Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old May 23, 2008, 11:45 AM
170flyer is offline
Find More Posts by 170flyer
Registered User
Discussion

Latex paint?


Has anyone used Latex house paint over fiberglass?
I have two aircraft that are getting close to pain.
I have glassed them with 1/2 oz. cloth.
what type of primer do I use and will the latex paint
flake off? should I use a clear coat? if so what brand?
It is an electric aircraft.
thanks in advance for all the info.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2008, 01:15 PM
Lou is offline
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
int sanity = null;
I don't know the answer but you will probably get a lot of good advice in the composite and fab forum. ...

https://www.rcgroups.com/composites-fabrication-210/

They deal with exactly what you are doing and can offer some pretty good advice.

Remember this is a holiday weekend for the U.S. so the answer may be slow in the comming.
Last edited by Lou; May 23, 2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:24 PM
IPFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Registered User
Why would you want to use latex paint over glass??? Since it is glass, you can use any paint you like including auto enamels (think pearlescents, shimmers, etc.)
Old Jun 03, 2008, 01:49 PM
170flyer is offline
Find More Posts by 170flyer
Registered User
IPFlyer- I like the wide variety of colors and the price. I build scale a/c and I am using glass for the first time, I use to use monocote. any paint you can recommend that I can match any color I need??
thanks.

LouieB - Thanks for the links, very helpful.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 01:31 PM
pyroarch57 is offline
Find More Posts by pyroarch57
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 170flyer
Has anyone used Latex house paint over fiberglass?
I have two aircraft that are getting close to pain.
I have glassed them with 1/2 oz. cloth.
what type of primer do I use and will the latex paint
flake off? should I use a clear coat? if so what brand?
It is an electric aircraft.
thanks in advance for all the info.
I wouldn`t use it. It wont adhere well, and will easily flake off.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 03:29 PM
SPasierb is offline
Find More Posts by SPasierb
Team JR Air
SPasierb's Avatar
Latex absolutely works, offers an array of colors, easy on the lungs, etc. It does require it's own set of considerations, preparation, etc. Every year at the WRAM Show one of the seminars is Latex Finishing presented by Roy Vaillancourt, a fine scale modeler who had done many a spectacular RC warbird. I'll try to hunt up my handouts from a few years back. You might also want to search the WRAM website.

http://www.houstonhobbies.com/tips/p...ying-latex.pdf
Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:34 AM
Rudderman98 is offline
Find More Posts by Rudderman98
AMA 670207
Rudderman98's Avatar
My Beverly is painted with Valspar latex house paint from Home Depot sprayed over Doculam and Ultracote. You can use any brand. You can spray over fiberglass but you must first scuff the surface that you are painting with either steel wool, Scotch Brite pad, or sandpaper. Preferrably around 320 grit for sandpaper, white pad for Scotch Brite, and 000 for steel wool. Then wipe down the entire model with either denatured alcohol or acetone. After the wipe down, tack it down with a tac rag. Basically, a rag saturated with beeswax to collect all dust of the surface without leaving any residue for a nice smooth finish. You can get them at any autobody supply house or your local hardware store.

You have to thin down the latex before spraying it with windshield washer fluid. You know, the blue stuff. The cheaper, the better. The reason for windshield washer fluid is that it has a bit of alcohol which aids in the drying time and helps to relieve surface tension letting the paint flow better. You can also add a bit of "Flowtrol" which also aids in a better flow rate of the paint and helps it smooth out nicely.

The latex adheres very well once dry. Complete cure time is around 30 days to fully cure. After that, it is very durable and does not scratch off easily. Notice I said cure time not dry time. It dries in a day but is easily scratched. A week dry time is enough to let you enjoy your model without much damage.

SPasierb's tip about Ray Vaillancourt's tutorial about latex painting is where I got started. You can use flat latex or even gloss. After fully curing out for the recommended 30 days, you can also clear coat over the paint with automotive clears if you wish for an even more durable finish.

Somewhere on the web is the entire areticle from Ray Vaillancourt's latex tutorial. I believe it was with Model Airplane News.

Perry
Last edited by Rudderman98; Nov 15, 2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 08:33 AM
SPasierb is offline
Find More Posts by SPasierb
Team JR Air
SPasierb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98
SPasierb's tip about Ray Vaillancourt's tutorial about latex painting is where I got started. You can use flat latex or even gloss. After fully curing out for the recommended 30 days, you can also clear coat over the paint with automotive clears if you wish for an even more durable finish.

Somewhere on the web is the entire areticle from Ray Vaillancourt's latex tutorial. I believe it was with Model Airplane News.

Perry
Beautiful job! Thanks so much for sharing these pictures.

The link I posted above it the Model Airplane News article -- thankfully the link is still active. I plan to go to Ray's workshop again this winter. Will scoop up all of the handouts and scan them.

All good wishes,
Steve
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:22 PM
FLJetFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by FLJetFlyer
Registered User
FLJetFlyer's Avatar
Great paint job Perry!
Like the colors you used. What colors are those?

I think they are very close to the scheme I want to do in the Mirage I am building. I plan to paint in latex as well, hopefully it will turn up ok as this will be my first latex job.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958479

Thanks,
Gaston
Last edited by FLJetFlyer; Nov 26, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:46 PM
SRush99 is offline
Find More Posts by SRush99
Registered User
SRush99's Avatar
I had marked Roy's article as a favorite but it looks like it was moved or deleted. I recently repainted a 95" KMP B-25 using Behr outdoor latex from Home Depot. The windshield washer fluid makes a great thinner and the flowtrol retards the drying time. The paint will go on with a slight bit of orange peel at first but will be nice and smooth by the time it dries. The plane had been painted with auto acrylic flat which made a perfect base. Best thing about it is you can have HD mix what ever color you want. Here's some pics
Last edited by SRush99; Nov 27, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:58 PM
SRush99 is offline
Find More Posts by SRush99
Registered User
SRush99's Avatar
Found it!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...s_/ai_n8929737

Good luck!

-Stuart
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:11 AM
Rudderman98 is offline
Find More Posts by Rudderman98
AMA 670207
Rudderman98's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtanoira
Great paint job Perry!
Like the colors you used. What colors are those?
Thanks,
Gaston
Gaston,
Here are the colors I used. Got the paint from Lowes. They are the brown and the tan.


Beautiful job Stuart! Thanks for the link to Roy's tutorial.

Perry
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:11 PM
FLJetFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by FLJetFlyer
Registered User
FLJetFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98
Gaston,
Here are the colors I used. Got the paint from Lowes. They are the brown and the tan.


Beautiful job Stuart! Thanks for the link to Roy's tutorial.

Perry
Thanks Perry. I didn't know Lowes sold paint in half-pint qty.
Good option, as a quart for each color is way too much for plane painting.

Gaston
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:30 PM
SPasierb is offline
Find More Posts by SPasierb
Team JR Air
SPasierb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99
The version with photos is still live too FWIW...

http://www.houstonhobbies.com/tips/p...ying-latex.pdf
Old Dec 11, 2008, 06:55 AM
pugstrip is offline
Find More Posts by pugstrip
Registered User

latex


Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99
I had marked Roy's article as a favorite but it looks like it was moved or deleted. I recently repainted a 95" KMP B-25 using Behr outdoor latex from Home Depot. The windshield washer fluid makes a great thinner and the flowtrol retards the drying time. The paint will go on with a slight bit of orange peel at first but will be nice and smooth by the time it dries. The plane had been painted with auto acrylic flat which made a perfect base. Best thing about it is you can have HD mix what ever color you want. Here's some pics
is the latex fuel proof?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latex paint rcnutt Foamies (Kits) 3 Jan 05, 2003 12:49 PM
Latex paint ? steve lewin Electric Plane Talk 5 Apr 08, 2002 03:15 PM
High gloss with Latex paint? KAMarks Sport Planes 6 Dec 11, 2001 08:07 AM