Jun 18, 2017, 03:53 PM
Youtube: TomRi25
it can be slowed to a stop if there is enough wind

glassing is needed if you belly land on wild grass(not trimmed RC field)
but it can be done with WBPU and 50gram cloth. no need for epoxy.

Mirage RC 2000 hovering in a strong wind (7 min 59 sec)

also RTH is nice addon

Never lose another plane - cheap iNav RTH test in a EDF plane !!! (6 min 35 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2017, 03:27 AM
Well, i maiden-ed my mirage 2000, its using the following:

XPR 14 Blade 90mm edf
2x3s 4000 40c batteries
2x Hitec HS-85BB servos.
Turnigy k-force Opto 6s 150a esc

First flight was awesome, but i felt that it didnt have enough thrust. The planes total weight is 2.3-2.4kg with battery RTF. It did however make and awesome sound as it flew through the air.

2nd flight ended prematurely from launch, my friend launched just right but after 2 meters took a sever dive to the left and nosed in... it was a biscuit break which meant it went back together perfectly. Cant tell its been crashed :P...

On close inspection my left servo aileron was stripped and kept the aileron up and the right one level causing it to crash
... that will teach me to use plastic gear servos... lesson learnt, i replaced the plastic gears with metal gears as hitec provides that. I also balsa'd the ailerons.

I've just completed putting balsa on the ailerons, my only concern is i dont have enough power... any suggestions guys ?
Jun 20, 2017, 03:29 PM
Try CG at 38 cm forward from trailing edge.
And yes you have same setup as me, it is overpowered.

Mirage 2000 RC hand launch and landings! (1 min 6 sec)
Jun 20, 2017, 07:31 PM
so slightly tail heavy ?
Jun 21, 2017, 03:44 AM
it flies better IMHO if I move CG 2cm back, (from 40cm as is suggested)
same speed in air, but much better at slowing down for landing
Sep 06, 2017, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakul1
Oliver, your Mirage video is just beautiful, in so many ways it has inspired me to build a Mirage light as yours. I'm also surprised how nicely you are able to slow it down for landing and high alpha etc. I'm planning to build it light just like you, do you think it is easy to slow down this model for slow high alpha belly landing? Just awesome video man + the music..

Outstanding job!
Thx a lot,...being offline for some time.

Meanwhile I start while holding it with 75-80° and dont push it. Thrust/weight is about 1,5, so it is very easy and it looks much bedder.
High Alpha flying needs little practise. But most important is the CG and rudder limiter. In 3D I fly very small (yes small) rudder, so that the machine cannot stall. Dualrate arround 50%. So I pull full elevator and the machine will follow in high alpha. You need to make the mirage little noseheavy. Tailhavy will make it difficult.

My mirage has zero glassing and no rudder. Weight is most important. Put adhessiv tape on the bottom. I also removed the inner parts of the duct and rebuild them with depron.
Oct 16, 2017, 10:41 PM
Card carrying pensioner
Recently fell into possession of a NIB kit and have some basic questions. They may seem trivial but knowing these kits are no longer available I don't want to destroy it in the first 5 minutes.

1/ Glassing before frame is glued together and all hardware installed ?

2/ Glass fuselage after all hardware is installed, same for the wing. ? I intend to keep the wing removable.

Option 2 does not allow any hardware replacement without major surgery, is this the cost of having a great model ?

The running gear is a Platinum 150A 6S, the EDF and motor I'm not sure but believe these may be from Extremes stable or parts. The model comes to me 3rd hand, I get the feeling the original owner was after speed as the fan shroud appears to be carbon fibre. So rather than glue it all together and watch it disintegrate at 100mph best I approach with longevity in mind.
Appreciate any help, trawled through most of this thread, just couldn't find any glassing methods.
Oct 17, 2017, 12:05 AM
Tezact
Hi CYNR,
FlyFly Mirage kits are still available thru Hobby88 - a good honest Hong Kong shop -
http://www.hobby88.com/shop/index.ph...sort=5a&page=3
I always assemble then glass. You can still have the wing as a removable wing.
The U/c as supplied is pathetic so I have always bungee launched and belly landed - see
I use water based polyurethane (WBPU) by Cabots from Bunnings and 3/4 oz glass cloth. The WBPU is much easier to use than resin

Mirage intercepts bogie (3 min 17 sec)

Its a great flyer. Good luck !
Last edited by tezact; Oct 17, 2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Oct 17, 2017, 12:27 AM
Card carrying pensioner
Awesome tezac, thanks.

So glue then glass, I planned to use 25g cloth with Minwax also a WBPU I use in spray form on my other foamies, any hardware changes will require surgery so best I check out the running gear.
Also planning for retracts, the units from the Durafly Vampire look promising (I have spares ).

The guy I acquired this from was a RAAF Mirage mechanic but no good with foam and electrons (his words), hope I do this justice for him.
Like the vid.
Feb 05, 2018, 04:52 AM
Suspended Account
Gents,

I have just received a few FlyFly models. When they are gone they are gone and not likely to return anytime soon.

I do love the mirage and I'm in the middle of building one now! no landing gear, just belly landing.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mirage-2...t-version.html
Feb 05, 2018, 10:18 PM
what other models did you get..
Feb 06, 2018, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKing_Ian
Gents,

I have just received a few FlyFly models. When they are gone they are gone and not likely to return anytime soon.

I do love the mirage and I'm in the middle of building one now! no landing gear, just belly landing.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mirage-2...t-version.html
Free shipping in US? Very tempting, as my first minimally modified Mirage III flew amazingly well...
Feb 06, 2018, 05:08 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou
what other models did you get..
Mirage, Su29, Sabre and Bae Hawk.

I built the Mirage in the office today so if weather permits I'll be giving that a hiding in the morning. No landing gear so I'll be belly landing her.
Feb 06, 2018, 05:09 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303
Free shipping in US? Very tempting, as my first minimally modified Mirage III flew amazingly well...
Yes Sir! Looks like free shipping is here to stay.
Feb 06, 2018, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKing_Ian
Mirage, Su29, Sabre and Bae Hawk.

I built the Mirage in the office today so if weather permits I'll be giving that a hiding in the morning. No landing gear so I'll be belly landing her.
So are you selling any of them. How much for the BAE?

Quick Reply