Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 23, 2003, 08:45 PM

Dare B-25 Mitchell (conversion)

I decided to post some pics of my limited progress tonight with the hope that I'll get more time in the up coming weeks. Also notice that the subject line says "conversion". Dare claims that this is an RC kit, but there are really no provisions to aid in servo, motor, reciever or control installation in the plans.

OK, well 1st of all... The Dare B-25 is a "laser cut kit" but the plans are completely hand drawn. This most likely means that CAD files were created to provide data for the laser cutter, not for better fitting parts.

The first thing you will notice is that the fuselage is constructed primarily from 3/32" sq. balsa. I have to say that some of the quality of the wood in MY kit has been marginal at best (anything from quite fuzzy to very soft to hard as a rock). The length of the 3/32" sticks are also quite short (18"), so the sticks that run the length of the fuselage have to be spliced. I really don't care to do that so I went to my local craft store and bought some sticks that were long enough to get the job done w/o splicing. The pic shows a fuselage side built over the plans, obviously two are required. In the front the 3/32" sticks are doubled up to provide more nose strength. My point is that this is a builders kit that requires lots of stick cutting, etc.
Last edited by KSU Flyer; Jan 23, 2003 at 09:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2003, 08:54 PM
This next pic shows how the two fuselage sides are to be attached. I sorta have a problem with the way they want you to do things here. On the plans only half of a fuselage top view is provided. This can make alignment of the two sides tricky as you can only pin one side down on top of the top view and the other side is spaced away based on the length of the sticks that separate the two halves. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to have a complete top view so that you can use a right triangle to assure you are building things nice a square. Notice that at this point the fuselage sides are completely parallel. The next step is to bring the front and tail together
Last edited by KSU Flyer; Jan 23, 2003 at 08:59 PM.
Jan 23, 2003, 08:56 PM
This pic shows the tail of the fuselage sides brought together by two more sticks. You can also see from this pic that only half of the top view is provided. At this point you have to take extra care to try to build a fuselage that is square and symetrical. It would be much easier to do if you had a complete top view. (I hope my somewhat sarcastic frustrations concerning the lack of the complete top view is showing now ) To fill in the remainder of the cross sticks I used the formers that are later glued to the top of the fuselage frame as a guide. The instructions really don't suggest a very easy way to do this....
Last edited by KSU Flyer; Jan 23, 2003 at 09:21 PM.
Jan 23, 2003, 08:56 PM
After I got the rear of the fuselage all put together I added the top and bottom formers and then the stringers. This part goes pretty fast. The front of the fuselage to built like a brick @#$% house. The sheeting that you see on the sides is 1/8" balsa. The blocks on the top & bottom are solid and require a good ol knife and sand paper to shape them. This is another one of the kits problem areas and I have contacted them about it. The blocks that are provided in the kit are NOT big enough to start out with so I had to add some to them before I started shaping. I decided to build the version without the "green house" nose so the next step was to glue the laser cut sections to the nose and shape them as well. Welp I hate to say it, but those pieces are not laser cut large enough to start out with either so I went to my craft shop to just purchase another hunk of balsa to carve.

I know that this thread is starting to sound extremely negative and I'm sorry for that. Everything that I've posted is my building experience with this kit so far and I am just trying to be honest. Regardless, I am really excited about completing this model and I hope that things will begin to go together a little easier from here on out...

-Mike
Last edited by KSU Flyer; Jan 23, 2003 at 09:32 PM.
Jan 24, 2003, 12:01 AM
EB-66C Team Member
I see your frustration after paying the kit price. Dare has taken plans meant for an experienced builder and sent them to the laser cutters, then pronounced them an R/C kit.
Taking nothing away from Pat Trittle or Mike Midkiff, for they are very talented designers, but I think Dare has taken advantage of their designs. I realize that the kitting process is expensive, but I have always thouht Dare kits too be overpriced.
I have the exact same plan that you are building from and it cost $7.00. It is on my to build list. The one consolation you have is that since M. Midkiff designed it, it WILL fly well.
I must have a dozen of his plans and have built at least 6 to 8 of them and they are good flyers. Keep at it and you'll have a nice airplane. Good luck.
Jan 24, 2003, 10:09 AM
J Morgan

I believe you 100%! I've actually been in contact with Mike Midkiff and explained to him the problems I've had so he is aware of them. Like I said before, the posts sound negative, but in all actuality I'm very excited about finishing this model. More to come!

-Mike
Jan 24, 2003, 05:40 PM
Leave me alone!
She's looking good so far, Mike! I know the pains of a less-than-perfect kit, but you've stuck it out nicely. Looking at the bright side, the wing should be simple next to the fuselage

Martin
Jan 24, 2003, 06:06 PM
Mr Mootsie
Mike,

You make me sick. You are an absolute building machine. I just got back from another Pentagon trip, and I'll finish up the Bearcat.

How much time do you typically get in a session?

cheers,
tim
Jan 24, 2003, 06:55 PM
Martin

You're right, I must fight the good fight! Anyway, the majority of the stick work is complete (minus the tail feathers), so here we go.

Tim,

Actually I haven't been able to build as much as I'd like to. When I actually sit down to build I like to work no more than 3 hrs at a time, after that I start making dumb mistakes. Keep plugging on that Bearcat, it's gonna be fun!

-Mike
Jan 24, 2003, 07:06 PM

Nose are tease!

My good friends at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo and Michigan Aviation Hall of Fame sent me this nice picture!
Jan 24, 2003, 08:40 PM

Go Get 'Em Mike!

Mike,

Thanks a million for posting your informative, frank comments. Your disciples (like me) really appreciate it. After finishing the Dare Wright Flyer, I thought "It can't get worse than this for instructions"...then I bought the Dare B-25, looked inside and said @#$!%%^!! Now, I've bought the Dare P-26, looked inside and said DOUBLE @#$%%^! Compare this to the Sig Old Timers kits (Antoinette, etc.) at almost half the cost...

Sure am glad we have a pro like you to lead the way, cause us amateurs would never get there without you! Keep posting, buddy.

Joe
Jan 24, 2003, 08:58 PM

Glue?

Hey Mike,
Just noticed on your posted pics--what do you use TiteBond for vs. CA??

Thanks,
Joe
Jan 24, 2003, 09:21 PM
SVX
SVX
That looks great!! Though all those sticks kind of scare me, I never was a super straight builder. Not to derail the thread but did you ever finish and or fly the Corsair? I really would like to see the finished product.
Jan 24, 2003, 09:43 PM

Re: Go Get 'Em Mike!

Joe,

I'm glad you feel my pain! I'm pleased that you viewed my comments as informative/frank as I am in no way a professional kit builder. I'm just putting the stuff out there so people will know what they are up against. So far building has brought forth some nagging issues and simply require extra time to iron out. By the way, you're too kind...Thank you for the comments!

As far as my stand on glue.

First of all I really don't like CA, but there is definitely a place for it. In the picture above you can see a bottle of TiteBond, but what really makes it handy is the syringe (I found them at a craft store) that you can see in the right hand side of the picture. What I do is suck some TiteBond up in the syringe and use it to apply the glue with great precision. It works awesome. I used TiteBond to glue all the sticks for the fuselage sides together as it is impossible to cut all the angles perfect and the glue helps fill the small imperfections. I use CA in areas that require some speed to help in align like when I mated the two fuselage sides. When I'm done I take my syringe and apply a small amount to the joints.
Jan 24, 2003, 09:45 PM
SVX,

I hear ya, the sticks scare me too.

Do a search on the Herr Engineering Corsair and you can read all about it! There is also a link to some flight video. Enjoy.

-Mike