This thread is privately moderated by 356Jim, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 04, 2008, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Blog Update for Early June

Jeezy, peezy, I just realized that I haven't posted to my blog since April 15th, Tax Day. Not because I'm lazy, but because I've been busy. Busy makin' and flyin' indoor planes. I bought a Bill Lowe Mini Ghost kit (not yet built) a while back, and Bill included, gratis, a kit for his indoor Slow Flier that uses the Parkzone Minium brick and motor. What a really nice and slow indoor flier it is. I have received many compliments from my flying friends whenever I fly it at the gym on Mondays and Wednesdays - it is a very slow, graceful and relaxing plane. Also, I have built a little Flying Flea (Pou de Ciel) from Greg Bacon at Junkyard R/C. I had a devil of a time getting it to fly initially, using AeroSoarer gear, but it just flat was underpowered. But Greg sent me a couple of his soda can metal props and that was the trick!! The plane (all of his kits) are made from sliced blue foam and other bits, and use either Aero Soarer or similar RTF gear.

Today at the gym, Dr. Marty Nation showed up with some v-e-e-r-y light weight EPS foam used as packing material for some shelving units his building received, offering some small planks to us. I took a piece and brought it home, measured and weighed it and calculated a - get this - 0.345 pound per cubic foot density (Yes, you read that right!!). The lightest EPS foam I had encountered previously was on the order of 0.5 #/ft.^3 !! The run of the mill stuff is usually around 1 pound per cu. ft.

OK, back to building. In the build queue, I have the following planes:

1. The aforementioned Bill Lowe Mini Ghost, a 14" indoor 3D-capable plane replete with a Plantraco servo RX, and Sharlack 1.2 gm servos
2. The Junkyard R/C Demoiselle - with a 6 mm geared pager and actuator
3. A slimmed down, scaled down Billy Stiltner Square9 that will be a Square6.5 !!! It will use a Didel IR 2 ch RX and 125 ohm actuator on a very thinly sliced foam airframe.
4. Of course, I can't completely ignore my outdoor planes, so I have to finish my EDF MiG-15, my Multiplex Twister EDF and my latest pattern plane, the 3D HobbyShop Aspera.

Oh, and I should be doing yard work, household fixit chores, etc., etc. When will it all end?
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply