May 27, 2008, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

GWS-SLOWSTICK - need help completing parts order

I've been flying the $30 RC planes in a hangar for a few months now, but I was laid off from the job where I had hangar access. Now I want to start flying larger birds.

I got a Bellanca Decathlon from Hobby-Lobby a month or so ago for $89, and had a few really good flights with it. Then I got ambitious and flew it in a high wind. It crashed. It really wasn't the best plane for a beginner anyway, although it did fly well in calm conditions. I actually landed it four of it's seven flights, and the other three 'landings' weren't bad either, they all just ended with the greasy side up.

So I'm thinking I need something a bit better to fly around. I have a field near me that is too small for the Decathlon, so I'd like a slower plane I can fly in that field. I've got my sights set on two planes, this Slowstick Combo and the
Mountain Models Magpie
(with both wings). I'll be starting off with the Slowstick first.

Here's my thought process:

Start with the above-linked Slowstick, cannibalize the servos and Tx/Rx from my Decathlon, and learn to fly in the smaller field I have easily available.

As I get better, I'll purchase the Magpie kit on the Mountain Models page, and use the electronics from the Slowstick. I've read most of the Magpie threads (going all the way back to 2004) and it seems that the outrunner in the slowstick package should work pretty well in the Magpie.

Eventually replace the 27MHz Tx/Rx with a 2.4 Spektrum DX6i as funding allows.

In the mean time, I need a prop for the SS. They're cheap, so I figure I'll get a few. http://www.gravesrc.com/category_s/167.htm .

I also need a LiPo, and I'm looking for a decent deal on some. I have a few I could 'borrow' in the mean time, but I need one of my own.

Any input to any of this would be greatly appreciated. After all, you guys are the experts!
Last edited by The Raddish; May 27, 2008 at 02:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2008, 03:28 PM
Loong Max Lipos At http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2055
Are priced right & quite a few on foem use them
Sayers 1 ( Jerry )
May 27, 2008, 03:52 PM
Funny how alike you and I think.

My upgrade/learning path and throught process were as follows.

1) Get the slow stick to learn how to build and fly on calm days.

2) Get a Magpie or a MultiPlex Minimag to learn ailerons and fly on windier days.

3) Get a Zagi 5C slope glider to fly on *really* windy days.

Ultimately I went with the MiniMag over the Magpie, but it really was a toss up.

I have all 3 kits in the house and on the workbench. Abotu 90% done with the slowstick. Just gotta wire up the electronics. Next I'll build the minimag, then the zagi.

I also got a Spectrum DX6i. Haven't opened it yet. Waiting until my slowstick is all built.

Meanwhile, I fly the skyfly and practice on a G4 sim when I can't get out to fly.

Baby steps....
May 27, 2008, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Wow, the 2S 1800 Long Max's are only $14! I think I just found my power source. Thanks!

Does anyone have any input as to an ideal prop for the setup in the GWS link above? The SS Combo includes:

1 GWS SLOWSTICK
1 BP 18AMP ESC CONTROLLER
1 BPA2212-10 OUTRUNNER MOTOR
1 EFLM1915 Stick Mount

REQUIRES A 2 CELL 1300-2100 MaH LIPO
May 27, 2008, 07:23 PM
Here is my data sheet from testing a 2212/10. On just 2-cells I guess you could try a 10x6 GWS HD - I really don't think that, at 1400Kv, it is the right motor for a Slow Stick which is better served by a lower Kv motor and a bigger prop - I fly mine with a 740Kv Axi 2212/34 and an 11x7 GWS HD at 10A.

That said, with an 8x4 GWS HD on 3s you'd be okay (27oz is plenty!).
Old May 27, 2008, 11:01 PM
TommyB
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while TommyB edits it.
May 28, 2008, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
Here is my data sheet from testing a 2212/10. On just 2-cells I guess you could try a 10x6 GWS HD - I really don't think that, at 1400Kv, it is the right motor for a Slow Stick which is better served by a lower Kv motor and a bigger prop - I fly mine with a 740Kv Axi 2212/34 and an 11x7 GWS HD at 10A.

That said, with an 8x4 GWS HD on 3s you'd be okay (27oz is plenty!).
Thanks for the information.

I wanted to get into an outrunner that could also be used in the Magpie, and GravesRC includes the 2212/10 and an ESC in their setup. Do you not think that the setup sold by Graves for $50 is a good way to go? If not, do you recommend another kit sold elsewhere?

The $50 GravesRC Kit includes:
1 GWS SLOWSTICK
1 BP 18AMP ESC CONTROLLER
1 BPA2212-10 OUTRUNNER MOTOR
1 EFLM1915 Stick Mount
and it only requires:
A 2 CELL 1300-2100 MaH LIPO battery
Radio: 2-4 Channel
(2-channel for glider)
Servos: 2 Naro,Micro,or Mini servos
(1-elevator, 1-rudder)
PROPELLER
Misc. Items: Building and field equipment.
I have servos and a radio I can pull from my Bellanca Decathlon, and the Long Max LiPos mentioned above are a steal. All that's left is a prop, and I'm flying for under $80.

Is there a better way to go to get started with a Slowstick and an outrunner that I can use later?

Quick Reply