This thread is privately moderated by HyperHelis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 27, 2008, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

My work

Remember, just because it doesnt come from a manufacture in bright and shiny aluminum, doesnt mean its not the real deal!
I've been flying for many years now and i've used the same techniques time and time again! Well I don't know about you guys but i've had enough! I finally got tired of my heli flying off into something while trying to test the gyro or even trying to setup the cg on my machine using my fingertips and taking an estimated guess everytime! Not anymore, I need some input on my design from you guys here. I have finally finished them, they have been tested rigorously. I will be posting a video showing the setup of my gyro stand and cg stand. If my manual is followed correctly you will get endless tests out of my stands. I know i've wanted to purchase one of those expensive gyro stands for a long time but I just could'nt afford to put out $100.00-$200.00 on a nice alluminum stand that my heli "might" be able to fit on! Well that was my reason for these stands, I set out to build a worthy and affordable cg & gyro stand. They both come with two coats of polyurethane clear coat. The base of the Cg stand is true and square to the posts so you could easily add a 2 inch level to the base of the Cg stand and square up your mainshaft with the posts. I use nylon bushings and mylar washers to keep the gyro stand from having interfearing friction. I could have machined aluminum with bearings but I believe that would have contradicted the purpose here! Hence the "inexpensive gyro stand"! The base and mast are screwed and epoxied together, so it will not come apart unless you abuse the gyro stand. The bases of both stands come covered with foam rubber, also the deck of the gyro stand is covered in foam rubber. I build these by hand and test everyone with my own machines rigorously. Keep in mind that these are made mainly for motor driven tail type helis and not for high power machines. I use the gyro stand with my compy 300 "which is under going some improvements " with no problems while running at 2400rpm full pitch +10! Everyone comes with a manual for the does and dont's of the gyro stand, and if followed correctly the stand will give you many tests before showing signs of wear. I have not been able to wear one out!
So please vote and let me know?

The Cg and Gyro stands will work with:
Blade cp
HBFP
HBCP
freestyle-hobby mod HB
Walkera 4
Twister cp
Compy 300
Aftermarket s-skids
All other micro helis that can compare to the machines listed above.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2008, 12:26 PM
Build it, don't buy it
John, (only thing I could pull out of your username that seemed appropriate)

I am not a heli guy, but wanted to respond anyway, give you my thoughts. I feel I have something to offer in regards to design details, and business considerations.
I like to see people solve problems themselves, create their own equipment, and not feed the marketing monster.
To minimized friction on the gyro stand, you might want to go with steel washers and thrust bearings. This would add very little to your cost, and reduce friction further. I would also suggest lightening the moving platform as much as possible, less weight => less friction => less inertia.
I imagine you are planning to try marketing these yourself. I can't say for sure (it always amazes me what people will buy), but some people will see the simplicity in your design and simply build there own. This is where the shiny stuff has the edge, you might want to look at metals, as these materials are more intimidating to the consumer. Again, I don't think it would add significantly to your cost, or the complexity of construction.
You might also want to do a patent search, I don't believe this will be an issue, but you don't want some lawyer knocking on your door a year from now, asking for his clients cut.
There are also liability issues, I am Canadian so our laws differ slightly, but if the heli flies off the stand the potential for property damage/personal injury is significant.
Incorporation may alleviate some of these concerns.

Another option may be offering plans, instead of products.

I am sorry to "rain on your parade", but it is important to be forewarned.

Just my two cents, I wish you well,

Regards,
foam.

PS: After you have read and considered this post, you may want to delete it, I'd hate to give your future customers any ideas that will hinder your venture. In retrospect I should have PM'ed you.
Last edited by foamnpacktape; May 30, 2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: PS

Quick Reply