Jun 01, 2008, 08:44 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP
Build Log

Airwave Aerospace Slow Stick (New Video Added)

I am new to this forum and to ERC in general. I have been flying a stock SS with an E-flite 370 outrunner with wings braced with carbon fiber tubes.

I decided to do a build thread on my first aileron airplane. Before I start I would like to say THANKS to two people in particular Bill Nulik a long time friend who I enjoy sharing this hobby with and Craig Thompson! Bill and Craig have both spent a lot of time helping me along the way. Craig told me that you are always farther along than someone just getting started in the hobby and you can always help them out with the knowledge you have gained. After giving it some thought I decided maybe if I post a few words along with a few pictures I might provide something of value for someone that might be a couple of steps behind me.

So let’s get started. I choose the MILLENNIUM RC Slow Stick X™ ARF for this build. This kit is available pre-covered in your choice of transparent red or transparent yellow or it can also be ordered uncovered. I choose the uncovered version of the kit. In addition the wing comes in several other configurations if you care to build the wing from the ground up. I would recommend checking out the MILLENNIUM RC WEBSITE for a look at all of the possible configuations. The kit is doubled boxed when shipped and the inner box that houses all the goodies is packed very well. I have actually purchased two of these kits and both arrived in the manner described above. The first wing did have a rib that was slightly cracked but was easily super glued back in place. Below are a few pictures of the kit.
Last edited by MWeaver; Nov 14, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2008, 09:04 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP

Build Log - Airwave Aerospace Slow Stick

For the powerplant on this project I decided to use the JustGoFly 450TH motor coupled with the JustGoFly 3:89:1 blue anodized gear box. The motor along with the gearbox have proven to provide lots of pulling power especially for AP airplanes.

I choose the Castle Creations Phoenix-45 ESC mainly for the ability to program the unit from your computer. It sure takes the quesswork out of setting up the user selected parameters for the ESC.
Last edited by MWeaver; Jun 01, 2008 at 11:21 PM.
Jun 01, 2008, 09:50 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP

The fuselage used in this build is the stock SS fiberglass square tubing. The Millennium RC SSX kit was delivered with the aluminum square tubing however I prefer the fiberglass over the aluminum.

I used a technique that Craig uses on his AP planes for build up of the fuselage. By inserting a piece of hardwood available from Lowe’s or Home Depot you strengthen the stock tubing whether or not you are utilizing the fiberglass or the aluminum tubing. In addition it provides a means to screw the various items in place such as battery trays, motor mounts, servo trays, etc.

The square hardwood will need to be sanded down to fit the inside dimension of the tubing. I set up a little jig on my sander to help keep the finished product uniform. I recommend if using this method that you don't try and remove all of the material at once. The sanding drum will tend to grab the material and pull it out of your hand. I feed the material in the direction of rotation and then pulled the stick back towards me which removed the majority of the material. This method worked very well. I would also recommend doing several pieces at the same time if you are planning on building additional airplanes in the future. It will save some setup time for the fence on your sander.

After the hardwood squares were sanded to the final dimension I rounded the corners off of the hardwood. This insured a better fit inside the fuselage tube. Next the hardwood was cut to length. I first inserted the hardwood in the aft fuselage flush with back end. I let the hardwood extend past the forward end of the aft fuselage by several inches. This allows for overlap into the forward fuselage. Next I glued the hardwood in place with SUMO GLUE. This glue is similar to GORILLA GLUE however it does not expand or foam as much. After the glue dried I inserted the forward fuselage and drilled the holes for the forward and aft sections in the stock fuselage coupling. The next step was to glue in another piece of hardwood into the forward fuselage section that butted up against the piece previously glued into the aft fuselage section. Remember the hardwood in the aft fuselage section extends into the forward fuselage section.
Jun 01, 2008, 10:08 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP

The next order of business was to assemble the Millennium RC X-Gear. I used the X-Gear on my stock Slow Stick and I really liked the design so I decided to use the gear on this project as well. The gear is very durable and comes in several colors. The instructions are good but could be a little better. The following is a link on build up of the X-Gear by the manufacture. Click Here to visit the X-Gear Build Thread
Jun 01, 2008, 10:50 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP

On my original Slow Stick I used a paint stick double backed tape to the stock plastic battery holder. I then used Velcro between the paint stick and the battery along with a piece of self sticking Velcro placed around the battery and looped around the fuselage. This worked very well but I also mounted my ESC to the Velcro loop that extended below the fuselage. This meant that anytime I removed to battery I would have to remove the ESC.

I decided to build the battery tray for this aircraft out of fiberglass sheet. I also added spacers made out of the same fiberglass between the battery tray and the fuselage. This would allow room for a piece of Velcro to be placed between the fuselage and battery tray on the forward and aft end to hold the battery firmly in place. The fiberglass battery tray was screwed to the fuselage with 3 counter sunk wood screws.

To hold the JustGoFly gearbox in place I used a small piece of fiberglass cut the same width as the fuselage and cut to a length that would fit inside the top portion of the JustGoFly gearbox. The fiberglass is held in place by a single countersunk wood screw. Once again I have to give credit to Craig for sharing this method of mounting the battery tray and the gearbox. I have not decide 100% yet, but I will probably build a small fiberglass piece and mount it to the bottom of the fuselage in the same manner to hold the Castle Creations Phoenix-45 ESC.
Jun 01, 2008, 11:04 PM
Tree Fodder
Interesting thread. Nice photo work.

Question: I notice you have the gear box oriented with the motor and shaft below the fuse. Would it not be preferable to invert it, so that the drive-line is in line with the wing? Just a thought.

-mb
Jun 01, 2008, 11:14 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP
MumblinBerk thanks for the compliments on the photos. I did ask about proper mounting of the gearbox motor up vs. motor down. I came to the conclusion that it is really a matter of prefrence and I went with what has worked with favorable results for others. Not to say I might not flip it around some time. Thanks again for the kind words!

Tailwinds,
Mark
Jun 02, 2008, 12:09 AM
FPV for Me
Looks Great.... I like how nice and clean everything is looking.
Good detail/pictures.

The battery tray is a good touch...just add a little Velcro fuzz to the top and it's good to go.

As far as the motor up are down I have used it both ways and it didn't seem to be that big of a difference. I guess if your plane tends to climb to much you may could flip it to see if it makes a change in how it flys.

You have a nice thread going keep the pics coming...
Last edited by TaSaJaRa; Oct 13, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
Jun 02, 2008, 06:31 PM
Rochester, NY
Very nice build thread. I'll have to make one of those plastic batter holders for my SS. I have my batteries behind the landing gear it really needs a platform to move it forward a few inches.

Let us know how this setup flys. I'd love a more acrobatic SS with lights embedded in the wing.

Vinnie
Jun 02, 2008, 11:11 PM
FPV for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoFly
Very nice build thread. I'll have to make one of those plastic batter holders for my SS. I have my batteries behind the landing gear it really needs a platform to move it forward a few inches.

Let us know how this setup flys. I'd love a more acrobatic SS with lights embedded in the wing.

Vinnie
That setup would be great to add lights to because it came uncovered.
Jun 07, 2008, 11:42 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Found this linked from Sir Raleighs build and WOW, this is a nice build thread. Great pics as others have mentioned. That is one SERIOUS power system you got there. The JGF is a great choice for this. I didn't even know Vinnie had gearboxes, and very nice looking ones at that!! This thing should be able to swing a large prop very efficiently.

Keep it coming, I will be watching for sure.

OH, the motor on top should give you more clearance between your prop and the ground. Less chance for a prop strike and more room for a larger prop.

Diggs
Jun 08, 2008, 08:26 AM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP
Thanks Diggs. It will be about a week or so before I continue with this project. I will try and keep things moving along when I return. I am also working on an AP plane and hope to do a thread on it as well. Thanks again!

Tailwinds,
Mark
Jun 08, 2008, 09:06 AM
There are four lights!
What prop do you plan to run? With a 3kv motor / 3.89 to 1 gb = 771 Kv
Your gonna need a very large prop --- 12x7 or 13x6.5 to get your amps.
I'm running a Mega 16/15/4 (2200kv) with 3 to 1 = 733kv a 11x5.5 = 150 watts WOT

Also, your gonna need to swap your GB around to get the clearence.
I'd love to know your AUW when your done. And total cost.
Looks great. Do the wings come covered if you want?

Kcar
Jun 08, 2008, 09:19 AM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP
Prop will be an APC 12x6E. The wing comes in several configurations unbuilt, built but not covered, built and covered. Covering opitons are trasparent yellow or transparent red. Custom covering is available but very expensive. You can check out the wings here Millennium RC.

Tailwinds,
Mark
Jun 08, 2008, 12:46 PM
There are four lights!
I'm only seeing 14.5 A on 3S and 22A on 4s...
Might want to gear down a little...

Kcar

Quick Reply