Jan 21, 2003, 08:54 PM
Thread OP

Bubble Dancer, sort of, for 7-cell LMR

Looking to build a bigger wing for my 7-cell LMR plane, an Art Hobby Castor.

Have a set of ribs from Laser Arts for a Bubble Dancer and some of the plans that a friend got off a website.

Since I don't need the ultimate wing strength of a winch launched plane I'm looking to simplify the construction. The laser cut bits seem to include the shear web pieces, about 3/16" thick.

I wonder if hardwood spars, maybe 3/8" x 1/8", would replace the carbon spars of the original ??????? and still be strong enough ??????

If I can still get 1000' on launch I should be able to see it easily and it'll glide 'for ever' or at least 15 minutes.

Have a Castor fuse with the Bubble Dancer type of tail arrangement and flown it with another 3m wing, need more time with it to trim it out but the idea seems promising. Philip
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2003, 09:25 PM
Ascended Master
I built one of Mark's Allegro-Lites with e-power, and didn't use the full-strength construction.
1/8"x3/8" spruce spars, tapered to 1/8"x1/4" at the first break. Full width shear webs about 1/2 way out each semi-span of the first panels, then less width down to 1/16" at the break.. and 1/16" for the outer panels.
I won't be flying it as aggressively as Mark flies, so I feel comfortable with these mods.
Jan 21, 2003, 09:31 PM
My 105" ETyphoon has 1/4" X 1/8" spruce spars and 1/8" vert grain shear webs with D tube construction in the 44" center section. It weighs 52 oz now and has survived everything that happened in one full season of flying. I think what you are proposing should work fine.

Mike
Jan 22, 2003, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the positive responses.

Looks like I'd better get building, at least after I get the 3 contests on the next 3 weekends out of the way.

Aiming for the CASL F5J in October

Philip

Quick Reply