Jun 06, 2008, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mills Twin Engine Video

Hi guys, I went to see my dad the other night and he was just finishing off 3 Mills twin engines he had been making.

I had my video camera in the car so ran out to get it, heres a little video I tokk, hope you enjoy it.

DerekGilesMillsTwin (3 min 10 sec)

Thanks
jiffy
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2008, 05:04 PM
Beautiful stuff. So what will get built for it/them?
Jun 07, 2008, 04:09 AM
Thread OP
Well this is the problem, I'm not sure if I will get one or not, he only made three of them for his good friends, I no two of them are already spoken for which leaves one for me MAYBE I've given him loads of hints and its m birthday coming up soon.

Maybe we could ask Mr Smeed to design a model for them you never know.

Glad you liked the video Gossie, makes it worth doing

Thanks
Jiffy
Jun 07, 2008, 06:44 AM
Brilliant stuff. AND throttles too. With that off tune idle sound, they have to be candidates for a nice WWI type fighter bird..
Jun 08, 2008, 03:08 PM
Superb..and an excellent diesel flick too!! I lost my genuine mills .75 on a free flighter many years ago and now that the years have rolled by I often think of another. Thanks for sharing the video I think that there was a tear in my eye.
Chris UK.
Jun 09, 2008, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
Ya you cant beat the Mills .75.

The good news is, the old man called me last night and told me he might sort me a Mills Twin 1.5, so needing to think what model to build for it

I was thinking of a Junior 60, but more like a Junior 50, Down size it a little, what do you think?
Jun 09, 2008, 11:30 AM
Jiffy, How about a 3/4 size Super 60. AMI published the plan a few years ago. It was designed by Boddo and some of the early models flew with Mills 1.3's. I think the plan is available through AMI.
Not truly vintage I know but a proven flier on both single and r/e.
All the best.....Chris.
Jan 30, 2009, 12:43 PM
Closed Account

Twin Mills engine - suitable model.

There is of course only one model to make for the Mills Twin cylinder engine and that is the one-and-a-half times scale-up of the Tomboy. Think of the beautiful philosophy behind this pairing. The original Tomboy was designed by the great Vic Smeed for the Mills 75 diesel. It was 36 inches span. Now, a twin cylinder version of the Mills will not be twice as powerful but about one and a half times, due to volumetric, mechanical and fuel vapourising issues. So the larger scaled-up model is 48 inches span - perfect.

That model is now called the 'Tomboy Senior' and a part-kit is available for 24 from www.belairkits.com and if you buy the available back-issue for May 2008 from www.modelflyermagazine.com there is a free plan of the model which you will need to complete the part-kit. You can use 3 tiny servos, held together with double-sided sticky foam pads. Try to retain the single wire undercart for correct appearance sake and use a 35mm translucent nylon film cannister as a tank. It looks like it was specially made for the Mills.

I can hardly wait to try and have my own Mills Twin shortly and hear that new sound of a burbling twin diesel that up to now only a Saito could provide!

Harry Lime.
Jan 30, 2009, 05:30 PM

A Twin Cylinder Mills

Absolutely Wonderful! How Much?
Jan 30, 2009, 06:06 PM
I think a Veron Deacon would be a stylish choice...
Jan 30, 2009, 06:38 PM
**** 37130 ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
Absolutely Wonderful! How Much?
Priceless!

Quick Reply