May 27, 2008, 03:59 AM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
Help!

Mike F / Motor Mike , i need your help !

Mike i have a Jive 80 LV from the first production run. I keep reading about problems with the initial software. It is quite an effort to return to Germany for upgrading so i only want to do it when it is fixed.

Can you tell me if you have the Jive sorted out yet.?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hi Ozace,

we don't have real problems.
We lowered a bit this protection. Thats the only change til now.

3x flashing

Here's an explanation of the new "setup watch" feature of the Jives ESC, which can produce 3 flashes during intialization/selftest.
The new Jives controller will verify, if the setup it is connected to, is adequate before allowing start-up, or,
in other words, if the setup with the motor and battery used can be operated safely and reliably by the controller.
During the test process, the controller will measure the motor's inductivity in relation to the battery voltage,
to predict whether it will cause a large ripple under part throttle operation.
The Jives will only allow a certain level of ripple, to prevent any damage to the controller.
This is actually a safety feature, that will also detect a defective motor.
To picture the effect of ripple, imagine trying to run a motor that produces large "kickback" pulses (~32000 per sec.) towards the controller; this may work for a while but will will damage the controller over time. The Jives ESC will look for and prevent such operation.
The Jazz ESC (and those of competitors) don't test for this condition; the setup may work for a while, but sooner or later a component will fail.
Thus this feature is not a limitation of the controller but rather a meaningful protective function, and a helpful device to evaluate the setup.
To correct this condition, you can reduce the battery voltage or choose a different motor (with higher inductivity, not to be confused with internal resistance)
or another controller (but please do not endanger a Kontronik controller)
Altrernatively we will take the controller back
Jun 03, 2008, 01:12 AM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
Thanks, mine is comming back to Germany for warranty. I am not happy with the way it works so far, i think it may be faulty.

Quick Reply