Jun 09, 2008, 02:35 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Build Log

Scratchbuilt J-3 Kitten

Well, if I don't get mocked this time for considering an airplane "micro" (cause micro to me is like 20" ) I am going to start this build log of me scratchbuilding a J-3 Kitten Ultralight. I am putting it here because its more of a FF model and even though its wingspan is rather large, 31" , it could be considered an indoor flier as its going to come out really light. I hope. So, I'm off to build the fuselage frames and I'll be back in a bit with pictures.

Eric
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2008, 03:35 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Ok, one side of the fuselage is framed up. Here's the pic of that, and the other is my electronics. Whoops, forgot the battery I guess, but thats going to be a 250mah 2S Lipo, little square thing, you know. So, what you see is a AR6100 rx without the case, two bluebird servos (I think) and a castle esc with a short can 12mm Fiego brushless motor, and a 7in GWS prop. And the radio is, obviously, a DX6i. Love that radio.

Eric
Jun 09, 2008, 04:34 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
I finished the vertical stabilizer now, next up will be the other side of the fuselage. Pics in a bit.

Eric
Jun 09, 2008, 05:46 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Hmmm... this is the second Fiego motor that has caused me a problem. What happens is the three wires from the motor nearly break at the point where they come out. A month ago, I had to throw out one of my brushless Fiego motors because one of the wires broke off right inside the motor. I tried fixing it but there were too many wires inside and I had to scrap it. I love these motors, but their wires are just poorly reinforced as they come out of the motor. This time, I just noticed it and it still works... its just about to break so I coated it all around with JB weld. I am hoping that that will hold it so it cannot flex and break. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Eric
Jun 09, 2008, 06:36 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Ok, here are the pics of whats done so far. I notice there are a lot of views but no comments.

Eric
Jun 09, 2008, 08:28 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
And... here is the latest progress.

Eric
Jun 09, 2008, 09:51 PM
Looks good. Did you make those tires your self? I'm building a 16" piper cub and I'm trying to make my own wheels.
Jun 09, 2008, 09:55 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
No, actually I didn't. They are Trexler balloon tires. Trexler Website

Eric
Jun 09, 2008, 11:08 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Well, here's what I have so far. I nearly freaked out and the project was almost scrapped when I had the motor so nicely mounted, and then I tried to run it, and it would go. It flipped back and forth and then died. I thought I was done for. JB welding the wires must not have worked, I thought. Fortunately that little trick worked amazingly well, the problem was in fact the screws bolting the motor on. They were too long and went too far into the motor, and once I put some washers under the screws, it ran quite nicely. This is looking really really good, weight wise, its strait, and its just the perfect size, IMO. Little bit for some of you guys I'm sure.

The AUW in the pics below reads as ~2oz or ~60g. It fluctuates a bit but its +or- 1g or 1/8oz. Thats all the electronics but the battery, airframe, and wheels. All thats left is the wings, tail feathers, covering, and the battery. I am pleased.

Eric
Jun 09, 2008, 11:25 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Only one comment!?! Am I just overrating my project or is this just as dull as it seems?

1000 Posts!!!

Eric
Jun 09, 2008, 11:33 PM
RC Connectors dot com

Keep going

Keep 'em coming, Eric.

I know how you feel. I spent hours on my Gym-E log and it seems like nobody cares. Hopefully there's 10 folks reading per one responding.

I'll speak up here publicly and say I'm looking forward to reading more about your build.

Glenn
Jun 09, 2008, 11:46 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Cool! Well, I'll keep em coming whether people comment or not, I was just wondering.

A lot of views in the last couple hours, surprisingly so, but no comments. Just weird.

Eric
Jun 10, 2008, 12:03 AM
it looks really nice, but where did you get the plans?
Jun 10, 2008, 12:30 AM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
I blew them up from an old FF plan. I think it might be Peck Polymers, not sure though. The original was 24" and this one is 31" approximately 130%.

Eric
Jun 10, 2008, 01:04 AM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Right off the building board. I'm about done for tonight. One day, and all this accomplished. I'm happy.

Eric

Quick Reply