May 29, 2008, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

A123 in Art Hobby Sailplanes?

Hello,
I am getting back into sailplanes after a few years layoff and have recently ordered a Cox Dust Devil, on sale, just to get warmed up with, and to have a smaller 2-meter plane.

But now I am starting to think about a larger 2.5 - 3.2 meter aileron or fullhouse sailplane and really like the looks and value of the Art Hobby offerings.

I have managed to skip right thru the LiPo craze, gives you an idea how long of a layoff, and after reading up on the options have decided to use A123 cells instead. I happened to have a Orbit charger that is upgradeable to charge them with, so that is not an issue.

I just need to know if they will fit side by side in the Art Hobby fuselages? Or if not all models, which particular ones. I plan on using either 3 or 4 of the 2300mah cells.

Anybody know for sure if they will fit? Details please.

I've E-mailed Art Hobbies with the same question, but have gotten no responce yet to my inquiry.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2008, 11:24 PM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
Have you seen or held A123 cells? Think D cell (roughly). Not sure which Art Hobby plane you're thinking of, but the ones I looked at, they are skinny fuselages.
May 30, 2008, 03:00 AM
Super Secret Agent
RX7...

The A123 cells are great...if they'll fit. The individual cells are approximately 27mm (D), and 65mm (L). If you're making your own packs you might be able to configure them for a proper fit. In my Reichard Champion, and Sig Riser 100...I use them in the old fashioned 2x2 configuration and that works fine.

My suggestion would be to take an old broom handle, and cut it to the approx dimensions of X # of cells. Arrange the wood pieces in various configurations until you find a layout that would work. Use that as the model for your pack construction.

A nice feature of the A123's is that they do not need to be removed from the model for charging, so you don't really need EZ access to the pack at the field.
May 30, 2008, 03:37 AM
Horizon Hobby Team Member
I have got a high aspect, no way to put A123 2300 side by side, I use 2200mA lipo in 3S. May be the smallers cells A123 1100mA will fit.
May 30, 2008, 04:32 AM
ThermalKing uses them in his Ibis, he's very happy with them. I believe he has end-to-end sticks, but he should chime in here..
..a
May 30, 2008, 06:25 AM
Jeff Carr
I use the A123 in my JW Onyx E in a stick configuration. 4s1p into a CC80 and a Kontronics Fun 600/18 4:1 and a 17x10 prop pulling 65 amps. It doesnt even get warm. The stick pack will fit in mine but the art hobby stuff is very very thin.

To balance mine I used a 5 cell stick pack for the receiver and put it down the fuse boom.

Jeff
May 30, 2008, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks everyone for the replies:

Guz, Yes I have a few of both the 1100mah and 2300 mah cells, and yes the 2300 mah cells are quite large. but I only need 3-4. What I do not have is a bunch of Hobby Art fuselages to test fit them into.

Sruelle, Thanks for the input on the Hi-Aspect, I can cross that one off of the list, and I think it is the same as the Revo.

Andy, It would be great to confirm that they fit into the Ibis/Serenity fuselage. From various threads I have gathered that this is the largest of the Hobby Art pods, and may be my best bet. I will try to PM Thermalking and find out the details of his pack configuration.

Mark
May 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
Why did you cross off the high-aspect?

It's got as much room as the others, in stick configuration you could fit in quite a few. I can't imagine any sailplane that you could fit them in side-by-side, however.

In fact, Jay has almost talked me into trying some A123's, and for my Topaz - which has a much smaller pod than any other model I own - they may be the only workable solution..
..a
May 30, 2008, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Good point Andy, I had not really thought about a single row stick configuration. I had in my head either a two stick side by side 4 cell pack or a 3 cell triangle pack. Sometimes the answer is as easy as that, 3-4 cells in a single stick.

I really like the Hi-aspect so maybe I will just have to order one and give it a go. The worst case situation would be that I would need to make a custom pod, or order a pod or fuselage from the Ibis/Serenity which I think is a little larger.

Mark
May 30, 2008, 03:14 PM
Two sticks side by side is what I meant. Single stick would be too long.

I think you are getting terminology confused - a side-by-side pack has the cells in parallel - [] [] [] [] [] [] - the width of the pack is the length of a single cell. A stick pack has the cells joined end-to-end, in series, but you can have two (or more) sticks parallel to each other -
[][]
[][]
[][] (for example)..
..a
May 30, 2008, 05:29 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
RX7MARK - the Cox Dust Devil will be a great plane for your return to Gliders. I just finished tuning mine and I'm quite impressed with it. I can fit the 2x2 4s A123 pack in it, but the esc that I have does not play well with the A123s. The DD was designed around 7 cell LMR motors and batteries, so you will need a decently heavy motor and battery to get it to balance. The 10 oz or so in the 4s A123 will go to good use - well, beter than lead I had to replace the ball links - they were smarter than me - if you run into any problems with the build, PM me. I have a new favorite plane.

Sorry for the OT - Back to the real topic...

JimNM
May 30, 2008, 06:16 PM
smokin electrons...
you can solder the A123's end to end for them to fit, but this must be done using a different way. I have fit a 4S A123 in a small 54" moldie.

good luck...
Jun 01, 2008, 12:43 AM
My Soul is High
Mark,
You mentioned the AH 2.5 M ships also. I am in the process of building
a Castor. It is not entirely built yet, however, I did a dry fit up with all
the components and it is coming out nose heavy with a 3s 2500 Lipo.
That would leave the Castor out for 123 cells. HEAVY!
When was the last time I had a plane come out NOSE heavy!!!
Barry
Jun 01, 2008, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Why did you cross off the high-aspect?

It's got as much room as the others, in stick configuration you could fit in quite a few.
Not really. The Hi Aspect fuselage is much thinner. Serenity or the Ibis have a fatter fuselage and are much stronger (I have both the Hi Aspect and the Serenity for comparison). I'd be striking off the Hi Aspect too. Sure you can fit A123 is stick configuration in the Hi Aspect, BUT by the time that you fit the length of it, it really doesn't leave much room for anything else .
Jun 01, 2008, 08:53 PM
Not if you get the Hi Aspect with the serenity fuse they are anow selling. I am (slowly)building an electro version now and you'd easily get those batteries in there.

Quick Reply