Twirl Lightflite Kit. - Page 11 - RC Groups
Sep 09, 2008, 09:35 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by weed
I agree boomer,

and the twirl can fly well with a bit more weight......but should such a small lippo take so long to re-charge? perhaps yes due to the 1C recharge rate being so low? any way I NEED MORE TWIRL time and guess a slightly larger 2s1p is in order! but like I said...HAVE no clue what other plane ( like I fly) would ever use a 2s1p...thats the only down side.

Pat
Yes that's about the correct recharge time. Actually I have 3 of the packs and after a time just land and slap on another pack.
boomer
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2008, 09:54 PM
Well, first you didn't ask me,, but, you can kill a new battery in one flight! Or shorten it's life span in half. Tip IMO you should never fly a battery to cutoff . I try and stay with the 80% rule.
Next,, batteries should be broke in slowly . I don't have a kit setup. But I would try a Flight power lite 2 cell 800mah battery. Good luck.
Sep 09, 2008, 10:07 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Well, first you didn't ask me,, but, you can kill a new battery in one flight! Or shorten it's life span in half. Tip IMO you should never fly a battery to cutoff . I try and stay with the 80% rule.
Next,, batteries should be broke in slowly . I don't have a kit setup. But I would try a Flight power lite 2 cell 800mah battery. Good luck.
Actually that's a good point. I never fly to cut off but rather land and slap on another lipo. I always buy 2 or more of every battery I use. The only exception is my AP Plane. With the 3S 3300 I can stay up longer than I can hold the TX and never reach cut off.
boomer
Sep 10, 2008, 09:53 AM
Pat,

I'm using the 2s1p 450 mah pack that came with the kit. I guess I should have said it wasn't the "cut off" point I hit, but rather the reduced power setting on the ESC.

The 80% rule is definitely a great idea for max battery life. I have a new TrueRC 450 pack that I'm going to test with it to see how it fairs compared to the stock pack. Also any of the Thunderpower "Pro-lite" series should also work for more Twirl time.
===================
www.rctoolbox.no-ip.com
Sep 10, 2008, 11:43 AM
I also use TP batteries on planes and helicopters. But the Flight power pro-lite 800mAh battery has a long and narrow design that I think would work and fit very good on this setup. I use these same batteries with my CX2 helicpter . I use the 800mAh batteries. I haven't flown my setup yet, but I'm guessing about 15 minutes with a 800mAh !!
This link will show you a smaller mAh battery.
http://www.flightpowerusa.com/Produc...?item=EVOLITE-
Last edited by DanT; Sep 10, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Sep 13, 2008, 12:45 AM
Weed's Are People Too!
Some very nice MODS DanT.
I think this is the link/batt you are talking about-
http://www.flightpowerusa.com/index....p^currency=USD

Yhe link you posted was for a 350mah lippo...But grat price on your 800mah and 30C too...have you used this sithe before? if so how is the shipping cost & quality? looks like a real good setup.

I put a heaver lippo on mine just to test If I could use it..a 3s1p 950 25C...and the extra weight flew ok....lite is easier on it if you land hard tho'
but I WANT more twirl time...so still looking for just the RIGHT setup lippo-wise.

and I like the way it fly's so will have to stick with a 2s1p...because the 3 pack would really require me to drop a prop size to keep everything else happy!!

I took the twirl to my local HS ( per a request from 1 of the employes) and it was a big hit...think I sold a few of them for Al/Liteflight too ...

Pat
Last edited by weed; Sep 13, 2008 at 12:50 AM.
Sep 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
It's a BIG park
I'm going to use these 640 LiPo's on my Twirl, better endurance, not much more weight and good size.
They arn't the cheapest but I have them on hand.
Ric
Sep 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRVP5&P=7 This is a good battery also,, cost less then the one you have is bigger 800mAh and is only 2grams heavier . Check then out some time.
Sep 19, 2008, 03:29 PM
Weed's Are People Too!
wow DanT...nice find...and it say's this too.............

800 2S 7.4V LiPo Battery Pack with Balance Connector from FlightTech.

FEATURES: Ultimate lightweight power for foamies up to F3A
2C Fast Charge approved <<<<-------- YOU can charge at 2 C?????????
18C Continuous Discharge
28C Burst

man....can any good Lippo charger work on this lippo @ 2C ? or do you have to have some special charger?? Mine will dial up to it...just not sure if a SPECIAL 1 is needed....
I ordered 1 shipping is a bit hight tho' 10.00 shipping fee ...but the lippo is a great deal/price.
Thanks DanT

Pat
Last edited by weed; Sep 19, 2008 at 08:22 PM.
Sep 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
Mine read 20C continuous and 30 burst! even better then you thought !
Sep 20, 2008, 02:18 PM
It's a BIG park
DanT,
I like the readings on those LiPoís also, thanks for the link.
Right now I only have a couple of planes that will use a pack that size but there are a couple more on my wish list and Iíll have to give them a try.

As for the Twirl, I got the maiden flight done and have run three more packs through it.
Flies great. I even got it up in a little wind. Instead of the servos Ron uses I used Futaba S3114ís with the micro connector and I guess they are a little to high on torque, when I push the rudder over to full deflection it twists the entire tail. I thought about trying to reinforce the rear fuse but I really donít need 45 degrees of rudder. Iíll just reset my end points for less throw.
Pretty cool little plane for those low wind evenings in my front yard.
Ric
Sep 20, 2008, 05:14 PM
Keep it simple
Hi Ric,

I'm glad that the Twirl flights went OK

The fuselage/tailplane twisting with rudder is more aesthetic than practical - it turns OK as it is, right? I have few "shockie" style aircraft and when you roll, the tailplane is about a second or so behind the rest of the plane - it's quirky but you get used to it.

So that's two Twirls in Texas so far, unless folks know differently

Al
Sep 20, 2008, 11:59 PM
Al...finished my twirl (built from a kit) a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed at how it flew on the maiden flight. Have about 20 flight on it now and it still doing great. I got it upside down today. When I did, the rotors stopped. Then, it simply flopped over the the rotors started up again. Amazing machine you have designed and it is honestly a blast to fly. Do you have any plans available for the model that is being kitted? Thanks for this great little aircraft. I tried to get another one, but everyone is OUT OF STOCK! I am goin to try to attach a photo here (wish me luck).

Chuck
...somewhere in Indiana...
Sep 21, 2008, 02:33 AM
Keep it simple
Hi Chuck,

I'm glad you are having so much fun with your Twirl If you look on the big Twirl thread, you will find my efforts to fly a Twirl upside down, including a version with a flat wing/ailerons ( that didn't work ) and also a version with variable dihedral ( that was showing promise, and I must get back to that one).

The original plan is available in post #63 of the main thread here:-

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=450021&page=5

Note that it differs from the kit version mainly in the in the rotor and undercarriage construction, but my original Twirl prototype is still going strong after 480 or so flights.

Al
Sep 21, 2008, 11:27 AM
Tip,, if your running the Blue Wonders 1300 to 1500kv motors.
They will stop running like you hit low volt cutoff if your using a Thunderbird-9 esc. They do run well on the Thunderbird-18 .
Just pm me if you need more information.