your 1701-D plans for my next micro build since I've already started on it .

Thanks,
Rob

Here is my latest Wrath of Khan Enterprise:
Last edited by Robster; Aug 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM.
Aug 21, 2008, 09:13 AM
My planes have left thrust :s
thats pretty sweet!
Aug 21, 2008, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
If you print the 11x17 tiled prints as 8x11 it will be 1/2 Scale and have about a 10" Dia saucer.

Can't wait to see your version!

I like the detail on your Enterprise-A
Sep 10, 2008, 05:16 AM
Here's mine. She has a way to go but she's on her way.

Tony

Sep 10, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thread OP
VERY NICE CAPT!!!

SInce i have not built it with the new reinforcing spine, how stiff is it now?

Mine, despite many flights, hard landings, and immersion in water (hehe) is still holding up quite well with next to no reinforcement.

I really like the little bit of detail with the red nacelle tips

I can't wait to see it flying
Sep 10, 2008, 10:35 PM
Pretty stiff. Although I still am not happy with the nacelles. The way they flex you would think they will snap off the first time they hit a bit hard. Given yours has not; maybe they need to be that way.

I thought the Red was a nice touch and if I get the chance, I would like to put some blue glow wire on them as well.

As with the SD, If it survives the maiden, I'll have some video of it flying.

Tony
Sep 10, 2008, 11:14 PM
Fly Slow!
Nice job Cpt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
If you print the 11x17 tiled prints as 8x11 it will be 1/2 Scale and have about a 10" Dia saucer.

Can't wait to see your version!

I like the detail on your Enterprise-A
Thanks SGTalon,

Great plans! They scale down very nicely. I shrunk down the parts pdf onto 8.5 x 11 paper, then cut the individual parts out and blew them up by 165% which gives about a 9" saucer diam. - should be about the right size for AA gear, don't want to go any bigger/heavier than this.

It's going to be a fun little build. The templates are almost done, but I haven't had time to go any further.

Man, I can't wait to build it. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Rob
Sep 18, 2008, 03:27 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
What motor/ prop did you use on the "D" model?
Sep 18, 2008, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
I used a 3D motor setup. 1000kv Towerpro motor that puts out about 23oz of thrust with a 9x5 prop. This plane flies really good at slow speeds and higher speeds. But i would not want to try to take it above 45-50mph. With all the parts hanging out there in space, there is too much opportunity to get out of control.

I would say that it would fly with just about anything though.
Nov 01, 2008, 08:52 PM
I'm a Registered User
I've been threatening at make an SGTalon plane for months, and I've finally got both the time, and parts required I'm making a mini Enterprise for indoor use, using the UH 10g brushless(work in progress pic below). With an 11" saucer, it's almost exactly half scale to the original. I've got a question about the CG. Since I suck at math, can someone simply show me where the CG is supposed to be? Thanks
Nov 02, 2008, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Hey Bugman! Looks great!

CG ended up very close to the middle of the saucer. A bit forward of it to be exact. The good thing about it is there is a very large flyable CG range on it. If the CG is too far back is just mushes around in a very nose up position. It almost acts like a Canard plane.

Good luck on the maiden. Hopefully you can get us a video!
Nov 02, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'm a Registered User
Good to know. Thanks Here's my finished Enterprise. It's not super detailed, but I plan on making another one after testing it out. To save some weight, I decided to use only one aileron servo. The only thing I'm waiting on is an ESC, and that should be here shortly, and I hope to maiden it Wednsday at our indoor session.
Specs:
UH 10g motor, rewound by me to 2500 KV
Turnigy 6A, 6g ESC
GWS 5030 prop
2 Bidproduct 4.5g servos
Berg 4L reciever
CS 2S 200mah battery
1.5mm carbon spars down the neck and along the saucer
AUW is 3oz with this little battery

Quick Reply