Twirl Lightflite Kit. - Page 13 - RC Groups
Sep 24, 2008, 09:32 AM
Al,

Just out of curiousity,what is the smallest Twirl you have made? I've started thinking about taking some X-twin/Aeroace stock components and trying to build a thrust vector version. Hmm....
===================
www.rctoolbox.no-ip.com
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2008, 12:59 PM
Keep it simple
Hi Chris,

My smallest is the MicroTwirl, 1/3rd scale, weighing 12 grams with two 0.4 gram magnetic actuators for the rudder and elevator, MicroInvent Rx, 3 ohm Orange 7mm pager motor driving Triturbofan propeller on a single cell 60mAh Li-Po.

I've attached a few photos, and here is one of many movies on Putfile:-

http://media.putfile.com/Microtwirl-in-Badminton-Court

Al
Sep 24, 2008, 04:35 PM
70 is the new 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensic Flyer
Today I had my first Twirl "incident". This little machine has been flying like a dream and was doing that very thing today until...the motor fell off. Well, it did not actually fall off, it just came loose and twisted all the wires into a tight braid. The prop struck the main landing gear and actually nearly cut through the carbon fiber. I had to shut the power off and the Twirl floated gently down. Easily repairable (if I can find a 16" piece of carbon fiber). Also tweaked the tip of one rotor blade, but that has been fixed. I guess the message is: check the little machine screw that tightens on the motor every now and then. Makes me feel a little stupid, but the slight damage that resulted from a pretty high altitude eases the pain.

Chuck
...somewhere in Indiana...
Chuck,

You were lucky. My brand new motor ended up the same way but broke one of the wires where it exits the assembly. It was pretty tough, if not impossible to repair so I had to get another motor. This time I applied a blob of epoxy to the area the wires exit the coils to keep them from moving and eventually breaking.

-bob
Sep 24, 2008, 04:48 PM
Restricted User
Racer,
not so easy with X-twin/AA components. There were a few attempts, not sure, whether anyone turned out succesfull. Here's more Twirl to motivate you..
Stephan
Sep 24, 2008, 09:41 PM
Bob. I did not use epoxy but did apply some silicone where the wires are affixed. I am surprised they did not pull loose, but everything is still working. I am think expoxy would have been a better choice. Hope you are up and going again. I still have some LG repairs to do. I can't believe the motor pulled out of the mount at about 1/4 throttle. It was hard to pull out by hand when the screw was loosened. Oh well, live and learn. It only takes a minute to check a few things out before you fly. I have seen guys drop their battery in flight. I have dropped mine. I really can't think of an excuse for that happening though. I gotta remember to slow down and do a little pre-flight check. I also know as sure as I am saying it, I won't, and somewhere down the line something will happend and I will wonder why I didn't.

Chuck
Sep 24, 2008, 11:58 PM
I use small cable ties next to motor . Easy to get off and doesn't weigh much.
Sep 27, 2008, 10:29 PM
Mishap #2. Just got the twirl repaired and while flying today the motor pulled loose from the mount AGAIN. Hard to believe. Care was taken to make certain it was tight. After a couple of flights it just pulled out and mutilated my rotor blades. When I replaced the motor it was difficult to even push into the mount and now I have tightened it down again (can't put a whole lot of torque into tightening that tiny phillips head screw). Blades are fixed and I am ready to go again. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make the motor stick in the mount without permanently bonding it. If so, let me know. In the meantime, I will just keep checking it when flying.

Chuck
Sep 27, 2008, 10:32 PM
Been There! Done That!
Have you used Blue Locktite on the set screw? I alway use it otherwise the screw will loosen.
boomer
Sep 27, 2008, 10:43 PM
It's a BIG park
Chuck,
I used some 80 grit sandpaper to roughen the tube on the motor and inside the clamp part of the mount. Just enough to score the alumimum tube and plastic without sanding them smaller.
I havenít had it come loose yet.

I did loose the left rotor today.
About 35ft up pulling out of a loop and the rotor just came floating down.
I was able to get the plane down to about 6ft before it rolled over nose first into the ground.
The little peice of black plastic tube busted the glue and there went the rotor.
Knocked a servo loose and cracked the foam fuse at both the leading edge and trailing edge of the wing mount but nothing I canít fix once I get some more foam safe CA.
Ric
Sep 27, 2008, 10:59 PM
Boomer: I have not used lock tight. Should have thought of that already. Thanks for the heads up.

Ric: Roughing the surfaces soundls like it will help also. I'll do it. I did not elect to use the black tubing to hold the rotors on. I have wheel collars on mine and that has worked out great. I hav wondered if a Twirl can survive the lost of one rotor and still get down without too much damage.

Thanks guys for the tips

Chuck
Sep 28, 2008, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrkFlyrRic
Chuck,
I used some 80 grit sandpaper to roughen the tube on the motor and inside the clamp part of the mount. Just enough to score the alumimum tube and plastic without sanding them smaller.
I havenít had it come loose yet.

I did loose the left rotor today.
About 35ft up pulling out of a loop and the rotor just came floating down.
I was able to get the plane down to about 6ft before it rolled over nose first into the ground.
The little peice of black plastic tube busted the glue and there went the rotor.
Knocked a servo loose and cracked the foam fuse at both the leading edge and trailing edge of the wing mount but nothing I canít fix once I get some more foam safe CA.
Ric
I was a bit more fortunate... found on landing recently that the motor had almost worked itself out of the mount. Tightening the motor mount set screw, and even replacing it with a bit 'beefier' machine screw still didn't help.
What DID finally work (hasn't worked loose now in 4-5 flights of up to 14 min duration): I scored the rear housing of the motor circumferentially with a file (I found the surface too hardened for sandpaper) then applied a THIN layer of blue loctite to the scored housing, inserted into the mount, tightened it down... VOILA!

The acid test... REMOVING the motor from the housing (as I just broke the shaft on a slightly rough grass landing): I placed a wide tip slotted screwdriver between the motor(coils) and the motor mount, and with gentle steady prying, the motor came out of the housing with no damage to either.
Sep 29, 2008, 12:58 AM
I had thought about locktite, but did not use it. I didn't think I needed it as it was a pretty hard push to get the motor in and back out. I will score it as you suggested (tomorrow) and try some blue on it. Thanks for your info. I actually did not know if other folks were having trouble with this. Now I know at least a few have had the same problem. I have chopped my blades up pretty good, but they are repaired. Do they sell just a blade kit for the Twirl?
If anybody knows, please let me know. Thanks again.

Chuck
Sep 29, 2008, 02:59 AM
It's a BIG park
Chuck,
Just send Ron an email at Lightflite, I'm sure he'll help you out.
Ric