Twirl Lightflite Kit. - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 25, 2008, 04:09 PM
Keep it simple
Jon,

You've got it right. Actually, if you are unsure, just take a rotor and let it drop to the floor - it will usually do a turn or so before it hits, and that will give you the rotor spin direction

Al
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2008, 04:56 PM
Been There! Done That!
Rotors switched. Pics and instructions were clear... just another senior moment!
boomer
Jun 26, 2008, 01:08 AM
Been There! Done That!
Wondered how much adding the tail skid and fuse reinforcing added to AUW. Weighed completed plane with all non installed items and was exactly 6.5oz.
Upper limit of published weight. Figure I can finish it up by the week end. So with 12oz of thrust available it should do quite well! I can see why Al has been using only 3/4 throttle.
boomer
Jun 26, 2008, 07:28 AM
PSALM 14:1

re

Thanks for the pictures and added mod advice Boomer--I always look for "BommerMods" as they are most helpful. My kit should be here soon....
Jun 26, 2008, 01:47 PM
Been There! Done That!
Good luck all! Let us know how the build and maiden goes. We'll be watching! I'll try to get a video some where along the way. Will be going in for some minor surgery in July so will affect my flight schedules but I'll be watching. I still have now 10 planes I haven't maidened but will schedule the Twirl first!
boomer
Jun 27, 2008, 06:26 PM
Been There! Done That!
Well wind as usual is 24 gusting to 26 but I have a protected driveway long enough to do a short ROG and immediate landing. Twirl was off in about 5 feet and I let it get about 3 feet off the ground before I landed as I was running out of driveway. Looks like it's really going to be cool!
boomer
Jun 30, 2008, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Well wind as usual is 24 gusting to 26 but I have a protected driveway long enough to do a short ROG and immediate landing. Twirl was off in about 5 feet and I let it get about 3 feet off the ground before I landed as I was running out of driveway. Looks like it's really going to be cool!
boomer

Get to fly it yet Boomer?
Jul 01, 2008, 01:00 AM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
Get to fly it yet Boomer?
I go in for some minor surgery Thursday so it will have to wait until I recover from that. In the meantine I ordered a Gym-E from Stevens. The original Todd Long Kit I used to fly out of my garage, the length of the Cul de sac, across the street into the Church parking lot and back into my garage, It will fly at a walking pace but needs low wind of course. Only plane I ever owned I could take for walks!
boomer
Jul 04, 2008, 03:26 PM
Been There! Done That!
Surgery rescheduled (more tests ) so was able to maiden the plane in my small cul de sac yesterday! What a great plane to draw a crowd! Had all the neighbors watching! I have replaced the stock wheels with 3" Mpi wheels. Added a few grams but now can fly the plane from my rough regular flying field. Will get a video later after the surgery is done and I'm back flying! Al and Ron thanks for a great unusual plane!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Jul 05, 2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Typos
Jul 05, 2008, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Surgery rescheduled (more tests ) so was able to maiden the plane in my small cul de sac yesterday! What a great plane to draw a crowd! Had all the neighbors watching! I have replaced the stock wheels with 3" Mpi wheels. Added a few grams but now can fly the plane from my rough regular flying field. Will get a video later after the surgery is done and I'm back flying! Al and Ron thanks for a great unusual plane!
boomer

Best of luck on the tests and surgery Boomer, hurry back!
Jul 07, 2008, 04:22 PM
Canard Driver

Twirl

I've been reading this thread and have decieded to order one. On Saturday
I also saw one fly at Sea World field.. The person flying the
Twirl said he had down loaded the plans from RC Groups? I looked around but counld'nt find the plans.... Does anyone know anything about this??
so my LiteFlight kit is in the mail, but I sure would like to see the orignal...
thanks Dick
Jul 07, 2008, 08:28 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P.
I've been reading this thread and have decieded to order one. On Saturday
I also saw one fly at Sea World field.. The person flying the
Twirl said he had down loaded the plans from RC Groups? I looked around but counld'nt find the plans.... Does anyone know anything about this??
so my LiteFlight kit is in the mail, but I sure would like to see the orignal...
thanks Dick
Yeah just look in this Forum at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450021
boomer
Jul 08, 2008, 12:22 PM
Canard Driver

Twirl

Thanks a lot Boomer thats exactly what I was looking for!!!
Dick
Jul 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
Canard Driver

Twirl

Wow I sent for the kit on Saturday and it got here Wednesday morning, now
thats service! I see minor changes between the orignal Twirl and the Liteflite
I called and talked to Ron, because I have no experence with auto gyro's and
in his text he states that a lite weight Twirl can be made by using a Eflight
250 and after talking to him I used the motor he sells, I guess the more power
and more weight makes it easier to handle outside conditions. we will see !!
mine is ready to go this AM! The rotors went around pretty good but I thought I would try some graphite lubricant on the shafts it made them turn
a lot easier.
Off to the park......
Dick
Jul 10, 2008, 01:29 PM
Wow-that's a quick build. Mine took a week or so, but I spent alot of time with the sharpies and tend to putter sometimes when putting these things together.

Twirl was my first autogyro and I found it real easy to fly. ROGs real quick and then just cruises around like an easy three channel plane with a little greater angle of attack. Bring it up a bit, cut the power and watch it float down slowly with the rotors braking the descent-really cool!

Have fun and post some pics if you can.

-Jon