This thread is privately moderated by Chris F, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 13, 2008, 11:49 PM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
Build Log

Gws P-40.

Yes I seem to have a love/hate relationship with GWS models. I love that they are so cheap and I hate that they are not more scale. I don't want to harp on about it but GWS could have such beautiful scale models with some slight changes........but. Oh well, with a bit of work they can be made to look even better, and to most they look fantastic anyway so let's have a look at the model and what I am going to do with it.

This seems a lot more scale than the FW-190 and my only real problem is that the exaust stubbs are too far back, an easy fix. Good one GWS! I guess the reason is that the plastic nose piece is in the way of the front exaust stubbs so GWS has moved them back. I plan to move at least one exahst stub (probably two) to the front to put them in the right spot. This is a replacement for the P-51D which was too small for me. I like to use my 3S 2200 mAh lipo packs and they are too heavy for such a small model. The P-40 will be covered with either Silkspan and/or Polyspan (depending on how much of each I have) and WBPU. I have never tried Ployspan but if it works it should be stronger that Silkspan. Thanks for the Polyspan Peter (wolw) .

Here are some pics.
Last edited by Chris F; Dec 06, 2008 at 12:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2008, 03:45 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Hi Chris,

Didn't realise you had got it going in your blog
Too bad you can't subscribe on blogs like in the HC forum.

Looking forward to see your build, I've had my eyes on the P-40 too.

Peter
Jun 29, 2008, 04:13 PM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
I haven't done any more on it since that first post because I have too much work to do these days. I'll hopefully get it out again soon. I'm taking the day off today because of the weather, but I have quotes and invoices to do .
Jul 07, 2008, 09:31 PM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
I have now fitted the wing spar and aileron servos and started covering the wings with the Polyspan that Peter (wolw) sent me. So far I like the Polyspan. I think it will be lighter and hopefully stronger than Silkspan, but it is a little bit harder to work with. Covering foam models like this is tedious but eventually rewarding. I have decided not to spend much time making it perfect as it will be a belly lander and it will get knocked about. So far I have covered the bottom of the right wing so I have a long way to go.

I also weighed the uncovered model at 260 grams. I will weigh it again when I am finished to see what the covering weighs.
Jul 17, 2008, 02:28 AM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
It is now covered!!! I weighed before and after covering and so far it has added 80 grams. I need to sand and paint it with some very light coats of WBPU which I doubt will add any more weight but I will weigh it again when I am finished just to make sure.

I cut the exaust stubs off with a sharp balde and will re-attach them in the right place when I have finished painting the model.

I only used the Polyspan under the wings. It is a lot harder to use than Silkspan, but probably lighter and stronger. I need to try using it again to get the hang of it, but it doesn't stretch like Silkspan when you get to curvy bits. If I get another Formosa II I will try it again as it doesnt have so many fiddly bits.

Here it is so far. Next I will need to strengthen the cowl and make a motor mount. I also want to find a decent spinner for it. The GWS one is made of foam
Jul 17, 2008, 03:28 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
I'm looking forward to try it too, fortunately I have nothing to compare with except ordinary *.kote.

That P-40 looks good

Peter
Jul 25, 2008, 04:08 PM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
I hope to get it ready to fly today even though the weather won't be suitable. Maybe I'll paint it too. I have opened up the battery compartment into the cockpit so I can get the CG without adding weight to the tail. I'm only using a 100 gram motor which seems about right to me Oh well, I hope this one is light enough to fly better than my overweight GWS P-51D.
Last edited by Chris F; Jul 26, 2008 at 12:40 AM.
Jul 25, 2008, 04:28 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
I hope it flies as good as it looks.

Don't need any paint when it looks like that, awesome finish!

Is that the original cowl ?

Nice work Chris !

Peter
Jul 26, 2008, 12:51 AM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
Thanks Peter. The cowl is original but I covered it the same as the rest of the model with Silkspan and WBPU. I also covered the inside for strength. I just ran up the motor with the GWS 9X5X3 prop and a 3S 2500 mAh lipo and got these numbers

Volts - 9.64
Amps - 23.6
Watts - 228
RPM - 9380

It feels like it has plenty of thrust so it should fly OK!

The wind is very light outside, but I doubt I will have the model ready before it gets dark .
Aug 02, 2008, 08:23 AM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
I painted it today. I just need to install the control linkages and it's ready to maiden, hopefully tomorow . I'm a bit dissapointed that I got the star on its right side crooked but it's too late to fix it now
Aug 03, 2008, 01:05 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Very nice

I didn't notice the star until you mentioned it

Looking forward to you maiden.

Peter
Aug 03, 2008, 03:08 AM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
I maidened it this morning. It flew terribly, very tail heavy. Silly me didn't check the precise location of the CG. The instructions had the CG icon placed right on the wing spar so I went to a lot of trouble getting it there. It is located at 15mm from the LE which ends up being more than 10mm from the spar . I crashed it badly three times before sorting it out but it was saved by the long grass and other vegetation. A combination of luck and the extra toughness of the covering and it only needed minor repairs. Once the CG was in the right place it flies very nicely. I still have some sorting out to do but I managed to finish the model and clean the mess on the dining room table. This model is suited to the 2200 mAh 3S packs I have a lot more than the GWS P-51. This along with the Corona Synth Rx's which haven't glitched once and I'll be trying this model at work. This along with my new brushless buggy and work will be much more fun .
Aug 03, 2008, 03:29 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Congratulations

Do you guys really have time to work with all the toys you bring

Peter
Aug 03, 2008, 03:41 AM
The Revegetator
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolw
Congratulations

Do you guys really have time to work with all the toys you bring

Peter
It makes our breaks a lot more fun. Our work can be tedious sometimes and it's nice to look forward to lunch . I even thought the business might be able to pay for these essential relaxation aids, but the Tax Office might not agree .

Quick Reply