Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Sep 25, 2012, 12:29 PM
making my own planes...
decones's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Hey on the subject of foam- has anyone tried spray painting the bare cores before gooping/ taping/ laminating etc? Does the covering still stick?
Cheers
Josh
YES!
some years ago I did myself a vacum bagged speed wing, I used standart cheap foam cutted on CNC machine, glued both sides, spar, etc...then I spray some paint on it, let it cure and then vacum bag, I also put some sild draw using Ferrari logo
The fiber cloth got good attach on foam even after the paint and the finishing looks very good for a home made toy

Cheers,
André
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Registered User
rockbus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Hey on the subject of foam- has anyone tried spray painting the bare cores before gooping/ taping/ laminating etc? Does the covering still stick?
Cheers
Josh
I painted the cores of my RIP HP-60 with enamel rattle can paint then covered with NS. Worked OK. The fiinish OK from 15 ft away.
Sep 25, 2012, 04:46 PM
608 km/h!
josh18's Avatar
Thanks guys, its for a light build moth. I just wanted a few fluro highlights under the laminating film. I'll experiment on some scraps and make sure it works with this paint.
Cheers fellas
Sep 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
Registered User
rockbus's Avatar
My moth weighs in @ 19 oz fuse is taped and gooped Wing is white ultracote and covered with 5 mil NS with an extra layer over the le back to the spar. It's very clean and smooth. The NS disappears over light colors.
Sep 27, 2012, 12:37 AM
Crash course in crashing
Aerogance's Avatar
I plan to paint the cores of the Bee I am building, but I will do the goop / spackle / goop routine to smooth things.
Sep 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
Registered User
Crash Prone's Avatar
Put the paint down very lightly or it will eat foam. Let dry a day before covering. Flouro really pops on white foam!
Feb 07, 2017, 09:25 AM
Crash course in crashing
Aerogance's Avatar
Incredible builds in this thread, not sure why it went flatline..
Feb 07, 2017, 05:28 PM
Is it DS'able?
wr_mizzard's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
Incredible builds in this thread, not sure why it went flatline..
That's funny that you commented on this thread as I was planning on posting a video from this weekend to revive it. I agree... there's not enough DS junky action these days (like, not in five years).

It has been a while since I got out on the slope, let alone DS'd, and I found the perfect window between storms at one of my favorite DS spots I've ever been. It's about a 2.5 mile hike to get there but totally worth the effort. I flew the NCFM Half-Bad for a while to warm up the thumbs and then threw out the Typhoon 2M with a little ballast. I even made it back to the car right before the rain started!

East Bay DS (3 min 2 sec)


-James
who brought home all his planes in one piece
Feb 07, 2017, 05:44 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Jantar2A's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard View Post
That's funny that you commented on this thread as I was planning on posting a video from this weekend to revive it. I agree... there's not enough DS junky action these days (like, not in five years).

It has been a while since I got out on the slope, let alone DS'd, and I found the perfect window between storms at one of my favorite DS spots I've ever been. It's about a 2.5 mile hike to get there but totally worth the effort. I flew the NCFM Half-Bad for a while to warm up the thumbs and then threw out the Typhoon 2M with a little ballast. I even made it back to the car right before the rain started!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pSB2z5qF10

-James
who brought home all his planes in one piece
What a Nice spot, I wish I had a site like that here in Colorado.

Nick
Feb 07, 2017, 07:25 PM
Crash course in crashing
Aerogance's Avatar
That looked so fun! Perfect crash .. er .. landing zone too. Nice colors on the Halfbad.
Feb 07, 2017, 11:34 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
1000MPH's Avatar
What a nice spot. NCFM is selling the 1/2bad now? Cool.
Feb 08, 2017, 12:16 AM
Registered User
Glad to see you back at it James.

That Shell Ridge?
You'll have to share that spot with me sometime. Looks great.

Scott
Feb 08, 2017, 12:11 PM
Registered User
Beautiful footage. Love the greenery that the rains have brought. I like the whole hike and fly thing. I was talking with Spencer on the phone and he wonders how many unexplored, maybe even record breaking, DS slopes are in Norcal. I know of two (one is non DS) great slopes in the hills of the town I live in that are both on private property. Luckily, one is on adjoining property of mine that I have free use of and the other is on a friend's ranch who is now glider crazy. They are the best two sites I know of within an hours drive of me and I have access to both. The biggest problem in Norcal is many the great hills have damn trees on them. Here are a couple pictures of the private (you're all welcome to come fly) slopes. Spencer knows of a great slope around Truckee. There must best some wicked DS spots in the Sierras (albeit with savage LZs).
Feb 08, 2017, 02:56 PM
Crash course in crashing
Aerogance's Avatar
I live near grassy hills but lack wind, you guys appear to have both grass and wind. That is great! Next trip up the coast I need to toss some planes in the car.
Feb 08, 2017, 04:34 PM
Registered User
Unfortunately a lot of it is behind barbed wire. Lots of private land.

Definately bring some planes next trip up this way.


Thread Tools