Jun 14, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

MIG-21 build thread

I started this in November last year and it was stop and go due to family needs then we got newborn month ago that put stop on the project and whenever i can steal some time it gets "wasted" as my wife says, on this.

I intended this model to be powered by 64mm fan and gws green inrunner 3900kv on 4s lipos or cut down mini fan rotor in 64mm housing that takes motors up to 28mm in dia. E-flite airliner and HL exec jet use those.
Started as usual from enlarged 3 views at kinkos than templates for foam cuter and plugs for small parts. It takes more time that I first planed.
I used 2" blue foam for fuselage and hard skinned depron for wings,not flat plate kind but double surface with airfoil. Depron I found is tough, let say harder to ding than Alfa models kind, yet lightweight, elevators and vertical stab have airfoil as well. Fuselage will need some sort of protection like Elmers glue/water/silkspan or WBPU/ light glass covering.
Anyway model is 42" long, nose tip to exhaust end, 24" wingspan. Weight so far is 8oz in foam parts and few vacum formed parts. It will have only split tail for control.
It will have vacum formed inlet lip, wingtips, elevator root, inlet nose cone, canopy and few other details like bumps and dummy parachute holder on vertical stab bottom.
Ducting is quite long and I think it will need aux inlet under the wing or on the fuse bottom just like HP f-16 has.
Few pictures will tell more. It still has to get battery holder, cut out motor/fan saddle and vacum formed servo holders and covers, paint and so on. Most of you know how it gets when you stare at your finished model, always add something.
I even got vinyl stickers done like red stars and numbers, just need to catch my buddy to give it to me.

I am trying to calculate the CG before adding motor/fan and battery tray position.
I plan not to go over 25 oz AUW, lighter the better.

Thanks for looking guys.
Last edited by darmar; Feb 02, 2010 at 12:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2008, 01:05 PM
Pro Hoarder
Nice project! I am watching!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 14, 2008, 04:02 PM
LilliputianPilotSolutions
EXCELLENT!!! This is exactly the way I've always envisioned a scale foamy build. Using a foam base with selective vacuformed components and applied details. Seeing this done on the Mig-21 platform is just PERFECT!

The ice tea and chips are in hand... on with the build!!!

BOOMER52
Jun 14, 2008, 04:36 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Sweet! Lot of guys are chomping at the bit for one of these. I think your thread will get a lot of hits once people notice. Nice vacu-formed parts too.

Steve C
Jun 14, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C
Sweet! Lot of guys are chomping at the bit for one of these. I think your thread will get a lot of hits once people notice. Nice vacu-formed parts too.

Steve C
Thanks guys.
It takes time to complete it all especially vacum forming thing, dealing with leaks and bad pulls.
Hotwire cuter is piece of cake to deal with.
Jun 14, 2008, 06:09 PM
hole digger
Finally a Mig-21 and it's looking good!!! Do you plan on doing a kit or just make us want one?

hd
Jun 14, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hole digger
Finally a Mig-21 and it's looking good!!! Do you plan on doing a kit or just make us want one?

hd
Good point. If HL can sell around these http://www.hobby-lobby.com/free-air-jets.htm
I don't see why shouldn't I offer few.

Yes HD I might do short kit run once everything runs as planed like projected AUW and actual flying, not just floating around as you might pay $200+ for an arf foamy and it just floats around with included junk. I won't mention any names/brands here. Exceptions deserve credit given and those are minority. Don't get me started now.
Back to the build table.
Last edited by darmar; Jun 14, 2008 at 08:10 PM.
Jun 14, 2008, 08:02 PM
Life begins at transition
Looks good! Keeping an eye on this one
Jun 14, 2008, 09:27 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
I couldn't even imagine attempting something like this. It must be very satisfying to finish a project like this but also infuriating sometimes. I will keep an eye on this. The Mig 21 is one of my favourite planes. I have a thing for soviet jets
Good luck and keep "wasting time"
Jun 14, 2008, 09:39 PM
My plans are in my blog
Very nice plane.
Jun 15, 2008, 02:37 AM
Suspended Account
Count me in on a kit!!! If you go that route. I love the 21. No one kits and edf one other than green air. And its a little hoaky.
Jun 15, 2008, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin
Count me in on a kit!!! If you go that route. I love the 21. No one kits and edf one other than green air. And its a little hoaky.
You got it. I know you got the thing for Russian jets. How about twin edf-55 mig-29?
Jun 15, 2008, 10:40 PM

Could you add my name in the waiting list for the Mig 21
Thanks.
Jun 15, 2008, 10:59 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
I'm watching this one.

Mike
Jun 15, 2008, 11:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflight

Could you add my name in the waiting list for the Mig 21
Thanks.
Sure but I wouldn't make any lists yet as I am far from even maiden let alone to put few kits together unless you guys wanna play with untested kit.

Quick Reply