May 30, 2008, 02:45 PM
Heli Addict & Not Ashamed
Discussion

Inverted Flight Training Gear

So has anyone made a good set of training gear to practice inverted flying? I have seen the videos on youtube and there are some that are kind of a bunch of parts taped together. I am looking for a good clean easy to build set for a 180 size heli such as an EP Pro or walkera 52#. Once I find a good version I am going to build a larger scale version also for my Trex 450. So lets see those Pics, Videos, Ideas, Anything!!!
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2008, 03:36 PM
hover happy
Have you seen any videos where someone uses inverted training gear, and then sets their heli down moderately hard?

I'm pretty sure that any inverted landing gear that survives will weigh too much to be practical.

The other approach is to suspend your heli upside-down by one or more threads, tied to the landing gear, up through an eye hook and across the ceiling, with a very small weight at the end to take out the slack. I've seen at least one good video of this, can't recall if it was here or youtube, with a EP100 or 200.

-Jeff
May 30, 2008, 03:54 PM
Heli Addict & Not Ashamed
I have seen that one too but I wanted to try something that i could use outside so i dont have to go putting holes in my ceiling. there must be some type of material that is strong enough and light enough. I am not worried about the weight for the Trex, but it will need to be taken into consideration for the smaller CP helis!
May 30, 2008, 04:08 PM
hover happy
Graphite tube has the best strength/weight ratio for this, but you need a lot of it to build the legs out past the rotor disc.

I haven't done the math, but it might be even harder to do this with a Trex. Larger heli = heavier heli, so the gear needs to be stronger = heavier to survive landing. This basically cancels out the extra lifting power.

Don't let me stop you though...go ahead and build it! Take video.

-Jeff
May 30, 2008, 04:16 PM
hover happy
Here's another thought: fill a kiddie pool with foam packing peanuts, and practice inverted over that with some flimsy inverted training gear. Even if the gear breaks, the heli should be OK...

-Jeff
May 30, 2008, 05:06 PM
Put a Quark in it!
Get ballzy and just go inverted at a higher altitude. I have found that I fly really shi!!y when I am nervous, so first step would be to try (not easy) to calm your nerves. Being higher up in the air should help.

I would practice doing maneuvers that place you upside down and then bring you back to normal flight like loops and rolls. Then when you are comfortable getting the heli righted, then practice staying upside down for a while.

Of course we all know that the best inverted training gear ever made has got to be a simulator. It is very light, cheap to fix, and has GREAT battery life. I could stay inverted all day long with that.
May 30, 2008, 06:01 PM
Droner
I made a set of inverted training gear for my walkera 4#3 from 3 pcs. of 1mm. CF rod and some heatshrink, it's a circle with a cross mounted, you suspend the heli upside down in it, I was supposed to do a bigger version from 2 or 3mm. rod for 300 size helis, just never got around to it.
May 30, 2008, 06:13 PM
Team Mulikow
The simulator is your best training "gear". I practiced backflips on the sim then tried it for real. I did it and perfected collective management in a few weeks. Then I perfected nose in inverted hovering on the sim for a week. The following day I was hovering inverted. Of course before all these, I learned to fly really high (over 40 feet) and hover all orientations. Good news is, I learned inverted without crashing. So it is possible. But I use a CopterX 450. I think a good heli is very important. I wouldn't have achieved this with a CP2.
May 30, 2008, 06:18 PM
hover happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an
I made a set of inverted training gear for my walkera 4#3 from 3 pcs. of 1mm. CF rod and some heatshrink, it's a circle with a cross mounted, you suspend the heli upside down in it, I was supposed to do a bigger version from 2 or 3mm. rod for 300 size helis, just never got around to it.
ROFL....inverted training gear for a fixed pitch heli?

-Jeff
May 30, 2008, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an
(Yes we're awake)!

Inverted training gear,,,,,, Just fly over TALL grass. Gear over the head, is gonna throw the balance off, and if it's strong, it'll total your blades and such if it collapses. (It will).
Jun 04, 2008, 11:54 AM
Slowly Approaching 1,000
can't believe no one's posted this one yet:
blade cp inverted hover (1 min 48 sec)

The kid's got us all beat.

Though Spin, I really do want to try your kiddie pool idea just for the after affect of peanuts in the air!
Jun 04, 2008, 12:28 PM
Something Witty.
Or this one. It worked the first time.

Inverted training gear
3D-Chong Inverted Training Gear Day (5 min 47 sec)

Or this
3d training stand
helicopter training stand kit (3 min 43 sec)
Last edited by Court461; Jun 04, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Jun 04, 2008, 01:21 PM
Droner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinup
ROFL....inverted training gear for a fixed pitch heli?

-Jeff
Yep, I made a special set of blades to fly it inverted.

Like this:

rc Heli Piccolo fun FP inverted (0 min 37 sec)
Jun 04, 2008, 01:44 PM
hover happy

Also here's the hanging-by-a-thread video. This looks like the best approach. The heli is actually flying inverted, with no extra weight messing it up. And no worries about the gear breaking and destroying the heli when you touch down:

EP 100 inverted flight (1 min 52 sec)

That flying stand looks pretty cool though. Actually it reminds me of a desktop toy I saw a long time ago...something like this...

...but much better quality, an "executive toy", not a kids toy. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd like to find one for my office...

-Jeff
Jun 04, 2008, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinup
...but much better quality, an "executive toy", not a kids toy. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd like to find one for my office...

-Jeff
A bit off topic, but,,, Are you in the US? The one you have pictured is in most toy stores. The bigger version, 4.5' circle diameter, has also been resurrected in the last 3 years. Also available at Toys R Us, etc.