Jun 02, 2008, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bp A2208-14

i bought a a2208-14 for an e-flite 3d plane. it should be plenty of power for good 3d. But... i have two batteries i hope to use, a thunder power 3s 480Mah rated at 15c and a thunder power 3s 730Mah rated at 13c. I don't think i will be pulling too many amps from the batteries, but i want to make sure. Oh, and i'm using a GWS 8x4 prop.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2008, 11:30 PM
willfly4$
a bp/suppo 2208-17 would have been "your best bet" for 3d on 3s cells, but here are some numbers for your existing motor :
APC 8 X 3.8 SF draws about 11A on a 3S pack
APC 10 X 4.7 draws about 9.5A on a 2S pack
APC 11 X 4.7 draws about 10.5A on a 2S pack

so if you are gonna use this motor with a gws 8x4sf then you can use your 730 3s 13, but only with bursts of full throttle according to the above numbers. i wouldnt ruin a good thunder power over a cheap motor, i like those featherlite batts!!

i have a 2208-17 i fly a amos 3d foamy with it, i used a 10x3.8 apc sf cut down to 9" and pulled 13 amps, it was good 3d for sure but i ended up cutting the prop to basically a 8x3.8 (cut some of the cord of the prop as well) and now pull exactly 10 amps.

these motors are really cool for as cheap as you can get them, if you do make the switch do yourself a favor and order from dave at this link http://www.lightflightrc.com/HTML/pr...8-17%2B18A.htm you will get an esc as well!! and dave is very responsive and helpfull ive order several things from his site
Jun 04, 2008, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
hm. thanks. the only difference between those motors is the KV right? what would be the difference in flight besides being able to swing a larger prop and slow flight speeds?
Jun 04, 2008, 01:35 PM
Thread OP
oh yeah... i got a differenct battery for it.. an cellpro 3s 750Mah that can do 20C... that should work better. I've been meaning to try a cellpro battery. It's a little heavier but i'll live
Jun 04, 2008, 02:05 PM
willfly4$
yeah its just the kv that's different, usually a larger diameter low pitch prop will 3d better, it gives you more propwash over the tail surfaces and just as important, over the inboard of the ailerons, when compared to a smaller diameter prop, in any case please don't let me insult your or anybody elses intelligence. don't get me wrong every plane is different, but in two years with these foamies I've found that for 3d its easier with at least a 9inch prop. your new battery should be just fine with your motor, let us know how it goes

ps: since I cut my prop down to about 8 1/4 inches its a little harder to keep the plane from torqing in a hover (decreased aileron effectiveness) other than that it flies fine!
Jun 04, 2008, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
trust me, i'm not gonna get insulted. You have years of experience more than me and i'll take any info i can get... i also bought a 9 inch prop, might try that too, it should only pull about 12-13 amps acording to motocalc. i'll let you know.

Quick Reply