Jan 23, 2003, 10:44 AM
Thread OP

An Apology.......(or why you should not bite off more than you can chew)

If you have read the recent article on the 2002 Toledo Weak Signals show, you see mention of how another volunteer was to write the article and was unable to do so. I must admit that the volunteer was I.

There were a few different things that contributed to my not being able to live up to my offer, but I do feel that if I had perhaps worked harder on it, I could have gotten the article in. The most significant thing was that I simply took on too much and got lazy. I apologize for the latter and have learned from the former. However I feel like I need to explain myself to the Ezone and Steve Horney for having to write an article that he should never had to write.

With the passing of my Dad in late 2001, my Mom has been left with a lot of loose ends to tie up and needed some support and help to get established on her own. In addition, I was involved in a couple of court cases that I felt I had to initiate. I am a single dad and our son lives with me and we were really getting jerked around by his mother. I had hearings several times over the year and all the prepatory work took a lot of my free time. That and about a thousand hours of overtime starting new programs with new customers at my day job.

It was a great show and I hope to be able to attend this year again, but it's doubtful that I will offer to write any articles on the event. It takes a lot of work to put together an article of this type, more than I realized. It can also take the fun out of an event. So for those of you with high ambitions on writing articles of this type, be sure you have the time to commit. Don't make the same mistake that I made.

Steve McBride
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2003, 11:59 AM
Pres. Uff-Da Air

Guts and class

Steve: It takes a lot of guts and shows a lot of class to hang out your apologies and discuss your problems in an open forum.
You have pointed out a lesson to all of us and I hope more will listen and use your mistakes to guide them.
I'm one of those people who believe that with each mistake a man becomes more valuable because the lessons come hard and won't be forgotten. So stay with us and may your future be brighter and easier. Uff-Da Pete
Jan 23, 2003, 12:07 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Steve

Things have a way of piling up sometimes. You've done a great thing here, and you've also been a real asset to the E Zone and us, it's members. I don't see how anyone could hold this against you. My condolances for your Dad, and I sincerely hope your personal life smooths out soon.

Al
Jan 23, 2003, 12:10 PM
Long-Time Member
Steve hit it right on the nose. Such a review with lots of objects, as opposed to a review of just one model, takes a helluva lot of work. I repeat, a lot! I know. My Aspach review is also very late, but it's due to health problems that have kept me very limited in my freetime activities. For many weeks, I could only type with one finger and see with one eye! And to boot, I'm also pursuing a court case. It's really tough to keep your mind open and focused on "fun." (I've also had a nearly finished model sitting on a chair since last April that needs finishing!)

But, yeah, we authors DO have time to kick back and relax, like flying models, watching T.V., or just staring into space to let gamma rays sift through our mind and reflect on the sequence of events from Monday to Friday. It's called "down time." And everyone needs it. And, although we do it for the love of it, putting together some reviews is like wrestling a bear. It's tough. There are often a lot of loose ends, too.

An event review is time-consuming and often requires follow-ups before publishing—at least I do this to make sure my information is accurate. I have phone numbers of every modeler I interview or whose plane I photograph. (And still, I sometimes may report one or two things slightly incorrect.) I've easily spent over 150 hours—yes, that's right, ONE-HUNDRED FIFTY HOURS—of my free time since early October writing, cropping, editing, confirming, cropping, tweaking, writing, proof-reading, rewriting, etc., ect., my Aspach review. That's lots of midnight to 4-AM oil. It's basically finished and COMING SOON. Two parts, lots of scale models, plenty of cool EDFs, additional background texts on many models, and 25 thirty- to sixty-second video clips—now there was a lot of editing.

Don't feel bad Steve. You're not alone. When I read Steve H.'s (aka, Your) review, I easily understood it wasn't because of some deliquent author. Personal lives and well-being are a priority affair.
Last edited by James Frolik; Jan 23, 2003 at 12:18 PM.
Jan 23, 2003, 12:16 PM
BANNED!!!
Key words are FREE time. Volunteer actions naturally fall to the way side when required actions take precidence.

We all understand....

j
Jan 23, 2003, 12:23 PM
Steve,

There is no need for an apology. You have made some nice contributions to the E-Zone, and for those, I am grateful.

Sometimes when you are dealing with major life issues, it is hard to be motivated to do more work in the precious few moments of downtime you may have.

Dave
Jan 23, 2003, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Wow - I didn't expect really any response, but you guys have really put my mind at ease. As I explained to someone in a private message, I felt that I had let down Dave Lilley the most as he really needed the article. I can't imagine how he manages to do what he does.

Thansk you all for the comments.

Steve
Jan 23, 2003, 12:36 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Sounds like a tough year, Steve. I've been there with the ex. Hope things smooth out and this year is much better for you.

Good luck,

Chuck
Jan 23, 2003, 12:57 PM

spare time?

hey man, been there, done that with the dad,mom problem. things do get better. i'm a fairly new one to these ranks, but see from archives ,etc what you have done for and with the hobby. much appreciated,as i am a nebbie to electrics, i've been flying RC since 1961, not full time, but keeping fairly to date through mags, etc. this forum truly makes the knowledge factor a much easier thing . my personal thanks to you and all who do this job, much appreciated. keep up the good work,family first above all! frank l jr.
Jan 23, 2003, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve McBride
I can't imagine how he manages to do what he does.
Fear.

Of me.

BWUHUUUHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!

Jim
Latest blog entry: Check in
Jan 23, 2003, 01:27 PM
Time for me to Fly...
If this type of thing happens again people here at the E-zone might be able to help out a little. For instance, the big MaxCim powered B25 was built by a member of my club, Dave Coryell. I could have asked him for details. Maybe others could have helped in other ways......it's just a thought.

BTW, I'm with the others.....Life can be that way sometimes. It ain't fun but we've all been there at one time or another.

Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Jan 23, 2003 at 04:28 PM.
Jan 23, 2003, 01:44 PM
Balsa Flies Better!

I think your priorities are in the right place....

Steve

A bunch of kids playing with toys should take a backseat to what are obviously pressing issues- no need for an apology. It's impressive to see that you feel that comfortable with this online community to share what you did. You certainly have my sympathies and support.

Sam
Jan 23, 2003, 01:45 PM
Get One Up!!!
Steve

As Lloyd said it takes a great deal of class, guts and self awareness to have started this thread.

It is a lot of work to put together a piece that you yourself are happy with and sometimes circumstances conspire to make that even more difficult or impossible. As the guys have said above sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day and something has to give- by making sure that it wasn't your family then you did the right thing.

Best of luck for the future and hope things run more smoothly for you from now on.

Brian
Jan 23, 2003, 01:53 PM
No problemo at all mon!! If you hadn't fessed up we wouldn't have known about it!! Life has a way of throwing curve balls sometimes, your major priorities are in order and than's the most importaint part.
Don
Jan 24, 2003, 12:16 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
What they said

Matthew

Quick Reply