Tales of Everyone's Swift(s) Part Two - Page 342 - RC Groups
Mar 07, 2010, 07:46 PM
Couple of pics of my completed Swift 16. Last thing I did was to spray the windshield black, helps to increase the visibility. Still fiddling with throttle curves, piro rates and expo trying to get the right feel.
Managed a couple of flights today, things are starting to come together.
jc
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2010, 08:26 PM
Nice, coming along well for you. I was thinking about painting my windshield, but then I would not be able to visually check my Rx without removing the canopy....
Mar 07, 2010, 10:56 PM
Nice looking blades, jc! What brand are they?

Cactus, what would you need to visually check on your RX?

-Chris
Mar 07, 2010, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
Cactus, what would you need to visually check on your RX?
As a pre-flight check I do make sure the connectors are secure and the lights look good on the Spektrum gear. Not critical, but never hurts to be safe.

Head Setup: I did find several of the links needed to be re-sized and that made the fly-bar pivot easier than it did before. I discovered that my fly-bar arms where not level to begin with so I will need to see if there is enough play in the flat spot for the setscrew to rotate it so they are inline.
Mar 08, 2010, 06:52 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanC
Couple of pics of my completed Swift 16.
jc
Great feeling when it comes together, looking good! And like Chris said; Nice looking blades, jc! What brand are they? We'd like to know...
Mar 08, 2010, 03:02 PM
Just a cautionary heads-up JonathanC. A few years ago, a friend tried painting the plastic windscreens on some of his nitro birds. Unfortunatley, he found that when left in the hot sun, they would warp.
Mar 08, 2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the comments. The blades are generic from HobbyCity.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...e_%28type_2%29

They are very stiff and come in at ~ 107g, they work well and seem to auto all day, but I don't have much experience with blades of this size. The decals you see on the top ( and bottom ) are cut from a large "trim sheet" from the LHS.

jc
Mar 08, 2010, 08:52 PM
Psurvival = 1/ThArrival
At 107g I bet they would auto for sure .

The Mini Titan's faux CF windscreen is another good one for sunny days- melts on your heli, not in your hand.....
Mar 08, 2010, 10:08 PM
Anybody have any recommendations for a heli tach ? My little GloBee Intellitach works for my 450 size heli fine but doesn't work for the Swift, the readings are all over the place.
Thanks
jc
Mar 08, 2010, 10:34 PM
Psurvival = 1/ThArrival
You're not trying it under house lighting, are you? Mine works fine in sunlight. 60 Hz house lighting- especially fluorescent -drives it batty.

My favorite tach is the Eagletree microLogger .
Mar 08, 2010, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by osterizer
You're not trying it under house lighting, are you? Mine works fine in sunlight. 60 Hz house lighting- especially fluorescent -drives it batty.

Thanks osterizer I'll check out the EagleTree.
And no I wasn't indoors. I tried a few times both outside in bright sunlight. I'll haven't change the battery yet so I'll give that a go when the sun comes back .
jc
Mar 09, 2010, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanC
Anybody have any recommendations for a heli tach ? My little GloBee Intellitach works for my 450 size heli fine but doesn't work for the Swift, the readings are all over the place.
Thanks
jc
I have this Model Avionics unit optical tach - works great.

http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...Code=MAV804260

Works on all helis - electric, nitor, gassers

Reads up to 3100 rpm.
Mar 10, 2010, 08:00 AM
I have the same tach as cyclic. Works great and gives repeatable results.

MA Sky Tach 3100 rpm max. There is an older version with a lower max rpm rating
Mar 10, 2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by osterizer
I have an Eagletree as well. I just started using the Brush-less RPM Sensor to calculate HS.
Mar 10, 2010, 09:32 AM
RCHN #150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclick
I have this Model Avionics unit optical tach - works great.

http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...Code=MAV804260

Works on all helis - electric, nitor, gassers

Reads up to 3100 rpm.
Repeatable results - closely (within 10%) of CC Governor settings.

Rick