Jun 15, 2008, 07:11 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Discussion

BB63 USS Missouri 1/96 scale

One of the ongoing models here in the Portland area was making it's debut today at Tualatin Commons.

Rick Piper's USS Missouri was getting some sea trials in.
The build is by Bob Muller, and he has spent years getting this project done for Rick...

The Hull is by Scale Shipyard came from Galaxy Hobbies in Lynnwood, WA.
When Rick and his son bought the hull They slipped it into the car through
the trunk. The employees came out to watch, as the 8' plus hull magically
disappeared into the trunk... (and eventually met the dash)

Bob Muller was contracted to build up the balance of the ship, and while the
pictures could never do his work justice, hopefully they speak volumes about
the time and effort to get the details down correct. Much of the superstructure pieces are assembled in acyrlic(perspex) and the decking is
hand laid.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
Beautiful!
Jun 15, 2008, 07:16 PM
Dragon Slayer
That is some beautifull work, I think I know who will get best of show.
Jun 15, 2008, 08:36 PM

Help, please

That is a beautiful model. A friend here also has a 1/96 Missouri. He brought it from Iowa to Minnesota to display it in our club's annual show last weekend. Very unfortunately, a somewhat careless PT boat operator in the club - not me - ran over the stern of the MO and destroyed the crane and the planes (Kingfishers).
I tried to locate some 1/96 model Kingfishers to replace the damaged ones, but can't find any.

Could someone please tell me where the planes on Rick Pipers' model came from? Are they 1/72 or 1/96?

Very grateful for any info to help find some repalcement Kingfishers.

Thanks,
DanL
Jun 15, 2008, 08:46 PM
Mmm, tugs...
John R Haynes in the UK makes them, JRH p/n JH-B68... carried by Loyalhanna and Floating Drydock over here.

Pat M
Jun 15, 2008, 09:35 PM
Pat,
Thank you!!!
Jun 16, 2008, 02:53 AM
Drydock Captian
Nice looking ship, I love the Mo and I have dreams of building her one day myself. One question tho, what is up with the bulb on the bow in the last pic? That is not scale the Iowa Class has a much smaller bulb that does not protrude much in front of the ship. Is this just for the model's stability and to help it create less wake?

Massey
Jun 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
I think if someone were to run over the stern of one of my vessels causing damage like that, I'd meet them at the waterfront when they brought their boat in and very carefully plant my size 12 EEE right foot squarely onto the stern of that boat, then look that operator right in the eye and say "oops, sorry". (he he he)

Large Mike

Quick Reply