Thread Tools
Nov 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
JefFPV
Hey everyone, I am using an align gp790 gyro for my tail.... the tail is mushy as hell.... I upped the gain so much but the tail overshoots on a quick stop and shakes on hard climbs and hard descents. I am using a spektrum H6080G Servo on the tail..... I have a gp780 here as well do you think I should try switching gyros? Or is there something on this heli I should look at that may cause this problem? Thanks.....
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2012, 08:57 PM
JefFPV
Oh, and with the gain turned all the way to 96% still no wag
Nov 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
Registered User
mligosh's Avatar
What do you have for expo?
Nov 21, 2012, 12:24 AM
JefFPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mligosh
What do you have for expo?
does it matter what I have for expo? it's 100
Nov 21, 2012, 07:03 AM
Registered User
mligosh's Avatar
I would suggest dropping the expo to something like 30% and then you can also lower that gain back down to a more reasonable startingpoint.

Mike
Nov 21, 2012, 07:08 AM
Registered User
mligosh's Avatar
Expo softens the controls around neutral so at 100 percent you will have very little control deflection until you reach maximum stick deflection
Nov 21, 2012, 07:56 AM
JefFPV
Oh crap, what am I saying, my expo it's at 15 all around, not 100. Sorry about that
Nov 21, 2012, 06:58 PM
JefFPV
The tail slider is moving nice and smooth when not powered up, I changed the gyro and no change same thing. I powered it up, disconnected the servo control rod and tried moving the slider by hand and it is really hard to move... Is that normal when the motor is powered up? Centrifugal force trying to straighten the tail blade holders? I want to fix this but I am running out of ideas..... Thanks
Nov 21, 2012, 07:31 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981
The tail slider is moving nice and smooth when not powered up, I changed the gyro and no change same thing. I powered it up, disconnected the servo control rod and tried moving the slider by hand and it is really hard to move... Is that normal when the motor is powered up? Centrifugal force trying to straighten the tail blade holders? I want to fix this but I am running out of ideas..... Thanks
That sounds like you may have a bad bearing in the blade grips or the one-way bearing is not assembled with the plates in the right sequence.
Nov 21, 2012, 11:24 PM
JefFPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict
That sounds like you may have a bad bearing in the blade grips or the one-way bearing is not assembled with the plates in the right sequence.
You said one way bearing not installed properly? I never had it apart. Or did you mean thrust bearing in the tail??? Thanks... I will take tail blade grips off tomorrrow to check them. I appreciate it.
Nov 22, 2012, 12:33 AM
JefFPV
I just took the tail blade grips off. They are just traditional bearings with a spacer in between, no thrust bearings...I noticed they were pretty loose. How tight should they be? I'm assuming until they bind than back off a hair? and what stops them from loosening up? I just want this figured out.... It has to be mechanical and not the gyro... I have to be overlooking something
Nov 22, 2012, 11:00 AM
That's Pretty Neat!
FR4-Pilot's Avatar
Blue threadlock keeps the grip bolts from loosening up and flying out. The grips should rotate freely without any resistance. Those spacers are important - make sure both grips have them between the bearings. The used heli I bought was missing them (stressing the bearings when the bolt was tightened) and the grips/slider assembly was very hard to move - unflyable basically.
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Nov 28, 2012, 07:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot
Blue threadlock keeps the grip bolts from loosening up and flying out. The grips should rotate freely without any resistance. Those spacers are important - make sure both grips have them between the bearings. The used heli I bought was missing them (stressing the bearings when the bolt was tightened) and the grips/slider assembly was very hard to move - unflyable basically.
And I would bet the fellow you bought it from thought the Swift was not a good heli, when it was his assembly errors that werer at fault...had a similar occurance at our field this summer. The guy was badmouthing the heli every chance he got...when I checked his build and corrected a couple of errors, set it up properly, it flew like a champion.
Nov 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
JefFPV
Yeah, I went over this heli again really good this time and found so many problems..... got some parts on order.... gonna fix it right this time and try it again.....
Nov 28, 2012, 10:49 PM
That's Pretty Neat!
FR4-Pilot's Avatar
GyroMan - it was a very strange situation. The previous owner claimed ignorance to a lot of things that were wrong with the heli - blaming them on his previous owner. I don't think either of them knew how to properly build/setup/fix a heli - that thing was an explosion waiting to happen. If somebody else were to have bought it instead of me and actually spooled it up it would have been really, really bad. 6S, 1100kV and a 13T pinion, with McGuyver'd arms & pushrods in the head

gs550t1981 - What did you find ... do tell
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Tales of Gadget's Swift 16 Gadget01 Large Electric Helis 486 Nov 18, 2010 12:13 AM
Discussion Tales of Everyone's Swift(s) JustPlaneChris Electric Heli Talk 2551 Jun 17, 2008 08:46 AM
FS- Super Bright LED's - Part II - Only $1 each or less! One time offer. Etonic Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 45 Jan 10, 2004 07:07 PM
Four red 1400SCR's and two 75mah 7 cell packs Lance Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 20, 2002 01:55 PM