Jan 21, 2003, 11:30 PM

Introducing the WASP - 25.5" Parkflyer

Lately I've been bitten by the simplicity bug. I've been experimenting with designs that try to minimize the number of parts that need to be fabricated to produce a model plane. The first 2 were foam, some of you might have seen pictures I posted of them here on Ezone. I thought I'd do wood this time and design something that would be quick to build, an intermediate aileron trainer type plane capable of a few aerobatics and use equipment that someone might have from their first plane like pico-stick, tiger moth, etc. This is what I've come up with, the WASP. I've had 8 flights with it so far and everyone gets better and better the more I get use to it. It has been really cold and windy here but the WASP seams to handle both of them well, better than me I think, my hands are still a little numb from the cold....

D
Last edited by d_trafalgar; Jan 22, 2003 at 12:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2003, 11:31 PM
Jan 21, 2003, 11:33 PM
And the real thing.....
Jan 22, 2003, 04:30 AM
d_trafalger

I like your inverted T section fuselage. Simple and stronger than a normal profile fuselage.

Ken
Jan 22, 2003, 05:23 AM
Cool plane! How are the flights and some specs please!
Don
Jan 22, 2003, 05:45 AM
Looks great! How about uploading the plans so we can alll have a go at one?
Jan 22, 2003, 06:53 AM
d_trafalger,

Plans, plans, plans!!

The plane looks great and I can only imagine how it's fly. Also looks like you could easily change wings if you wanted.

I love the simplicity!!

Ron
Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 AM
Ken: Thanks, the bottom plate that makes up the T-section is also multi-functional. Not only does it give the fuselage strength it also is the motor mount, battery holder, and landing gear mount.

Spec's:

Wings Span: 25.5"
Wing area: 146 sq.in.
Length: 24.375"
Power: GWS IPS-A, 9 x 7 prop., 7 cell 250AAA.
AUW as pictured (less batteries): 147 grams.
I made no real effort when building it to save weight. I covered it with Solarfilm and painted the fuse with Liquitex Acrylic. I'm sure some of you hardcore builders could get another 1/2 ounce off....

It's fast. As fast as my Zero I think, maybe faster. The rolls are a little sloppy, due to the pendulous moment of the batteries I think or maybe it's just my bad flying..... I actually wanted some stability from the pack, I'm aiming for a small intermediate flying plane.

You could change wings easily if you wanted to replace a damaged one for example. Keep in mind though, there is a lot of detail in the interface between the wing and the fuse that you can't see. This wing is strong. I wanted it to be tuff. It could have made it lighter but thats the trade-off fo strength.

I'm kitting this one, working out the Laser cutting now. I'm aiming to sell it for around $30us. I'd like to get a couple of people to do some beta testing ounce I get the laser cutting worked out. It would mean a FREE kit...... Email me if your interested.

Thanks,
D
Last edited by d_trafalgar; Jan 22, 2003 at 09:25 AM.
Jan 22, 2003, 08:49 AM
Would love to help with a beta build. If not put me on the list for a kit. PM'ed you.

Ron Randle

rrandle@wwladv.com
Jan 22, 2003, 08:52 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Sweet! That would make a nice addition to my backyard squadron! Have you tried knife-edge with it? Might require a little more power than a DX could provide, but it looks within reach with that design. Very nice work!
Jan 22, 2003, 09:24 AM
HAWK3Y3

Beta Tester

I would love to be a Beta Tester. I currently have a spare DXA drive, ESC, and radio gear sitting NEW IN THE BOX. If not, I would love to have a kit. Email address: GARDIPEE@EXCITE.COM.
Jan 22, 2003, 09:24 AM
I just had flight number 9. After 2 windy weeks it's finally calm.
I change my mind about the roll, it can roll better than previously thought...maybe my flying has improved..... I'd say it rolls similar to my Zero.

Tres: No knife edge with this version, no rudder. But I allowed
for that upgrade in the design. I think your right about the DX, any suggestions for an alternative? I'd like to allow for it in
the design.

Thanks,
D
Jan 22, 2003, 09:37 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
D-

A DX/EDF hybrid is worth considering. I don't know if you've followed all of our hybrid threads, but a hybrid gives considerably better performance that a stock DX and it doesn't weigh anymore. I've had a lot of fun flying hybrids on various planes with Kokam li-polys. The one disadvantage is motor life, I typically get about 3 hours of flight time off a motor. For your plane, a suitable hybrid would be a DX-D/EDF with 9x7 prop. If you want me to beta test (sent you a PM earlier), I'll be happy to try out some hybrid combos and let you know how it goes. Oh, the hybrid wouldn't require any mods to the kit either since it's a DX gearbox.

The other power option that would make it a screamer is an Astroflight 010 in a GWS gearbox. I've been running them on 24" planes with 3 cell li-polys and the performance is outstanding. Strong vertical and plenty of power to execute complicated maneuvers. The disadvantage to this setup is cost.

==No knife edge with this version, no rudder. But I allowed
for that upgrade in the design. ==

I think the rudder would make it an interesting small area flyer with some 3-D possibilities. Definitely worth exploring!
Jan 22, 2003, 09:40 AM
End User
Your 3d files are nice!
Is the design easy to build?

If really want simplicity, you could greatly enhance the wing and otherconstruction by slotting everything and turning the two spars into a single upright "keel". Like the miniflash, it builds in your lap with the greatest of ease!

here's an example:

http://www.ianlabs.com/misc/minicub/wingplan.pdf
Jan 22, 2003, 10:11 AM
The nice thing about solid modeling your designs is that you can predict where your CG is going to be. If I could only model thin plastic film and paint .......

Being simple to make was always on my mind when designing this plane. I tried to put all the complexity into the pieces and
let them do the work as opposed to the builder. The wing didn't build in my lap but I didn't build in over the plans either, haven't printed any yet.

Tres: I'll search for the DX/EDF hybrid threads. Thanks.

The rudder is a simple as enlarging the hole above the elevator servo, splitting the vertical stab and adding linkages. I was worried about weight first before maneuverability...

D
Last edited by d_trafalgar; Jan 22, 2003 at 10:16 AM.