Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 24, 2003, 04:22 PM

Why you should use shrink wrap and a seat belt!

Here is my battery after the hot melt glue softened during flight and ejected out of my SB Sport about 25' to it's demise. I am pretty sure that had I used some shrink wrap and or a battery "seat belt" this wouldn't have happened
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2003, 04:26 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
Yikes.

How's your Switchback? I hope the crash wasn't too hard on it.

If not shrinkwrap maybe some strapping tape?

BC
Jan 24, 2003, 04:27 PM

Now on to the other carnage.

Unlike the battery the plane is no where near totaled. As far as I am concerned very minimal damage for free flying 25' down to the pavement inverted and not even breaking the stab. I guess that not having the battery in there makes a lot softer on impact. It looks like a cracked leading edge and some crushed center rib. But aside from that an a scuff on the top of the wing tip the wing pulled through beautifully!
Jan 24, 2003, 04:30 PM

The fuse didn't fair quite as well,

but is very repairable and I don't think I'll even need to strip any covering. I am very impressed with the durability of this plane. I think I should just start treating it a little better!
Jan 24, 2003, 04:33 PM

Last one

Landing gear still holding strong
Jan 24, 2003, 05:11 PM
Well it's fixed up and ready to go, after 20 minutes of intense repair and realigning I don't think I'll even have to patch the wing covering, it peeled right back after got under the edge and I think I'll be able to stick it back down. Kudos to Doug for this plane and all the others. I am kind of disappointed. This would have been perfect justification to get the SB3D, but alas I'll have to wait for a major catastrophy.
Jan 24, 2003, 06:04 PM
That's the nice thing about Switchbacks; they're really not that hard to fix. There just isn't too much to it :0

If you look closely at this picture:
http://www.diff.net/media/2002_12_21...m/img_2673.htm

you'll see the dents in the KR-1400AE cells that were ejected at 150' from my Zagi-like wing in a power dive. Oh, and the pack was shrinkwrapped and hit relatively soft dirt. The shrinkwrap failed and one tab came off of a cell, but I caught the plane as it fluttered down

If you don't use shrinkwrap, at least try a little tape

-Peter