Jun 11, 2008, 10:47 AM
I fly ghetto stuff.
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Toy blades on a Lama V3... [SUCCESS!!!] [NOW WITH VIDEO] :D

I thought I'd just share... so I bought a couple of those toy rubber-band helicopters (hey, for 1 euro each, that isn't really much of a setback!) since they came with some blades of roughly the same size (not shape) with the Lama's blades. They are made of green transparent plastic, almost the same consistency as the Xtreme blades, and each 1-Euro heli come with 3 of them.

Anyway, I filed and hacked at a pair of them until I obtained a workable shape/attachment, and replaced the upper pair of Xtreme blades with my masterpieces.

To my surprise they were exceptionally balanced and caused even less shaking than the Xtreme blades...however they didn't produce any lift even at full throttle

The problem seems to be in their airfoil profile, which is a heavily flat and symmetrical while the blades weigh more or less as much as the Xtreme ones. I'll try lathing them into a better airfoil shape and keep you informed.
Last edited by Velktron; Jun 11, 2008 at 03:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2008, 11:44 AM
I fly ghetto stuff.
Thread OP
UPDATE: I used a lighter to curve the blades' grips as to increase the pitch of the blades (the first at a random "OK-ish" angle, the second as close as possible to the first one), and it WORKED! I had to dial out a heavy CCW yawing with the gyro and gain though.

The heli is stable and responsive as with the normal Xtreme blades, however flight times are considerably shortened, perhaps due to the gyro working overtime. Again, it's remarkable how the blades are remarkably balanced even after such an admittedly crude hack job.

Now, the next step will be making lower blades as well....it will be hard because the toy blades are designed for CCW operation, so I will have to lathe, drill and curve at the opposite edge.
Last edited by Velktron; Jun 11, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Jun 11, 2008, 03:34 PM
I fly ghetto stuff.
Thread OP
Am I hearing "Video or it didn't happen" ?

Here ya go :-p

Ghettocopter: Lama V3 with toy blades! (1 min 49 sec)
Jun 17, 2008, 08:03 AM
I fly ghetto stuff.
Thread OP
Now the toy blades/ghetto mod is complete:

Read all about it in my blog, with video:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880816

Ghettocopter 2: Lama V3 with toy blades! (2 min 43 sec)

A tribute to the Lama's moddability and stability ;-)

Quick Reply